Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2012, 04:09 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
You're right about that! They are known as the Boston movement led by Kip McKean and are considered a cult. Their discipleship practices are very questionable.

Katie
Katie, I think a lot of people confuse the two, which is very disheartening. I would not want to have anything to do with the ICOC, and have heard serious horror stories about them.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:33 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Julian,

No church of.Christ I know of does gregorian chants. Where r u getting this info from? We sing christian hymns without MI's. We sing accappella (music of the chapel).

You're right. The coC does believe both faith and works are necessary for salvation.

The steps to salvation are written in the New Testament. They are: hear the word, believe, repent, confess Jesus is Lord before men, and be baptized (immersed) for remission of sins. Then be faithful unto death.

Most ministers or preachers I know attend Bible colleges. Most work under a plurality of elders who make sure the word is being preached in the truth of the scriptures.

Blessings,

Katie
Katie

Does the COC do communion each Sunday? The early church always did communion.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Katie

Does the COC do communion each Sunday? The early church always did communion.
I'm not Katie, , but... yes, they do. The bible says for it to be done on the first day of the week, so the COC takes that as every first day of the week. One thing I was greatly appreciative of.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
I'm not Katie, , but... yes, they do. The bible says for it to be done on the first day of the week, so the COC takes that as every first day of the week. One thing I was greatly appreciative of.
They seem closer to the RCC than other churcues. A lot of churches hardly ever do communion. Do they say the Lord's prayer as commanded by Jesus?

Old 03-02-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
They seem closer to the RCC than other churcues. A lot of churches hardly ever do communion. Do they say the Lord's prayer as commanded by Jesus?
Not verbatim, no. Each prayer is said from the heart. Although they do use the Lord's prayer as an example, and will, in other words, basically ask/praise the same things/way. No prayer is said repeatedly, although, sometimes I'd get tickled, because you could think in your head what the person praying was going to say right before he said it. Sometimes prayers did seem repetitious.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Not verbatim, no. Each prayer is said from the heart. Although they do use the Lord's prayer as an example, and will, in other words, basically ask/praise the same things/way. No prayer is said repeatedly, although, sometimes I'd get tickled, because you could think in your head what the person praying was going to say right before he said it. Sometimes prayers did seem repetitious.
Interestingly this COC appears to be the Protestant church that is closest to the RCC. They do baptism at the end of the journey which is similar to the Confirmation process Catholics have as teenagers at the end of the journey.

Obviously, they don't care about Virgin Mary, but Mariology was not fully developed 33 AD.

What is the format or order of the religious service?

Old 03-02-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Interestingly this COC appears to be the Protestant church that is closest to the RCC. They do baptism at the end of the journey which is similar to the Confirmation process Catholics have as teenagers at the end of the journey.
Yes, except their journey is shorter, I believe. Let's say someone is studying the bible and decides she wants to be saved. (She has heard the word and believes and has repented of her sins). She will call someone, usually an elder, and meet them at the church (or any other place where one can be immersed in water). The elder may ask them a few questions, as to why they want to be saved, etc. Then the elder will ask them, "Do you believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God?" They'll answer yes (confession). Then they will be baptized, full immersion (baptism). They are to live the rest of their life as a Christian (remain faithful).

Quote:
Obviously, they don't care about Virgin Mary, but Mariology was not fully developed 33 AD.
We care to the extent that she was the mother of Jesus.

Quote:
What is the format or order of the religious service?
Keeping in mind that each COC is autonomous, but I have been to MANY different congregations over my years as a member.

Typical service goes something like this. Everyone stands, and sings a song. Everyone sits. Announcements are made followed by first prayer, sing more songs, then another prayer, couple more songs. Then a prayer for communion, and the bread is passed around. Another prayer, then the fruit of the vine is passed around. Another song. Then a prayer before offering, and the collection plate is passed around. Another song or two, then the preacher preaches for about 30 minutes. He offers an invitation at the end, always. Anyone need prayers? To be saved? To be restored? Whatever your need, come...as another song is sung while congregants stand.

If anyone goes forward to the first pew, then everyone will sit down to see what his need is. If it's a prayer, then a prayer is said on his behalf. If it's to be saved, then they are asked for their confession, followed by what I said above. If it's to be restored to the church, then a prayer is made.

At that time, or if no one goes forward, another prayer is said. After this prayer, everyone is dismissed.

The whole thing takes about an hour. Usually services are preceeded by about a 45 minute bible class. Each to his proper aged class.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:12 PM

And how about a typical RCC service?

Old 03-02-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
And how about a typical RCC service?
The religious ceremony is called the mass or missa.

I am glad you ask so I can review this ancient subject. I have found another similarity. The term mass was first used in the year 604. Before that it was first known as "breaking of the bread". However, many other names were used:

Quote:
  • "The Lord's Supper" (coena dominica),
  • the "Sacrifice" (prosphora, oblatio),
  • "the gathering together" (synaxis, congregatio),
  • "the Mysteries", and
  • (since Augustine), "the Sacrament of the Altar".
The mass is the same in all Catholic Churches in the world and the Bible readings are also the same.

Entrance Procession: Greeting:
Priest: In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.
All: Amen.

Priest: The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ and the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all. (there are other options here).

Penitential Rite:

Kyrie:
[The following acclamations are sung or recited, either in English or Greek, unless they have already been used, as in option C above.]

Gloria:
Opening Prayer:

First Reading:
Lector: The Word of the Lord.
All
: Thanks be to God!
Responsorial Psalm: Musical
Second Reading: Alleluia or Gospel Acclamation:
Gospel:
A reading from the Holy Gospel according to... [Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John]
All: Glory to you, Lord!

After the Gospel Proclamation:
Deacon (or Priest): The Gospel of the Lord.
All
: Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ!
Homily

Profession of Faith: Creed

General Intercessions / Prayer of the Faithful:

LITURGY OF THE EUCHARIST

COMMUNION RITE

Communion Song

Period of Silence or Song of Praise:

Prayer after Communion:[Announcements, etc.]:

CONCLUDING RITE
Dismissal:
Deacon or Priest: Go in the peace of Christ.
or The Mass is ended, go in peace.
or Go in peace to love and serve the Lord.
All
:
Thanks be to God!
[Recessional and Closing Song]:

Last edited by Julian658; 03-02-2012 at 10:00 PM..

Old 03-03-2012, 04:31 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,272,579 times
Quote:
Yes, except their journey is shorter, I believe. Let's say someone is studying the bible and decides she wants to be saved. (She has heard the word and believes and has repented of her sins). She will call someone, usually an elder, and meet them at the church (or any other place where one can be immersed in water). The elder may ask them a few questions, as to why they want to be saved, etc. Then the elder will ask them, "Do you believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God?" They'll answer yes (confession). Then they will be baptized, full immersion (baptism). They are to live the rest of their life as a Christian (remain faithful).

We care to the extent that she was the mother of Jesus.

Keeping in mind that each COC is autonomous, but I have been to MANY different congregations over my years as a member.

Typical service goes something like this. Everyone stands, and sings a song. Everyone sits. Announcements are made followed by first prayer, sing more songs, then another prayer, couple more songs. Then a prayer for communion, and the bread is passed around. Another prayer, then the fruit of the vine is passed around. Another song. Then a prayer before offering, and the collection plate is passed around. Another song or two, then the preacher preaches for about 30 minutes. He offers an invitation at the end, always. Anyone need prayers? To be saved? To be restored? Whatever your need, come...as another song is sung while congregants stand.

If anyone goes forward to the first pew, then everyone will sit down to see what his need is. If it's a prayer, then a prayer is said on his behalf. If it's to be saved, then they are asked for their confession, followed by what I said above. If it's to be restored to the church, then a prayer is made.

At that time, or if no one goes forward, another prayer is said. After this prayer, everyone is dismissed.

The whole thing takes about an hour. Usually services are preceeded by about a 45 minute bible class. Each to his proper aged class.
Thanks for explaining everything to Julian. You did a good job.

I know you mentioned that each congregation is autonomous or independent of other congregations. I just wanted to say that each one I have been to is a bit different. For instance, no collection is taken during the worship service. A basket is left in the entry way and whosoever will can give. Money is never talked about unless it happens to be the topic of the preacher's sermon. Also, before services even begin, which ever man does the announcements asks if anyone knows of someone needing prayers. This is an opportunity for everyone to make prayer requests for anyone in need. After announcements are finished, then the service begins. One of the men will offer up a prayer to God and name all of those people who need prayers.

The order of worship changes from week to week, but the Lord's Supper is always central. Some of the men have become so eloquent when praying that it brings tears to the eyes. A lot of time is spent preparing to take communion by singing, praying, and scripture readings.

All in all, it is a beautiful worship service, one I'm sure is pleasing to God.

God Bless,

Katie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity