Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2009, 01:39 PM

309 posts, read 512,265 times

Advertisements

Oh im pretty sure im not the one who is weak I am strong in the Lord and in understanding.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:45 PM

241 posts, read 379,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdog View Post
Oh im pretty sure im not the one who is weak I am strong in the Lord and in understanding.
I was really referring to people in general.

Old 06-28-2009, 09:46 PM

341 posts, read 689,291 times
This post is for deerdog. I wanted to let you know that I am traveling and have attended 3 different churches of Christ in the last 3 weeks. Each one was different yet not unscriptural. One was conservative and had no kitchen. One they lifted their hands up while they were singing and clapped, had a praise group. Most of these things are someones opinion about how things should be. In my short visit I could not find anything unscriptual. My point is that since you had a bad experience at the cofc that you attended you should not hold that against all of them and maybe you could find one that worked for you and was true to the scriptures.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:30 AM

Thanks for the post. I guess I have come to realize that Church of Christ isn't for me. I was trying to make it me since my great grandparents were half of the founders of the church and my grandfather was an elder in the church. The more I allow God to lead and guide me and show me where I belong is I am much more Pentecostal than church of Christ. I think it is awesome that some in church of Christ raise holy hands and submit to the Lord and clap and have a good time praising the King. Others in the church of Christ I was at wanted to raise hands and clap and talked about how much they loved it but was afraid to due to offending others. I raised my hands in the church as I wasn't afraid of offending others. As a youth leader in that church I had members of the youth tell me they wanted to raise their hands but didn't cause others didn't. I told them to do it that if God puts it on your heart you should do it. I know of one Church of Christ around my area that claps, has a piano (which the church I was attending bought one recently), raise hands and really praise and worship. I miss the youth but really feel that God wants me to experience more and be filled more. Plus if I start speaking in tongues in a Church of Christ I don't want people to make a new exit door in the church by running out LOL.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:24 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,551,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4beanie View Post
This post is for deerdog. I wanted to let you know that I am traveling and have attended 3 different churches of Christ in the last 3 weeks. Each one was different yet not unscriptural. One was conservative and had no kitchen. One they lifted their hands up while they were singing and clapped, had a praise group. Most of these things are someones opinion about how things should be. In my short visit I could not find anything unscriptual. My point is that since you had a bad experience at the cofc that you attended you should not hold that against all of them and maybe you could find one that worked for you and was true to the scriptures.
Thank you 4beanie. I doubt if any congregation is the exact pattern as another. It is sort of like individual people...we are all differant, but are still agreed on the important things.
Of course, there are many that have "gone off the deep end" and are no longer scriptural. A very sad thing, espacially when it is a large, well-known, group.
Our congregation is working on bringing all of the 'local' congregations together spiritually, as long as there are no false doctrines being taught from the pulpit. We have started having a yearly Lectureship that has preachers from neighboring congregations as speakers. It's purpose is to bring us all into fellowship with one another.
It is a wonderful concept. I hope it works. As it is written, " Blessed is the peacemaker".

Old 06-29-2009, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the post. I guess I have come to realize that Church of Christ isn't for me. I was trying to make it me since my great grandparents were half of the founders of the church and my grandfather was an elder in the church. The more I allow God to lead and guide me and show me where I belong is I am much more Pentecostal than church of Christ. I think it is awesome that some in church of Christ raise holy hands and submit to the Lord and clap and have a good time praising the King. Others in the church of Christ I was at wanted to raise hands and clap and talked about how much they loved it but was afraid to due to offending others. I raised my hands in the church as I wasn't afraid of offending others. As a youth leader in that church I had members of the youth tell me they wanted to raise their hands but didn't cause others didn't. I told them to do it that if God puts it on your heart you should do it. I know of one Church of Christ around my area that claps, has a piano (which the church I was attending bought one recently), raise hands and really praise and worship. I miss the youth but really feel that God wants me to experience more and be filled more. Plus if I start speaking in tongues in a Church of Christ I don't want people to make a new exit door in the church by running out LOL.

I would question if it is really God who is leading and guiding you. How do you determine that is the case? If you are following the word of God...i.e., the doctrine as given by the Holy Spirit in the scriptures, I am wondering.....
If you really need to raise your hands in praise to God, why cannot you do it in the privacy of your own home...sort of like the scripture about going into a closet to pray????
Or is your need to do so a need to be seen by others? Is it a need to show others how religious you are?
I believe a correct translation for 'worship' is differant than your interpretation. The main word translated "worship" in the NT is proskum, to kiss (the hand) toward.
I cannot find any instance of the early chuch clapping? I am thinking that many have their own idea of what "worshipping" is.
God is not the author of confusion.

Are the audiences outside of the major TV studios praising God when they are screaming and waving their arms around? What is the diffearnce? I find them offensive, and shut them off!

Old 06-29-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
I would question if it is really God who is leading and guiding you. How do you determine that is the case? If you are following the word of God...i.e., the doctrine as given by the Holy Spirit in the scriptures, I am wondering.....
If you really need to raise your hands in praise to God, why cannot you do it in the privacy of your own home...sort of like the scripture about going into a closet to pray????
Or is your need to do so a need to be seen by others? Is it a need to show others how religious you are?
I believe a correct translation for 'worship' is differant than your interpretation. The main word translated "worship" in the NT is proskum, to kiss (the hand) toward.
I cannot find any instance of the early chuch clapping? I am thinking that many have their own idea of what "worshipping" is.
God is not the author of confusion.

Are the audiences outside of the major TV studios praising God when they are screaming and waving their arms around? What is the diffearnce? I find them offensive, and shut them off!
When people raise holy hands like it says in the bible it is an outward showing of submitting to God. I am positive that the Lord leads me and guides me. You see I dont want to only go so far in the Lord I want to go all the way. In other words I dont want to just go to church and only get filled by the way I am taught and that be all there is too it. I dont just want to be filled of the word and but I want to be overflowing in the word. As far a prayer closets I take it you never went to the altar kneeled down and since your church of Christ and that just never happens in there. Any thing can be a prayer closet its just giving an example of using your home. It is showing you that as an example. I am sorry if my raising hands, shouting, speaking in tongues, kneeling to pray steps on your toes but that is a proper way to worship as it is all very scriptual. When the spirit leads you to do something you can tell there is a difference than when your doing it cause of others. Your right God is not about confusion but about knowledge. He wants us to be more knowledgable. You see I thrist to be more knowledgable everyday. You can't just take what you learn and let that be it. Let your cup runneth over with knowlegge. That is one of the reasons I left CofC also as I wasn't growing in the Lord.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
When people raise holy hands like it says in the bible it is an outward showing of submitting to God. I am positive that the Lord leads me and guides me. You see I dont want to only go so far in the Lord I want to go all the way. In other words I dont want to just go to church and only get filled by the way I am taught and that be all there is too it. I dont just want to be filled of the word and but I want to be overflowing in the word. As far a prayer closets I take it you never went to the altar kneeled down and since your church of Christ and that just never happens in there. Any thing can be a prayer closet its just giving an example of using your home. It is showing you that as an example. I am sorry if my raising hands, shouting, speaking in tongues, kneeling to pray steps on your toes but that is a proper way to worship as it is all very scriptual. When the spirit leads you to do something you can tell there is a difference than when your doing it cause of others. Your right God is not about confusion but about knowledge. He wants us to be more knowledgable. You see I thrist to be more knowledgable everyday. You can't just take what you learn and let that be it. Let your cup runneth over with knowlegge. That is one of the reasons I left CofC also as I wasn't growing in the Lord.

The fact that you talk about "going to church" is proof that you do not understand what the church is. Those who are of the church, the body of Christ, live it every hour of the day! We do not have to be in an assembly to worship God. It is our life. When you understand that, you may have an entire differant outlook on the Christian life.

We love to assemble with other Christians. They are our spiritual family. The assembling of the saints together goes all the way back to the early church. It was their practice. There are instructions given as to how we are to behave ourselves in the assembly.

You speak of "understanding", but whatever spirit is leading you has apparently not given you an understanding of the scriptures!

Old 06-29-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
The fact that you talk about "going to church" is proof that you do not understand what the church is. Those who are of the church, the body of Christ, live it every hour of the day! We do not have to be in an assembly to worship God. It is our life. When you understand that, you may have an entire differant outlook on the Christian life.

We love to assemble with other Christians. They are our spiritual family. The assembling of the saints together goes all the way back to the early church. It was their practice. There are instructions given as to how we are to behave ourselves in the assembly.

You speak of "understanding", but whatever spirit is leading you has apparently not given you an understanding of the scriptures!
I don't understand what the church is?? You say you live a more christian life than me cause your a CofC. I say your full of nonsense. I agree we dont have to be in an assembly to worship as if you would see my out of church you would prolly think I was crazy as I am lifting my hands, praying, and singing praises to the Lord. You say I don't have an understanding due to the fact I don't believe the same way as you I say your Judging me and that is a sin. People like you give good members of the church of Christ a bad name.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I don't understand what the church is?? You say you live a more christian life than me cause your a CofC. I say your full of nonsense. I agree we dont have to be in an assembly to worship as if you would see my out of church you would prolly think I was crazy as I am lifting my hands, praying, and singing praises to the Lord. You say I don't have an understanding due to the fact I don't believe the same way as you I say your Judging me and that is a sin. People like you give good members of the church of Christ a bad name.

Where did I say that???? It would be pretty ignorant of me to say "I am a CofC!!!! I DO say I am a member of the church of Christ. If you cannot see the differance... you need to do some more studying.

May I ask how old you are? You sound very immature.....Your last statements are an indication of your maturity...." people like me" indeed!

This is my last response to you....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity