Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 08:14 PM

33,227 posts, read 26,434,639 times

Advertisements

Let's say that the doctors told you that you only had a few weeks to live, or that you were on a plane that was about to crash and your death seemed certain. How do you think you would react?

Some months back I had what at the time I thought was, and which may have been, a heart attack. If so, it turned out to be minor. I had been asleep and was awakened when my heart started beating hard and fast for no apparent reason. And it went on for hours. I don't remember if there was any pain but I did feel strange. During that time it occurred to me that I might be about to die. And when that thought occurred to me I immediately felt a great sense of peace and joy. I was perfectly fine with the possibility that I might be about to depart from this world and go home to be with the Lord. Far from having any thought of going to the emergency room, I just lay there and enjoyed the moment until I eventually fell asleep.

How do you think that you personally would react if you thought that you might be about to die, or if you knew that your death was near and certain? Would you panic and fall apart? Or would you be at peace?

And please, let's not have any debate on whether the believer goes to heaven when he dies. That's not the topic of the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 08:20 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Let's say that the doctors told you that you only had a few weeks to live, or that you were on a plane that was about to crash and your death seemed certain. How do you think you would react?

Some months back I had what at the time I thought was, and which may have been, a heart attack. If so, it turned out to be minor. I had been asleep and was awakened when my heart started beating hard and fast for no apparent reason. And it went on for hours. I don't remember if there was any pain but I did feel strange. During that time it occurred to me that I might be about to die. And when that thought occurred to me I immediately felt a great sense of peace and joy. I was perfectly fine with the possibility that I might be about to depart from this world and go home to be with the Lord. Far from having any thought of going to the emergency room, I just lay there and enjoyed the moment until I eventually fell asleep.

How do you think that you personally would react if you thought that you might be about to die, or if you knew that your death was near and certain? Would you panic and fall apart? Or would you be at peace?

And please, let's not have any debate on whether the believer goes to heaven when he dies. That's not the topic of the thread.
It has happened to me on more than one occasion, peace came to me and I reacted the same way.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
It has happened to me on more than one occasion, peace came to me and I reacted the same way.
It's good to be able to be relaxed and have confidence in the face of death, and as a believer in Christ to know who and what awaits you when you depart this life.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:25 PM

Twenty-one reads so far and only one answer. Is this subject disturbing to people?

Old 02-14-2014, 09:53 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Quote:
Twenty-one reads so far and only one answer. Is this subject disturbing to people?
... as a believer or non-believer for that matter, there would be no difference.
I would be at peace, however, I would prefer to say; "Goodbye, to all my loved ones."

Old 02-14-2014, 10:20 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
... as a believer or non-believer for that matter, there would be no difference.
I would be at peace, however, I would prefer to say; "Goodbye, to all my loved ones."
This ^^^^^! I would be relieved . . . but feel sad for my friends and loved ones left behind.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:36 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
To know God is the God of life , and this will give you the understanding that it is the will of God that He wants you to live all your days in the earth that God has planed ................ So through prayers believer can develop a standard of expectation with faith that God is in control of His plan for to receive all the days in the earth which good health ................... So the reaction should be to believe God and His plan, for your never allowing the ideas of the devil to come in and give you any ideas which will give the devil authority to change that expectation of faith for all the days in the earth by the plan of God ................ So what ever the Doctors or other people say , They are not God , and they must never be allowed to become god , as God will pull people through some rough areas of life but will make the believer live all the days in the earth , with No mistakes when faith and expectation with love and spiritual authority is expressed to God ................ Like Repent, and caste down imagination and don`t let even one go through believing any ideas of the devil and his plan which is out of the will of God ..

Old 02-15-2014, 07:40 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
I don't find the subject of death disturbing but I was wondering how you could lay there for hours and not attempt to contact anyone. Which is why I asked you a question. You didn't contact anyone (like your family)? Did you want to say goodbye? Tell them you loved them?

Old 02-15-2014, 09:19 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,388,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555
There may be fewer answers than views because you limited your question to Christians. That's why I didn't respond, but I'll be happy to pad your thread with a non-Christian answer .

Quote:

I've had near misses with car accidents ... my immediate, in the moment gut reaction was always, "Oh crap!" and other instinctual responses: there was no thinking about death or anything else going on in those instances.

But, assuming a situation where I had time to actually contemplate the issue of my death, at this point in my life, with children dependent on me, I'd definitely be very distraught and concerned that I would be leaving them and my husband shortly. We're a tight unit, and I would be devastated to be abandoning them all. Beyond my concern for them, I'm sure I would be incredibly sad that I was going to be missing out on continuing to experience this life with them as well as regretting any areas where I felt I'd failed them. So yeah, I just might fall apart as I work through all that.

At some point, I'm assuming a resignation/peace would set in. It's something everyone has to go through, so all you can do is suck it up and face it, eh? Life will go on without me, my husband and children would survive and, hopefully, thrive. My part will be over, so I'd have to find a way to let go ... hopefully with some grace, and with more thought for others than for myself.

I think I'll always harbor the hope that there will be more to come after this life, and that the God who is love really is waiting to be more fully known on the other side of death so, on some level, I'd be anticipating that.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:33 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
I'm sure that I'd have mixed feelings, as would most of us. I'd probably have some regrets, and I'd feel bad for the loved ones I was going to leave behind. There definitely wouldn't be any fear, though. I would be looking forward to living with God and with my loved ones who had already passed on. To me, to believe in God is to know that all the rules will be fair and there will be many wonderful surprises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity