Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2012, 05:11 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,276,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSandy View Post
Hi Katiemygirl and thank you ....I thought I had read you were one of the 2 coc teachers I saw posting in here about that World Bible Study but I wasn't sure as I jumped all over...I loved the study but was perplexed on the two issues I posted on above. I loved the study but man lol I was taking a 30 some week extensive Discipleship class at the Methodist church taking care of me , hubby ...pets and a new rental home and found they really made me work but thats good I enjoyed it just wasn't able to put as much as I should have into it like looking up all the scriptures ....thank God I took a class in Romans the year before and knew some verses by heart lol......I wrote a quick note to my teacher thanking her for her service to Him and also to say my KJV ON KINDLE used a few odd words like "winked" at them.....and some other odd term when they disobeyed. I also noticed the booklet I get from them lists Saturday as the sabbath and I agree with their verses but the COC by me has service on Sat and Sunday....Sunday nights work for me I sleep late...Its inconsistencies like that that throw me. I want to ask you do you think if I joined would they make me get re-baptised??????? Also skirt or dress right? Thank you I WILL be in touch and bless you for helping others come to the lord you seem to always speak with others here kindly and I appreciate that Christ like quality.....blessings
Hi Sandy,

I'll pm you after, but I wanted to answer a couple of your questions here on the public forum.

I don't know what coC has told you that you have to wear skirts or dresses, but imho, that is going beyond what is written in the word of God.

I believe the Bible teaches woman to dress modestly, but that can mean a pair of slacks, etc.

A long time ago, our little church here in the northeast had some visitors from a church of Christ in the south. They were a Biblically sound group, but I thought they were somewhat legalistic. That turned me off. The ladies came to church dressed to the nines, and their hair and make up were absolutely perfect. I live in the country, and no lady in our little congregation could afford one of the outfits the southern ladies wore. Quite frankly, I believe God loved me just as much as He did them, even though I was wearing a cheap pair of Wal Mart slacks and a sweater.

I'm not saying all southern coC's are like that, but this one sure was. Don't misunderstand me. They were very nice people, and they had a great love for the Lord, but imo, they took the word further than they should have.

They also had other rules such as no male/female mixed swimming, no dances, no card playing. I think our little group of country bumpkins shocked them when we had a picnic at my sister's place, who just happens to have a big in ground swimming pool. We had a great game of water volleyball that day, and some of our southern brethren played. But oh my, the ladies were in the pool with the men.

Sometimes, all it takes in one person to set the standard for everyone else. People just naturally feel they have to keep up with the Jones'. But no one should ever make you feel that you have to wear dresses and skirts to be pleasing to God.

I feel very blessed to be able to worship with a down to earth, very plain and simple group of people where no one judges anyone else for how they dress.

One more thing...
I know of no churches of Christ who have worship services on a Saturday. They worship on Sunday mornings, and some have Sunday evening services. Some have a mid week Bible study, but NONE that I have ever heard of, worship on Saturday.

I'll finish up in a pm. I want to answer you question about the Lord's Supper, baptism, and the Holy Spirit.

God Bless,

Katie

Old 06-10-2012, 06:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,153 times
All I have to add is that it's okay to go and see what's going on, so you can experience first
hand. But I try not to speak negative about too many churches. My daughter went to one and we had to pray her out of there. Too much false doctrine, esp. the one that forbid the playing of instruments; My daughter was gullible at this time and obviously sucked in because of the fiance and his family; but when she finally had the courage to speak with me and get my opinion on this church; I told her I'd go with her one Sunday and then i'd tell her what I thought; I did this but I also noticed the coldness and cultish
atmosphere........(rambling....on my first cup of hot chocolate....) But my point is this; visit one time and see if what they teach line up with scripture.

[mod] deleted [/mod]

The COC does NOT teach false doctrine. You need to read your bible closely.

Last edited by june 7th; 08-06-2012 at 05:24 PM..

Old 07-30-2012, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,082 times
why don't the churches of Christ drum?

Old 08-04-2012, 08:23 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,090,697 times
I never found "love" in any church of christ I ever attended....only bickering, backstabbing, racial prejudice, judgemntalism and hypocrisy......All the things that we would hope Jesus would have opposed, if he were real

Old 08-05-2012, 08:57 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,090,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnbmom View Post
We have no doctrine except the Bible - please read it. When we stand before God we stand alone and what someone else has said or did or did not do does not negate what God has asked us to do. 1 - Love God 2- Love your neighbor as your self Because the congregations you have attended did show you love does not exempt you from loving and obeying. God wants all of his people to be saved but he can only offer salvation we must accept it.
There is a lot of love and a lot of loving people in the world. This exists, though, outside of the church of christ.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:52 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,460,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnbmom View Post
"Doctrine a body or system of teachings relating to a particular subject" - the Bible is considered absolute authority . If you do not feel that is true then I afraid you will need to look elsewhere for your answers.
What makes you think I don't consider it authoritative? I know this is shocking, but I actually believe the Bible, but believe it teaches something different about the relation between baptism and salvation than what Church of Christs teach.

My point is that when you said:

Quote:
We have no doctrine except the Bible - please read it.
you conflated those two things. Revelation is disclosure by God. Theology (and subsequently doctrine) is something man does in response to revelation. The Bible in and of itself is not doctrine, but rather the source.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:11 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,352,589 times
I used to be a member of the church of Christ, for about ten years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minglenart View Post
why don't the churches of Christ drum?
Each church is autonomous, so some COC's do use instrumental music. The ones who do not, do not do so because the NT never tells us to do so. While it is not condemned, they believe it shouldn't be done since we weren't told to use them.
One of the things I disagreed with them on, although, I still prefer a Capella music over instrumental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I never found "love" in any church of christ I ever attended....only bickering, backstabbing, racial prejudice, judgemntalism and hypocrisy......All the things that we would hope Jesus would have opposed, if he were real
There is love in COC's, just as there is all the other things you mentioned. This goes for every single church on this earth, no matter the denomination.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,460 times
Whatsoever things are true what so ever things are just - think on these things.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:41 PM

10 posts, read 19,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathwalker View Post
Funny, isn't it - because I thought the CoC was very liberal, particularly with respect to homosexuality and blessing same-sex couples. Or am I thinking of a different Church of Christ?
THE CHURCH OF CHRIST DOES NOT BELIEVE IN HOMOSEXUALITY.
Below is an example of what they believe.

THE DESTRUCTION OF SODOM
AND GOMORRAH
Moses said, “Now the men of Sodom were wicked exceedingly and sinners against the Lord” (Genesis 13:13). What are we told about them? When two man were spending the night at the home of Lot, before they went to bed of the night, “The men of the city, the men of Sodom, surrounded the house, both young and old, all the people from every quarter; and they called to Lot and said to him, ‘Where are the men who came to your tonight: Bring them out that we may have relations with them” (Genesis 19:1-5 New American Standard Bible).
• ”Bring them out that we may have relations with them” New American Standard Bible
• “Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them” New International Version
• “Bring them out to us so that we may have intercourse with them” revised English Bible
• “Bring them out to us so we can have sexual relations with them” New Century Version
• “Bring them out to us that we may have intimacies with them” The New American Bible
• “Bring them out so we can have sex with them” New Living Translation
• “Send them out, so we can have sex with them” Contemporary English Version
Under the Law God demanded the death penalty for homosexuality. “Is there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; THEY SHALL SURELY BE PUT TO DEATH” (Leviticus 20:13). “You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination” (Leviticus 18:22). “Defile not you yourselves in any of these things: for in all these the nations are defiled which I cast out from before you; and the land is defiled: therefore I do visit the iniquity thereof upon it, and the land vomits out her inhabitants” (Leviticus 18:24-25).
Genesis 19:1- 7: “Now the two angels came to Sodom in the evening as Lot was sitting in the gate of Sodom When Lot saw them, he rose to meet them and bowed down with his face to the ground. And he said, "Now behold, my lords, please turn aside into your servant's house, and spend the night, and wash your feet; then you may rise early and go on your way." They said however, "No, but we shall spend the night in the square." Yet he urged them strongly, so they turned aside to him and entered his house; and he prepared a feast for them, and baked unleavened bread, and they ate. Before they lay down, the men of the city, the men of Sodom, surrounded the house, both young and old, all the people from every quarter; and they called to Lot and said to him, ‘Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us that we may have relations with them.’ But Lot went out to them at the doorway, and shut the door behind him, and said, "Please, my brothers, do not act wickedly.” “Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with then, Lot went outside to meet them and shut the door behind him and said, ‘No, my friends. Don’t do this wicked thing’” [New International Version. There is no doubt that this man having relations (sex) with man is homosexuality and Job called it wicked. In Genesis 19 these cities were literally burnt up (Psalm 11:6; Isaiah 34:9), not still burning with the people walking around in torment. Their end was complete (total destruction) and is an example of the total destruction that is coming to the ungodly at the judgment.
SODOM AND GOMORRAH Jude 7 "Are set forth as an example, suffering the punishment of eternal fire" American Standard Version. God "condemned them to extinction and made them an example of what is coming to the ungodly" 2 Peter 2:6 New Revised Standard Version. These cities were literally burnt up, not still burning with the people walking around in torment. Their end (extinction) was complete (total destruction) and eternal; and is an example of the total destruction that is coming to the ungodly at the judgment. SODOM HAS CEASED TO EXIST. So thoroughly was it's destruction that it's location is not known. Some believe it was under what is now the Dead Sea, some that it was other places. The annihilation (end, destruction, extinction, death) of the ungodly will be total and eternal, just as it was of Sodom and Gomorrah. THEY WILL CEASE TO EXIST. This is the first use of "fire and brimstone" and the only time it was literally rained on anyone. It was the total destruction of the two cities, and is later used as a symbol of total and eternal destruction. (Psalm 11:6; Isaiah 34:9; Revelation 19:20; 20:10; 21:8). "By turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah to ashes he condemned them to extinction and made them an example of what is coming to the ungodly" New Revised Standard Version. That they were reduced to ashes and the fire went out is also a part of the example of what will happen to the ungodly. Where does any one find the revelation that changes this example of total destruction by a fire that went out when the destruction was complete into an example of destruction that will never be complete and the fire will never go out?
• "And if by turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah to ashes he condemned them too extinction and made them an example of what is coming to the ungodly" New Revised Standard Version.
• "And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah into ashes condemned them with a overthrow, having made them an example unto those that should live ungodly" American Standard Version.
• "He condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah to destruction by reducing them to ashes, having made them an example to those who would live ungodly thereafter" New American Standard Version.
• "He condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah by burning them to ashes, and made them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly" New International Version.
• "And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah into ashes, condemned them to destruction, making them an example to those who afterward would live ungodly" New King James Version.
• "And God also destroyed the evil cities of Sodom and Gomorrah by burning them until they were ashes. He made these cities an example of what will happen to those who are against God" New Century Bible.
• "And He condemned to ruin and extinction the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah, reducing them to ashes (and thus) set them forth as an example to those who would be ungodly" The Amplified Bible.
• "God reduced the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah to ashes, condemning them to total ruin as an object lesson for the ungodly in future days" Revised English Bible.
If Sodom and Gomorrah are an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly, how could the ungodly have an eternal life of torment? They were reduced to ashes and when there was nothing more to burn, the fire went out. They are an example of total destruction, not of eternal torment.
What is Sodom an example of?
• "Condemned them too extinction" -- Sodom --- or an eternal life of torment?
• "Condemned them too extinction" -- ungodly -- or an eternal life of torment? Does anyone think Sodom is now being tormented in Hell today? If it is not, then how is it an example of being tormented in Hell?
Next to the flood the destruction of Sodom was the most devastating judgment by God in the Old Testament. Homosexuality is the sin that wrought the wrath of God and a judgment of total destruction (death) on all the inhabitants of these four cities and all the inhabitants around them.
“Probably the most devastating judgment of Jehovah since the universal flood in Noah’s day was the destruction of the cities of the Plan, Sodom, Gomorrah, Admah, and Zeboim, ‘Jehovah overthrew these cities in His anger, and in His wrath’ (Deut. 29:23). It was a judgment of total destruction upon the cities, the inhabitants of the land, and of all that grew upon the land. Although other sins were charged against Sodom: ‘Pride, fullness of bread, and prosperous ease…And they were haughty, and committed abomination before me’ (Ezek. 16:49050). Homosexuality (sodomy) was the abomination and chief sin charged against the city, and the immediate sin for which it was destroyed (Gen. 19:4-5, 12-13). When Lot, his wife, and two daughters left the city, ‘Jehovah rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from Jehovah out of heaven’ (Gen 19:24). Precisely how this was done we are not told; but it was clearly a judgment from Jehovah, an expression of His fierce wrath and hot anger against the cities and the sin of sodomy” Homer Hailey, “God’s Judgments and Punishments,” Page 98.
“As a nation, the United States has enjoyed a favorable position on earth. Located between tow great oceans, with friendly neighbor to the north and fairly friendly nation to the south, it has escaped the ravages of war. Except for the Civil War, it has had no war of any magnitude on its soil since the Revolutionary War with England. Like Moab, it has ‘settled on its lees,’ becoming very wicked in the last half century. It can easily become the target of God’s judgment. Our self-confidence, out attitude toward homosexuality…and our haughty spirit toward the God of heaven could be the prelude to a serious judgment from the Almighty. Nuclear weapons, guided missiles, and terrorist organizations made a destructive war possible.” Homer Hailey, “God’s Judgments and Punishments Of Individuals and Nations,” Page 101. Note: This was written before 9/11.
God did not think homosexuality was “politically correct” but a sin worthy of death. A Christian cannot accept it, cannot approve of it or any that dose take part in it. IT IS UNACCETABLE TO GOD. Is not the US heading in the same path that Sodom took?

Old 08-25-2012, 12:25 PM

63 posts, read 82,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby59 View Post
THE CHURCH OF CHRIST DOES NOT BELIEVE IN HOMOSEXUALITY.
I think what you are saying about the CoC is right. How much influence does Thomas and Alexander have in the various groups? Without a Pope or church manual, how much unity and diversity exists today?

It seems like there were three main categories, with CoC, Disciples being more like a denomination? The other two split on musical instruments? Did they split on buildings and 'ordination/clergy?" I remember a long list of fracture causing items, Sunday Schools, a/pre/postmillennialism, ... Can you give us an idea of the diversity?

Shalom,
Tom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity