Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2009, 09:17 PM

309 posts, read 512,191 times

Advertisements

You know I had swore off posting on this topic anymore as I don't agree with Towhee and some of the others on this topic about baptism and they act like im wrong but anyways after Bible study class tonight I just felt the need to post. We discussed Paul in the book of Acts and he says through Grace we are saved but the word AND is always tried to be put in there. Grace and circumcision, Grace and Baptism. That was one of his arguments in Acts 15 was when it was talking about grace and circumcision. He became angry as they always wanted to apply a Law or work. We sometimes take for granted how simple salvation is. Through the Grace we are saved. The churches even today always try to add Grace AND something. That is what Peter was teaching against its Grace.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:31 PM

241 posts, read 379,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonedoggle View Post
So, do you suppose Paul was talking about the same baptism as described in Matthew 3:11, Mark 1:8, Luke 3:16, John 1:33, and Acts 11:16?
At least FIVE times, by different writers, this particular topic is specifically addressed, which in itself, reinforces the meaning of things revealed in the Bible. How can this possibly be ignored? To me it seems simple, and not because it just appeals to any one person, or taken out of context as you suggest.

There is no mention of baptism of WATER in Eph. 4:5. We can't assume that every time baptism is mentioned that it is referencing baptism with water unless expressly written.
I believe these writers are saying the same thing even though there might have been alot of people that heard it. This first mention of the Holy Ghost was a future prediction. This was the promise of the Holy Ghost that the apostles were to receive. In Acts 11:16, Peter remembered what John had said. Eph. 4:5 can be mindboggling, but I believe Paul was referring to water baptism since the Holy Ghost baptism was to the apostles (a promise) with the exception of Paul who was called out of due season and the household of Cornelius to show that the Gentiles were to come into the fold with the Jews. But either way when someone is baptized in water, they also receive the gift of the Holy Ghost which I believe is the Holy Ghost himself. This shows that they, the Holy Ghost and water, go together in unity (Acts 2:38 Titus 3:5).

Old 07-16-2009, 04:19 AM

3,067 posts, read 4,104,406 times
We are saved by Grace via Faith, and not works...

case closed.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanMolstad View Post
We are saved by Grace via Faith, and not works...

case closed.
You can't separate faith from works. They go together. Your faith causes you to react. Just like the woman with the issue of blood. Jesus told her that her faith saved her but only when she made the attempt to get to Jesus. (Matt. 9:20-22).

Old 07-16-2009, 01:09 PM

309 posts, read 512,191 times
They dont go to together the AND needs to be left out. I agree there are works that need to be done but it has nothing to do with your salvation. Faith is what a person needs and when he is talking to the lady he tells her to make an attempt by accepting him as her Lord and Savior by having faith not works.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:51 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,352,080 times
I love when people say we are saved by grace ONLY, NO AND should be added, but then they ADD we have to have faith and accept Him as our Savior. Big contradiction.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:20 PM

9 posts, read 14,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher c. sr. View Post
I believe these writers are saying the same thing even though there might have been alot of people that heard it. This first mention of the Holy Ghost was a future prediction. This was the promise of the Holy Ghost that the apostles were to receive. In Acts 11:16, Peter remembered what John had said. Eph. 4:5 can be mindboggling, but I believe Paul was referring to water baptism since the Holy Ghost baptism was to the apostles (a promise) with the exception of Paul who was called out of due season and the household of Cornelius to show that the Gentiles were to come into the fold with the Jews. But either way when someone is baptized in water, they also receive the gift of the Holy Ghost which I believe is the Holy Ghost himself. This shows that they, the Holy Ghost and water, go together in unity (Acts 2:38 Titus 3:5).
This mostly seems like opinion to me. Future prediction? Where is that from? And if Peter remembered to mention what John said, then wouldn't one think that this is EXTREMEMLY important? Also, why would he not mention anything about Act 2:38 at that point? Questions, questions...

Old 07-16-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdog View Post
They dont go to together the AND needs to be left out. I agree there are works that need to be done but it has nothing to do with your salvation. Faith is what a person needs and when he is talking to the lady he tells her to make an attempt by accepting him as her Lord and Savior by having faith not works.
They do go together. AND doesn't need to be left out when two things go together. I agree that a person needs faith because you have to have it in order to please God (Heb. 11:6). Where did Jesus tell her to accept Him as her Lord and Savior? He told her to go in peace. Of course we don't know what happened after that because the bible doesn't say. I hear that alot about accepting Him as your Lord and Savior but that is when you obey Him (Jn. 14:15).

Old 07-16-2009, 07:24 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,104,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher c. sr. View Post
You can't separate faith from works. ).
As long you always remember that works don't save you at all,
nor do that add to the fact that you are saved.

If you were to ask God "What is the work you want me to do?" the answer is to Believe in His son...

That's it..

No other works are part of the story of your salvation.

Anyone who attempts to teach that we are saved by Faith "plus" works, is a liar.
Anyone who attempts to teach that we are saved by faith but "kept" by works, is also a liar.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonedoggle View Post
This mostly seems like opinion to me. Future prediction? Where is that from? And if Peter remembered to mention what John said, then wouldn't one think that this is EXTREMEMLY important? Also, why would he not mention anything about Act 2:38 at that point? Questions, questions...
No. Yes. Happened on the day of Pentecost. Peter only said that he remembered within himself, the bible never said that he mentioned it. We can see that Peter was talking about his conversion. As for Acts 2:38, who said he didn't just because the bible didn't say. But whatever he said, he didn't contradict himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity