Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2013, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathwalker View Post
Funny, isn't it - because I thought the CoC was very liberal, particularly with respect to homosexuality and blessing same-sex couples. Or am I thinking of a different Church of Christ?
You must be thinking of a different Church....However they do think that if you don't belong to The Church Of Christ you won't go to heaven because they think they are the only true church. I say if you are born again you are part of the body of Christ! I hope you have excepted Jesus as your personal saviour!

Old 01-29-2013, 02:19 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
mbatl..I hope you will read this thread there is so much here. I am a former member and my story is all through this thread so will not repeat it here, but just know that once the bonds of rules and rituals and submission were lifted from my shoulders I was able to see God/creator more clearly and have found peace. I am no part of man;s organized religions now and in the rw I only discuss my beliefs with my children and grandchildren when they ask.

I think we all need to seek the source of our belief within us where I truly believe the spirit of God is, and He is there to guide and direct us to the Creator.

Many people never try to find, feel look for His presence outside the walls of a building they call "MY Church" or outside of the book they call "My bible" Both are useful in the beginning of one's faith to introduce us to the teaching of Jesus of a loving God not the on in the OT. The Church of Christ talks and preaches the words of Paul more than they do the words of Christ, maybe it is because of the legalisms he taught the Corinthians and Ephesians and they apply that to todays world in order to place fear and control in the heart and mind of the congregations.
This pretty much sums up the stumbling block the churches have become to understanding and practicing Christ's Gospel through "love of God and each other." Instead of putting the "new wine" (generations) in "new wineskins" (NT corrected beliefs) after Christ revealed the true nature of God through His life, teachings, death and resurrection (rebirth as Spirit) . . . they retained the "old wineskins" (ignorant OT ancient beliefs) that held the "old wine"(our savage ancestors) and they are bursting. The closer to God's love and His Holy Spirit each of us becomes . . . the more the ignorant ancient beliefs about God are revealed as the savage and barbaric superstitions they are.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:19 AM

309 posts, read 512,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgain View Post
You must be thinking of a different Church....However they do think that if you don't belong to The Church Of Christ you won't go to heaven because they think they are the only true church. I say if you are born again you are part of the body of Christ! I hope you have excepted Jesus as your personal saviour!
Totally agree in that they think they are the only ones saved. Was even told I should marry a good christian woman just because my fiance at the time was a baptist. Still married her and she is a truly devout christian. Soon after I left the CoC.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:37 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Who is the church of Christ? You guys are writing in denominational terms not biblical.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:26 PM

307 posts, read 285,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Who is the church of Christ? You guys are writing in denominational terms not biblical.
The question is about the denomination that calls itself the "Church of Christ". So it is the denomination that is being discussed on this thread. Of course they will tell you they are not a denomination but as long as there is a set of beliefs then it is a denomination.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:29 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This pretty much sums up the stumbling block the churches have become to understanding and practicing Christ's Gospel through "love of God and each other." Instead of putting the "new wine" (generations) in "new wineskins" (NT corrected beliefs) after Christ revealed the true nature of God through His life, teachings, death and resurrection (rebirth as Spirit) . . . they retained the "old wineskins" (ignorant OT ancient beliefs) that held the "old wine"(our savage ancestors) and they are bursting. The closer to God's love and His Holy Spirit each of us becomes . . . the more the ignorant ancient beliefs about God are revealed as the savage and barbaric superstitions they are.
Could you please list some of these "ignorant ancient beliefs about God" that are "savage and barbaric superstitions" that the church of Christ believe for us?

Old 02-03-2013, 09:55 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by July 8th View Post
The question is about the denomination that calls itself the "Church of Christ". So it is the denomination that is being discussed on this thread. Of course they will tell you they are not a denomination but as long as there is a set of beliefs then it is a denomination.
Who set the beliefs of the church of Christ? When and where did the denomination begin?

Old 02-03-2013, 10:26 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Here is a link about the Church of Christ being discussed in this thread. This from their web ministry.
Who are the churches of Christ?There are many links to their structure , beliefs and rituals .

I also suggest that on their Home page you scroll down to the bottom where you will see this.
"The purpose of this Web Site is to unite the churches of Christ in one accord". Certainly sounds like a denominational movement to me.

and from..http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/...urch-of-Christ

The early history of this group is identical to that of the Disciples of Christ. They developed from various religious movements in the United States in the early 19th century, especially those led by Barton W. Stone in Kentucky and Thomas Campbell and Alexander Campbell in Pennsylvania and West Virginia. These men had all been Presbyterians. They pleaded for the Bible as the only standard of faith, without additional creeds, and for the unity of the people of God by the restoration of New Testament Christianity. Refusing affiliation with any sect, they called themselves simply Christians.

I am no longer a member of this group, but hope this helps those of you with questions about the beginnings of this particular group.

JMHOfrom about 45 years of "membership"
Yes, Christs Church was established on Pentecost but this particular group is not what Christ died for and sent the Holy Spirit to comfort and teach us further. He put the good news from Christ about our loving father in our hearts. Their slogan is "Where the bible is silent, we are silent."The organization is based on this one verse Acts 2:38. You have to be baptized into the church by immersion before your sins are forgiven. If you begin to miss any of the three services a week then "your baptism didn't take, because you are backsliding when you miss church.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 02-03-2013 at 12:01 PM..

Old 02-03-2013, 11:33 AM

63,815 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
Could you please list some of these "ignorant ancient beliefs about God" that are "savage and barbaric superstitions" that the church of Christ believe for us?
The Bible is seen as infallible so they are primarily Bibleans who revere and idolize the Bible . . . NOT Christ. The entire context of the OT is false . . . wherein God is seen as jealous, angry, vengeful, egotistical (all the negative traits of humanity) God is seen as creating a hell of eternal torment for non-Christians and demanding a horrendous scourging and crucifixion in payment for the purported sins of humanity . . . especially unbelief. These are the beliefs of ignorant savage and barbaric people. No one following the guidance of the Holy Spirit (Comforter) to what God has "written in our hearts" could believe such heinous things about our loving God as revealed by Jesus Christ. It requires the "precepts and doctrines of men" about God's holiness and justice that cannot be tainted or besmirched (egotism) to excuse or rationalize such Evil as Good because it is somehow of God.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:03 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,018,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post

You can start here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/chris...ant-women.html

But that is just the tip of the iceberg. Doesn't the scripture say somewhere that God hates hypocrisy?

So then, is God a hypocrite? Or could it be that not everything written down ABOUT God by sinful men is TRUTH? Who began the teaching that the bible (66 books) is the WORD of God? It had to have been someone who came LONG after JESUS walked the earth since there was no B-I-B-L-E when Jesus was a natural man. And so who is it that demands that we have to believe the B-I-B-L-E is the infallible WORD of God (otherwise we are heretics and counted as enemies)??? These are rhetorical questions. I already know the answer and I know who the enemy is. The enemy is not ignorant men who do not know what spirit they are of. But there is one within (men/people) that IS the enemy of God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.