Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2009, 05:50 PM

3 posts, read 7,099 times

Advertisements

When you were an infant, did you fully understand why you were baptized? Look up the background on the word "Baptism" it will lead you to a word "Baptismo" which means to be emmersed or under water. Then once you understand that, Read Acts 2:38, is this what you done when you were baptized. Many get confused today about baptism. I have friends that were just like you, that were baptized at young ages because of their parents belief, and after being brought to the truth, they were baptized again. You might refer to Ephesians 4, where it speaks of 1 baptism, but that 1 baptism involves the right mind set as well.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:20 PM

9 posts, read 14,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heath7946 View Post
When you were an infant, did you fully understand why you were baptized? Look up the background on the word "Baptism" it will lead you to a word "Baptismo" which means to be emmersed or under water. Then once you understand that, Read Acts 2:38, is this what you done when you were baptized. Many get confused today about baptism. I have friends that were just like you, that were baptized at young ages because of their parents belief, and after being brought to the truth, they were baptized again. You might refer to Ephesians 4, where it speaks of 1 baptism, but that 1 baptism involves the right mind set as well.

It's actually BAPTIZO or BAPTISMA, which translates to IMMERSION. No where does baptism referenced in the Bible to be inclusive of water baptism unless specifically stated. That seems to be the reasonable explination why the apostles specifially mention "Baptism", and "Baptism by water", at different times, because obvisouly, there is a difference. If that weren't the case, why such concentration on the versus verified over and over in Matthew 3:11, Mark 1:8, Luke 3:16, John 1:33, and Acts 11:16. Again, how can people just dismiss these versus who each validify each other?
Check it out.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:35 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I have been to about every main sect of the common christian religions and the basics seem the same to me.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,524 times
Smile Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Thank God, I finally took a stand, I am free. Rob, you are thinking United Churches of Christ. Yes they accept homosexuality.
Free from what? Please tell us what you were free from? Do you accept the Bible as the inspired Word of God or not?

Old 07-25-2009, 09:36 AM

15 posts, read 22,248 times
Hi boonedoggle! I am so glad you've started reading for yourself. I was in the same situation in my twenties. I decided I was going to see if what my parents taught me was the truth, and I began to study. I seldom miss a day of reading the Bible or related material, and I am now 38. I make it family devo at night in my house.

Every time we sin, the Bible says WE CRUCIFY the Son of God afresh. Hebrews 6:6, "If they shall fall away, to renew them again to repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame." This is talking about those who were once saved and fell away from God, how by doing this puts Christ to an open shame and crucifies him afresh (anew, once more). Now, if we symbolically crucify him, shouldn't we do EXACTLY what the Jews were told to do to get rid of that sin?

Look at the house of Cornelius in Acts 10. Long story short: Peter had received a vision from God preparing him to accept the Gentiles. This is the ONLY story where the Spirit was given to folks before being saved. It was to PROVE to all Jews that God accepted the Gentiles. He had to show them something miraculous (miracles were to prove the action was indeed from God) to prove God condoned it. Now, look in verses 47-48, "Can any man forbid water that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we? And he COMMANDED them to be baptized in the name of the Lord...." You have to remember that Christ spoke the words of God, John 8:28, and the Apostles spoke what Jesus taught them, John 17:20 (Jesus prayed for those that would believe on him through the Apostle's word) and Matthew 28:20, "teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you." ALL scripture is given by the inspiration of God, II Timothy 3:16. This literally means "God breathed" in the Greek, like God breathed these words.

Saul, who was later called Paul, had been persecuting the Church and killing Christians. He said he was doing "in all good conscience" what he thought was right. He was on his way to Damascus when he saw the Lord. Jesus himself told Saul in Acts 9:6 to "..go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou MUST do." He was stricken blind, and did not even eat or drink for 3 days. He was certainly a penitent man. He wasn't saved yet, or else he would have been rejoicing. Ananias came to him, as the Lord requested, to tell him what that MUST was. Acts 9:17-18, "And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul (he was a brother in the Jewish sense), the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as you came, has sent me, that you might receive sight, AND be filled with the Holy Ghost. And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received his sight forthwith, and arose and WAS BAPTIZED. (Notice here that he talked about receiving the Holy Ghost. When do we receive the Holy Ghost? The answer is in Acts 2:38, "Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." They had to be baptized to receive that gift, just like we do today.) Acts 22 is where Paul is recounting his experience. He was asked, Acts 22:16, "And now why tarriest thou? Arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord." This is another good point; "calling on the name of the Lord" is when we are baptized.

In I Peter 3:21, the Bible says baptism SAVES us. "The like figure (manner) whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), by the resurrection of Jesus Christ." This is not like taking a bath to remove dirt. It symbolically removes the dirt of sin and clears our conscience, just like the water was not the saving feature in Naaman's dipping in the river Jordan (II Kings 5) It was his obedience to God's command. Do you think he would have received the cleansing if he had not done what God said? What if he had done it in another river, or only 5 times? He definitely wouldn't have been cleansed. In fact, he was mad that the man of God told him to do this. He thought he would've came out and said a few words, and he would be healed, verses 11-13.

Look at the Ethiopian Eunuch in Acts 8. He was a God fearing man. He already believed in God. Verse 35 only says that Phillip "preached to him Jesus". Preaching Jesus MUST include baptism, or else the eunuch asked a crazy question in verse 36, "And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?" Why did he ask to be baptized? Because preaching Jesus entails what Jesus told his followers to teach, and baptism is a part of it. Another good point can be made from this text. Baptism is an immersion "down into water". Verse 38, "And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Phillip and the eunuch; and he baptized him."

Look at the Philippian Jailer in Acts 16. He asked Paul and Silas in verse 30, "What MUST I do to be saved?" This man hadn't even heard of the Lord, so they began by telling him to believe. Then, "they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house. And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his straightway (immediately)." Notice in verse 34 "believing in God with all his house". Believing in God means believing all he has to say on any one subject. Baptism was part of that "preaching the word of the Lord". Have you noticed that they ALWAYS baptized immediately? As soon as the Word was preached, and they had a penitant, believing person, they immediately baptized them.

Jesus himself said in Matthew 28:19-20, "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even to the end of the world." Mark 16:15-16, "And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believes and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believes not shall be damned." Notice preaching the gospel entails baptism, doesn't it? You will have some say that because Jesus did not say "he that believes not and is not baptized" means you don't have to be baptized. But, if you don't believe, you WON'T be baptized anyway. Well, look at this analogy, if you will: He who eats(believes) and is filled (baptized) will be satisfied (saved); but he who does not eat (does not believe) will starve (be damned). If one doesn't eat, one will not be filled, and therefore will starve. If one doesn't believe, one won't be baptized, and therefore will be damned. Why did Jesus need to say any more than what he did. It is self explanatory.

Jesus was also baptized (this is recounted in several places, but I will give Matthew 3:13-17). Why? To fulfill all righteousness. He is our example to follow. Have you noticed that God didn't refer to him as His son until after His baptism? That was pointed out to me in a sermon once. I find that interesting.

Now, you are correct in saying that baptism simply means an immersion. The baptizing with the Holy Spirit and fire that John was saying Jesus would do certainly came to be. He DID baptize the Apostles with the Holy Ghost in Acts 2 when they received that miraculous ability to speak in other languages they had never studied, heal the sick, raise the dead. He did so in Acts 10, as discussed above, to prove the Gentiles were worthy of salvation. The Apostles needed this power to prove they were men sent from God himself. John was foretelling of this. The "fire" literally means Hell fire. Anyone not obeying the Lord WILL be immersed in the eternal flames of Hell, thus being baptized with fire. Look at verse 12. You must take the whole before coming to a conclusion.

I thank you so much for your concern for the Lord's precious Word. My advice to all is 1. Read ALL the Bible has to say on any one subject before coming to a conclusion. 2. If the Bible seems to contradict itself in one passage, you are the one that is wrong. Study more on the subject because the Bible doesn't contradict itself. 3. Get a "Stong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible" so you may learn what the original Hebrew and Greek words mean. It will also be a great tool when you think of a verse but can't remember where it is found. 4. Pray that God will guide you in your study and that you will be open-minded. 5. Study with a member of the church of Christ (not to take their word, but to help you know where to look for certain things).

God bless you

Old 07-25-2009, 09:52 AM

Smile Response to boonedoggle

Hi boonedoggle! I am so glad you've started reading for yourself. I was in the same situation in my twenties. I decided I was going to see if what my parents taught me was the truth, and I began to study. I seldom miss a day of reading the Bible or related material, and I am now 38. I make it family devo at night in my house.

Every time we sin, the Bible says WE CRUCIFY the Son of God afresh. Hebrews 6:6, "If they shall fall away, to renew them again to repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame." This is talking about those who were once saved and fell away from God, how by doing this puts Christ to an open shame and crucifies him afresh (anew, once more). Now, if we symbolically crucify him, shouldn't we do EXACTLY what the Jews were told to do to get rid of that sin?

Look at the house of Cornelius in Acts 10. Long story short: Peter had received a vision from God preparing him to accept the Gentiles. This is the ONLY story where the Spirit was given to folks before being saved. It was to PROVE to all Jews that God accepted the Gentiles. He had to show them something miraculous (miracles were to prove the action was indeed from God) to prove God condoned it. Now, look in verses 47-48, "Can any man forbid water that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we? And he COMMANDED them to be baptized in the name of the Lord...." You have to remember that Christ spoke the words of God, John 8:28, and the Apostles spoke what Jesus taught them, John 17:20 (Jesus prayed for those that would believe on him through the Apostle's word) and Matthew 28:20, "teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you." ALL scripture is given by the inspiration of God, II Timothy 3:16. This literally means "God breathed" in the Greek, like God breathed these words.

Saul, who was later called Paul, had been persecuting the Church and killing Christians. He said he was doing "in all good conscience" what he thought was right. He was on his way to Damascus when he saw the Lord. Jesus himself told Saul in Acts 9:6 to "..go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou MUST do." He was stricken blind, and did not even eat or drink for 3 days. He was certainly a penitent man. He wasn't saved yet, or else he would have been rejoicing. Ananias came to him, as the Lord requested, to tell him what that MUST was. Acts 9:17-18, "And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul (he was a brother in the Jewish sense), the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as you came, has sent me, that you might receive sight, AND be filled with the Holy Ghost. And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received his sight forthwith, and arose and WAS BAPTIZED. (Notice here that he talked about receiving the Holy Ghost. When do we receive the Holy Ghost? The answer is in Acts 2:38, "Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." They had to be baptized to receive that gift, just like we do today.) Acts 22 is where Paul is recounting his experience. He was asked, Acts 22:16, "And now why tarriest thou? Arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord." This is another good point; "calling on the name of the Lord" is when we are baptized.

In I Peter 3:21, the Bible says baptism SAVES us. "The like figure (manner) whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), by the resurrection of Jesus Christ." This is not like taking a bath to remove dirt. It symbolically removes the dirt of sin and clears our conscience, just like the water was not the saving feature in Naaman's dipping in the river Jordan (II Kings 5) It was his obedience to God's command. Do you think he would have received the cleansing if he had not done what God said? What if he had done it in another river, or only 5 times? He definitely wouldn't have been cleansed. In fact, he was mad that the man of God told him to do this. He thought he would've came out and said a few words, and he would be healed, verses 11-13.

Look at the Ethiopian Eunuch in Acts 8. He was a God fearing man. He already believed in God. Verse 35 only says that Phillip "preached to him Jesus". Preaching Jesus MUST include baptism, or else the eunuch asked a crazy question in verse 36, "And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?" Why did he ask to be baptized? Because preaching Jesus entails what Jesus told his followers to teach, and baptism is a part of it. Another good point can be made from this text. Baptism is an immersion "down into water". Verse 38, "And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Phillip and the eunuch; and he baptized him."

Look at the Philippian Jailer in Acts 16. He asked Paul and Silas in verse 30, "What MUST I do to be saved?" This man hadn't even heard of the Lord, so they began by telling him to believe. Then, "they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house. And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his straightway (immediately)." Notice in verse 34 "believing in God with all his house". Believing in God means believing all he has to say on any one subject. Baptism was part of that "preaching the word of the Lord". Have you noticed that they ALWAYS baptized immediately? As soon as the Word was preached, and they had a penitant, believing person, they immediately baptized them.

Jesus himself said in Matthew 28:19-20, "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even to the end of the world." Mark 16:15-16, "And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believes and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believes not shall be damned." Notice preaching the gospel entails baptism, doesn't it? You will have some say that because Jesus did not say "he that believes not and is not baptized" means you don't have to be baptized. But, if you don't believe, you WON'T be baptized anyway. Well, look at this analogy, if you will: He who eats(believes) and is filled (baptized) will be satisfied (saved); but he who does not eat (does not believe) will starve (be damned). If one doesn't eat, one will not be filled, and therefore will starve. If one doesn't believe, one won't be baptized, and therefore will be damned. Why did Jesus need to say any more than what he did. It is self explanatory.

Jesus was also baptized (this is recounted in several places, but I will give Matthew 3:13-17). Why? To fulfill all righteousness. He is our example to follow. Have you noticed that God didn't refer to him as His son until after His baptism? That was pointed out to me in a sermon once. I find that interesting.

Now, you are correct in saying that baptism simply means an immersion. The baptizing with the Holy Spirit and fire that John was saying Jesus would do certainly came to be. He DID baptize the Apostles with the Holy Ghost in Acts 2 when they received that miraculous ability to speak in other languages they had never studied, heal the sick, raise the dead. He did so in Acts 10, as discussed above, to prove the Gentiles were worthy of salvation. The Apostles needed this power to prove they were men sent from God himself. John was foretelling of this. The "fire" literally means Hell fire. Anyone not obeying the Lord WILL be immersed in the eternal flames of Hell, thus being baptized with fire. Look at verse 12. You must take the whole before coming to a conclusion.

I thank you so much for your concern for the Lord's precious Word. My advice to all is 1. Read ALL the Bible has to say on any one subject before coming to a conclusion. 2. If the Bible seems to contradict itself in one passage, you are the one that is wrong. Study more on the subject because the Bible doesn't contradict itself. 3. Get a "Stong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible" so you may learn what the original Hebrew and Greek words mean. It will also be a great tool when you think of a verse but can't remember where it is found. 4. Pray that God will guide you in your study and that you will be open-minded. 5. Study with a member of the church of Christ (not to take their word, but to help you know where to look for certain things).

God bless you

Old 07-26-2009, 02:24 PM

Default Baptism

God bless you

Old 07-26-2009, 02:30 PM

I don't know what happened!?!?! My last post is on here THREE times. Sorry.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,384 times
Default Anti-the word then you are anti-the christ BRO ROY OF THE CHURCH OF CHRIST

MATTTHEW 28 19 AND MARK 16 15-16 ALSO ACTS 22-16 /ACTS 10 42-48 WATER BAPTISM CAN ANY MAN FORBID IT IF NOT WHYNOT? BECAUSE IT WAS COMMANDED BY GOD HIMSELF,WHY?
COLOSSIANS 2-8-15/ Beware lest any man spoil * you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.
10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:
11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein * * also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly *, triumphing over them in it.
16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.
18 Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,
19 And not holding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God.
20 Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,
21 (Touch not; taste not; handle not;
22 Which all are to perish with the using after the commandments and doctrines of men?
23 Which things have indeed a shew * of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.

Last edited by JUDAHSLION; 08-05-2009 at 04:44 AM.. Reason: NAME :BRO ROY

Old 08-05-2009, 11:05 AM

5 posts, read 7,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allwayz_smilin View Post
I was recently invited to a Church of Christ, but really know nothing about the religion. Can someone fill me in? Thanks!
Hello, I will try to help you if I can, the Church of Christ studying only the bible no doctrine, if it doesn't say it in the bible it is no so. the Church of Christ teaches love, faith , hope , and we are saved by grace not by works. if any one is putting rules on you at church that are not in the bible they are not teaching the right way. the church of Christ is non denominational.if I can help in any other way please let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity