Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2011, 01:31 PM

3 posts, read 3,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by preacherman7 View Post
judge and you shall be judged, the prayer of jesus was to have all who believed in him, be one, as he was one and is one with the father. CoC is confused in the mist of their pride of religious noctrine. they put what they they think out of their own wit as they confuse the words reading baptisum. the word of god means we should be baptised in christ being cleansed by the washing of the word as water washes the body and cleanses it. 1Pe.3:23 when anybody ask christ to come into their life and recieves him in their hearts by faith we are baptized in christ at this time of conversion. this is a gift from God to be grafted in through his only begotten Son,Jesus christ. this has nothing to do with water baptisium! One will desire to be baptized by water once saved or baptized in Christ, showing that you are born again and becoming in good conscience in public form showing your faith in Jesus is real. now you go on to learn more every day in Christ, in his word, being and becoming what he has ordined you to be. Water can not cleasnse your soul!! We are saved by Grace and in Faith we recieve our day of salvation through a relationship with christ jesus,amen.Rom 3:3 plainly says that this baptism is into Christ and not water. We are baptized in his death and also his ressurection. their is no requirement to be baptized in water! this is an outward desire to do after recieving Jesus as your savior, to publicly show your faith has brought you to this place of wanting to profess your day of salvation in Christ. Baptisum is a time saying you have repented of your sins, now have become a new creature in Christ, declaring in public to others you have recieved jesus as your personal savior. He who kepts his life will lose it, but he who loses his life in Christ will have eturnity with Christ. This is being baptized in Christ. Christ is the water that cleanses us, He is the word which gives us truth and life.Not by any Church Name, but by the Cross Jesus died, and aROSE ON THE THIRD DAY AND WAS WITNESSED BY MANY, AND THEN ASSENTED TO HIS FATHER IN HEAVEN.....NO CHURCH PROVIDED MAN AWAY TO BE SAVED OUT FROM HIS SIN. BUT JESUS DID! Listen, get a jimmy swaggart Expositors Bible...(JSM.org) as you read each line, the word is clearified in red, remember..."My people perish for lack of knowledge" many will twist the word of God and start another religious group...pray the Holy Spirit to always Guide you into righteousness! One called to serving in Ministry by God.
Whosoever shall ask in Jesus name He will save.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:57 PM

3 posts, read 3,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
I have never said the water forgives the sins. Christ's blood does. Baptism is how we come into contact with His blood.

You can say you're not baptized for forgiveness of sins, but the Bible says we are.

Acts 2:37-38...Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
.....hello...from; preacherman7.......
Repent (admit that God is right and we are wrong) and be baptized everyone of you in jesus name.( by authority of that name; there is no baaptismal formula given in the book of acts; the only formual given was given by Christ in Mat. 28:19) for the remissions of sins (should of been translated,"because od remission of sin's",one is baptized in water because one's sin's have already been remitted due to Faith in Christ, and not that sins should be remitted).amen.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:46 AM

289 posts, read 289,934 times
Quote:
.....hello...from; preacherman7.......
Repent (admit that God is right and we are wrong) and be baptized everyone of you in jesus name.( by authority of that name; there is no baaptismal formula given in the book of acts; the only formual given was given by Christ in Mat. 28:19) for the remissions of sins (should of been translated,"because od remission of sin's",one is baptized in water because one's sin's have already been remitted due to Faith in Christ, and not that sins should be remitted).amen.
There is little, if any, basis to translate the verse to say that "for the remission of sins" should be translated "because of the remission of sins." While the "because of" translation may be valid, it is very rare and some Greek scholars even have the temerity to suggest that it should never be used when translating the Greek of the New Testament. So, unless I'm trying to prove an idea I believed before I read the verse I'm going to go with the most common translation which means "with a view to" or "with the goal of." In other words be baptized with the goal of having your sins forgiven.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,017 times
It's not the coc that forbids women from leading worship in the congergation,rather it is Gods will. Search the scriptures your self. Unlike political correctness in our society, Gods will has not and will not change based on what may be a good thing for government and society to adopt. I'm sure some may not agree with what I have said, if not your beef is not with the coc, rather God himself!

Old 08-17-2011, 02:58 PM

241 posts, read 379,453 times
Quote:
Whosoever shall ask in Jesus name He will save.
This scripture does not mean that baptism is not required. This is just like asking what must I do to be saved. Jesus answers the question through the preaching of Peter in Acts 2. This is the first time "after the resurrection of Christ" the question was raised concerning salvation. There is no scripture where anyone asks Christ to come into their lives. Through the preaching and teaching of God's word, people realized that some of the things they were doing were wrong and therefore being lead to Christ. The bible does tell us to be baptized in water (Acts 8 Philip and the Ethiopian eunuch, Acts 10:47 the household of Cornelius). Was Jesus baptized in water (Matt. 3:16)? I know that it was not for the forgiveness of sins because He did no sin. It was to fulfil all righteousness and that we should do the same. Baptism is not an outward desire to do after receiving Jesus as your Savior. Mk. 16:15-16 tells us that baptism comes before salvation, but after believing (faith), not the other way around. Man has turned it around, not God. God uses baptism to remove all sin (Acts 22:16; Rev 1:5), not faith only, not prayer. It's obedience to God's word that saves us (Heb. 5:8-9). When we do exactly what God tells us to do, then we will get the results that we are looking for.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:28 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,079,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyDee View Post
I belong to the Church of Christ (for past 7 years). It follows the Bible. This is important to me as I believe the Bible is the true word of God. There is no perfect Church because it is made up of imperfect people but we try our best. I prefer "no" instruments to being entertained by a loud band. Without musical instruments everyone has to sing and it does sound beautiful. We don't go to Church to be entertained, we go to praise God and worship God. I am a woman. The men conduct the service and are deacons and elders. I am alright with that. I don't feel that I am treated as a lesser individual because I am a woman. If I have any opinions I present them to the elders. I am heard. We have several outreach ministries and our Church is fiscally responsible. We are always on budget or below budget and have no debts. We look after our own Church family. I have been to many Churches in my lifetime. I think there are Christians in all denominations that worship the trinity. I don't necessarily believe all that the Church of Christ teaches or their practises. They don't celebrate Christmas and Easter however most of the members of the Church do, just not in the Church. This bothers me so I go to another Church for Christmas and Easter services. They believe one has to be baptized by emersion to be saved. I believe that being saved is a commitment made to Christ to follow him and baptism is an outward sign. Some Churches sprinkle and some have immersion. To me it does not matter. I believe we will find a lot of Christians from all denominations in Heaven and not just "Church of Christ". Probably a lot that don't even go to Church also.
Thank you!!! The whole arguement of baptism vs. no baptism gets on my nerves. Ummmm... the thief on the cross, anyone? Jesus said,"today you'll be with me in paradise" I don't think the thief was a special exception. It's thru faith we're saved.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:41 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,079,106 times
SOOOooooo...do you wash feet at communion? Some would say it's specified in the Bible that you should....just asking
http://www.godsacres.org/tract.Bible...ashing.ocr.pdf

Old 08-18-2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
Thank you!!! The whole arguement of baptism vs. no baptism gets on my nerves. Ummmm... the thief on the cross, anyone? Jesus said,"today you'll be with me in paradise" I don't think the thief was a special exception. It's thru faith we're saved.
Actually the thief was a special exception. But even if he hadn't been, baptism would still not be required of him, since baptism into the death, burial and resurrection of Christ (per Romans 6:3-4) did not yet exist. Christ was still alive when the thief was saved.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:11 AM

241 posts, read 379,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
Some people, not the bible, say that the thief was baptized. Scripture please? Some people, not the bible, say that the thief was not baptized. Scripture please? My point is is that nowhere in the bible it tells us that he was or wasn't baptized. But there is more proof that he was than he wasn't. John baptized a lot of people, so who's to say that he wasn't one of them. Keep in mind these three (3) things: 1) he knew Jesus was Lord, 2) he knew he needed Jesus and that Jesus could help him, and 3) he knew about the kingdom. How did he know this? He could have heard it from the people or John could have taught him. But even with all of this, it's still speculation because there is no solid proof of whether he was or wasn't baptized. Therefore, his situation is irrelevant to whether baptism is essential to salvation or not. Everybody who obeyed the gospel of Christ in the book of Acts was baptized. Look at all the conversions sometime. Now why all of a sudden today it's not required. Shouldn't we just follow the pattern set by the apostles? I also believe we are saved through faith, but not only faith. You can't have faith unless you hear first. You also have to repent. No one is saved by just one thing.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher c. sr. View Post
Some people, not the bible, say that the thief was baptized. Scripture please? Some people, not the bible, say that the thief was not baptized. Scripture please? My point is is that nowhere in the bible it tells us that he was or wasn't baptized. But there is more proof that he was than he wasn't. John baptized a lot of people, so who's to say that he wasn't one of them. Keep in mind these three (3) things: 1) he knew Jesus was Lord, 2) he knew he needed Jesus and that Jesus could help him, and 3) he knew about the kingdom. How did he know this? He could have heard it from the people or John could have taught him. But even with all of this, it's still speculation because there is no solid proof of whether he was or wasn't baptized. Therefore, his situation is irrelevant to whether baptism is essential to salvation or not. Everybody who obeyed the gospel of Christ in the book of Acts was baptized. Look at all the conversions sometime. Now why all of a sudden today it's not required. Shouldn't we just follow the pattern set by the apostles? I also believe we are saved through faith, but not only faith. You can't have faith unless you hear first. You also have to repent. No one is saved by just one thing.
I don't think it matters whether the thief was baptized or not. The fact is that the baptism in which salvation occurs had not yet been instituted, so the only baptism the thief could have known was the baptism of John which was not linked with salvation. Besides Matthew says that both robbers hurled insults at Jesus while they were on their crosses (Matthew 27:44). So, apparently one of the robbers had a change of heart while he was on the cross.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity