Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2012, 12:39 PM

63 posts, read 82,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
There is love in COC's, just as there is all the other things you mentioned. This goes for every single church on this earth, no matter the denomination.
I did not fine that true with the Jonestown people. However,

It seems like CoC attitude/behaviour was shared with Plymouth Brethren. The strict seem to take the founders (Darby or the Campbells) as Popes and it radiates out to liberal from their core. Core Cultish and circumference mild and easy going.

The reason I mentioned Jonestown is because Jim Jones had a connection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christi...ples_of_Christ)

Shalom,
Tom

Old 08-25-2012, 01:04 PM

173 posts, read 135,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
I used to be a member of the church of Christ, for about ten years.

Each church is autonomous, so some COC's do use instrumental music. The ones who do not, do not do so because the NT never tells us to do so. While it is not condemned, they believe it shouldn't be done since we weren't told to use them.
One of the things I disagreed with them on, although, I still prefer a Capella music over instrumental.

There is love in COC's, just as there is all the other things you mentioned. This goes for every single church on this earth, no matter the denomination.
The COC preachers in the south on TV and radio every Sunday sure do condemn the use of instruments in worship. I used to listen to them a lot and having worked in radio for over 20 years I have heard it thousands of times. Almost any Sunday you can find one talking about it. I always thought this was a main doctrine of the COC's as much as they talk about it around here.

And the COC's will attack each other too. I have seen them condemn another COC because they have Sunday School and other things that are not specifically commanded in the NT.

But this is only based on my life in Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi and Arkansas. It may be different in other areas of the country.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:06 PM

289 posts, read 289,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK4J View Post
The COC preachers in the south on TV and radio every Sunday sure do condemn the use of instruments in worship. I used to listen to them a lot and having worked in radio for over 20 years I have heard it thousands of times. Almost any Sunday you can find one talking about it. I always thought this was a main doctrine of the COC's as much as they talk about it around here.

And the COC's will attack each other too. I have seen them condemn another COC because they have Sunday School and other things that are not specifically commanded in the NT.

But this is only based on my life in Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi and Arkansas. It may be different in other areas of the country.
I must lead a sheltered life or something. I've been living in the south for the last 26 years (South Carolina for 10 years, Arkansas for 10 years and now Alabama for the last 6 years) and I don't believe I've ever heard a Church of Christ radio broadcast condemn the use of intruments in worship or condemn other churches of Christ for anything. I must be listening to the wrong stations. We have a devotional broadcast several times a day on several radio stations around here and if you didn't know the guy was Church of Christ up front, you'd never get it from what he says on the radio.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:

Batsell Barrett Baxter

http://www.stillvoices.org/sermons/baxter/021763.pdf

The CoC certainly had their hierarchy and feuds. Look for Ketcherside and Mission Messenger. He bashed as many of their positions as a Bapist would - and yet he was a CoC preacher.

Shalom,
Thomas

Old 08-25-2012, 07:33 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,636 times
Ketcherside didn't believe Jesus preformed miracles. But if that is who you want to promote that is between you and God.

Personally, I've lost all respect I had for you now Tom. You might as well be promoting that Matthew didn't write Matthew and whoever did had a source.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
Ketcherside didn't believe Jesus preformed miracles. But if that is who you want to promote that is between you and God.

Personally, I've lost all respect I had for you now Tom. You might as well be promoting that Matthew didn't write Matthew and whoever did had a source.
Hi Cowdog,

You took it the opposite way.

Ketcherside was used as an example of the absolute mess that existed. They loved to bash. It was in their arrogant nature.

I do not promote Carl or Batsell or any of that stuff. They never spoke where the Bible speaks and were silent where the Bible was silent. The would pick and choose.

Sorry you misunderstood. Must be my fault with emails. And if it was, I'm glad that you gave me the opportunity to clarify.

Shalom,
Tom

Old 08-25-2012, 08:33 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,636 times
I apologize to you then for misunderstanding you.

Edited: I just looked up Carl and see he was in one of the more conservative groups. Maybe I need to find the book I read that he wrote and reread some parts. My memory isn't what it use to be.

Last edited by cowdog; 08-25-2012 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: To add more

Old 08-25-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
I apologize to you then for misunderstanding you.
Hi Cowdog,

No problem.

In previous posts in this thread I brought out things like Jim Jones connection. Check them out and you might get a better picture of where I stand.

Carl K and I used to correspond. I asked him if he was so against many, many coc preachers why did he stay. I told him that he bashed his ilk more than a Baptist preacher. I don't remember his answer.

They would devour one another. Amazing.

Shalom,
Tom

Old 08-25-2012, 09:09 PM

173 posts, read 135,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREATDIVIDE46 View Post
I must lead a sheltered life or something. I've been living in the south for the last 26 years (South Carolina for 10 years, Arkansas for 10 years and now Alabama for the last 6 years) and I don't believe I've ever heard a Church of Christ radio broadcast condemn the use of intruments in worship or condemn other churches of Christ for anything. I must be listening to the wrong stations. We have a devotional broadcast several times a day on several radio stations around here and if you didn't know the guy was Church of Christ up front, you'd never get it from what he says on the radio.
There is some guy on Sunday's from Birmingham who brings up the instruments on a regular basis. As for attacking other COC's I heard that first hand from a COC preacher and not on his radio program. I started working in a small radio station in Alabama back in 1977 and remember the local COC had a program and it was almost always about being baptized right, using musical instruments in church, what you name your church or the use of titles by preachers.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:20 AM

289 posts, read 289,820 times
Quote:
There is some guy on Sunday's from Birmingham who brings up the instruments on a regular basis. As for attacking other COC's I heard that first hand from a COC preacher and not on his radio program. I started working in a small radio station in Alabama back in 1977 and remember the local COC had a program and it was almost always about being baptized right, using musical instruments in church, what you name your church or the use of titles by preachers.
I believe you. All I was saying was that in 50 years of loose association with the Church of Christ I've never heard any of that stuff myself, except from their detractors. Not that it doesn't happen, because your experience is proof that it does. Just that I've never heard it with my own ears. In fact, when I was in Arkansas I met the worship minister of a Church of Christ in Little Rock that actually used musical instruments in church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.