Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2009, 09:39 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,552,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
Really? You're going to start that again?

That's the most idiotic reason I have ever heard. I seriously think you went to one of the wackiest churches of Christ. Never have I heard an elder claim to want someone to be baptized to please other people.

LOL! Right on!
Either a 'wacky' congregation, or a 'wacky' 'elder' .

Old 06-26-2009, 09:52 AM

309 posts, read 512,356 times
Well that church does things to please others in the church. The main reason they never had a piano in the church was because they were afraid it would offend others as I know that for a fact. There are not many things that take place in that church such as hand raising to worship as they are afraid of offending others. Myself personally I am more afraid of offending God.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdog View Post
Well that church does things to please others in the church. The main reason they never had a piano in the church was because they were afraid it would offend others as I know that for a fact. There are not many things that take place in that church such as hand raising to worship as they are afraid of offending others. Myself personally I am more afraid of offending God.

The reason most congregations do not have "a piano in the church" is because there is no authorization for it in the NT for when the church is assembled together. Many members have musical instruments in their homes, and play them, but not at an assembly of the church. That is because we do not want to offend God by adding something that He did not authorize. If anyone is offended because we do not have instruments, that is their problem...not the church's.

BTW, It is a very good practice to avoid offending your brethren.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:12 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,105,229 times
although I was a bit offended by the lack of music at my COC, that alone was not a big deal to me.
I have went to other churches that were small and had no music because no one knew how to play.
So I felt it was silly/weird, but not enough to keep me up nights over.

The name thing is where I felt the COC went nuts about.
The way the pride they seemed to take in their name turned them in a way I didnt want to go was what turned me off of going there anymore.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:41 AM

309 posts, read 512,356 times
Quote:
BTW, It is a very good practice to avoid offending your brethren
I agree you shouldn't try to offend others but God is more important than the people in the church.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:51 AM

I hope I will always take pride in the name of Christ!!!!

Old 06-26-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
I hope I will always take pride in the name of Christ!!!!
Oh I know that,
It Cometh Before the Fall remember...

Old 06-26-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
Oh I know that,
It Cometh Before the Fall remember...

Pride in the name of Christ cometh before the fall (small 'f') ?????
Now that certainly is twisting the scripture!!!
I am sorry to inform you, but that is referring to self pride! Something that you appear to be full of.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:52 PM

as I have talked about before,,,
I did not have many issues with the COC I went to, but what started to get to me after a while with the way the "Name" teaching had twisted the people I knew there into a weird/sad form of prideful arrogance.
This type of thing I could not sit still for.
I do understand that there are some Christians who like to play the snob and look down at others Christian churches, I just didn't want to turn out that way.

I tend to my teachings and watch my own actions.
I also do not pat myself on that back just because of my name or any name of a church I go to...
Such things are moot.
Only the teachings and the effect such teachings have on people are important.
What I saw in COC was I did not like the effect the "name" teachings was doing to them people.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:31 PM

241 posts, read 379,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdog View Post
I agree you shouldn't try to offend others but God is more important than the people in the church.
We don't want to offend anyone and yes we are to please God and not man but Paul said in Rom. 14:23 that "it is good neither to eat flesh, not to drink wine nor anything whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak." And the reason being is because it could cause them to leave the faith and God would hold that person responsible. Even if there is no scripture to condemn what might be going on, that person may not understand just yet or just plain weak at the time. If you continue to do it, then you might be the one who is weak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity