Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 09:23 AM

36 posts, read 35,672 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

What is Grace? Who is entitled to Grace? Is Grace earned? How does Grace "abolish" the Law? Does Grace cover everyone or only believers? Does Grace give believers the right to sin?

These are only a infinitesimal amount of questions that are asked when it comes to God's Grace.

Grace is what Jesus did on the cross.

Anyone who has confessed with their mouth and believed in the heart that Jesus Christ is Lord and was raised from the dead is "entitled" (given) to Grace.

The Law was set in place to show God how much the people loved Him, Grace shows how much God loves us.

Grace is only a gift to those who are saved.

Grace is the safety net that catches a believer when they fall.

Free will allows a person to freely do what they want whether it be in God's will or not.

I am looking forward to all questions, comments, and feedback.

~ Be Blessed ~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 10:32 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,528,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseman0 View Post
Greetings,
Grace is only a gift to those who are saved.
~ Be Blessed ~
Thank you, I just have one issue and that is common grace.
Matthew 5:44–45
But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.

Psalm 145:9
The Lord is good to all, and his mercy is over all that he has made.

In his book Bible Doctrine, Wayne Grudem says, “Common grace is the grace of God by which he gives people innumerable blessings that are not part of salvation. The word common here means something that is common to all people and is not restricted to believers or to the elect only.”

Old 02-26-2014, 11:31 AM

I can understand that but the Grace that Paul wrote about was only to Believers. Mercy is that which is common to ALL. God's Grace & Mercy are not the same. And, personally I've never read in the Bible about common Grace it truly sounds like Mercy to me.

When a person is a sinner (never given their life to Christ) it is God's Mercy that keeps/covers them.

When a person "backslides" because they have already been saved it is God's Grace that keeps/covers them.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:54 AM
Zur

949 posts, read 831,019 times
What is Grace? Grace is the favor of God who forgives us our sins and gives us eternal life through the sacrifice of Jesus. Who gets Grace? Every one that is in Christ (spiritually) and follows Jesus (walk in the Spirit) But grace is also for Christians that fail or for them that are even not saved, by the foreknowledge of God, who knows the ones that will love Him (Predestination) Is Grace earned? No, it is given as a gift to all that receive Jesus as LORD and Savior, but we can fall away from grace back under condemnation by not repenting of sin to death. How does Grace "abolish" the Law? Grace is the power of God to overcome, the letter of the Law could not do it. Does Grace cover everyone or only believers? Grace is given in a covenant relationship to those who believe in Jesus Christ. Does Grace give believers the right to sin? No. The sin to death separates from God. But grace given by God to repentance reconciles the relationship through the blood of the Lamb.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zur View Post
Is Grace earned? No, it is given as a gift to all that receive Jesus as LORD and Savior, but we can fall away from grace back under condemnation by not repenting of sin to death.

Zur,

I just have to disagree with the condemnation part... Well, question first... Who puts the person in condemnation?

Old 02-26-2014, 12:28 PM
Zur

949 posts, read 831,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseman0 View Post
I can understand that but the Grace that Paul wrote about was only to Believers. Mercy is that which is common to ALL. God's Grace & Mercy are not the same. And, personally I've never read in the Bible about common Grace it truly sounds like Mercy to me.

When a person is a sinner (never given their life to Christ) it is God's Mercy that keeps/covers them.

When a person "backslides" because they have already been saved it is God's Grace that keeps/covers them.
Luke 15:24 For this my son was dead (spiritual) and is alive again (he repented); he was lost and is found. Sin to death separates from God, it is not covered, nor forgiven. If we confess our sins, God is faithful to forgive and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zur View Post
Luke 15:24 For this my son was dead (spiritual) and is alive again (he repented); he was lost and is found. Sin to death separates from God, it is not covered, nor forgiven. If we confess our sins, God is faithful to forgive and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

I don't get what point you're making exactly. . . Please help me understand.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:06 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
This has lived with me as a simple explanation.

Justice is getting what you deserve
Mercy is not getting what you deserve
Grace is getting what you don't deserve

To understand grace you also understand justice and mercy. Grace is not a stand alone concept, grace must be understood in context. Notice a parent and a spoiled child. Parent extends "grace" in spite of unruly behavior but at what cost to a child's development? Is it still grace if that's the only pattern of parental discernment? and what would happen if justice was then instituted unexpectedly? rebellion? weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth? accusations? I can hear it now.... "this is so unfair"!

We must also answer; Does grace extend to anyone who blasphemes the Holy Spirit?

...just sayin'

Old 02-26-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
This has lived with me as a simple explanation.

Justice is getting what you deserve
Mercy is not getting what you deserve
Grace is getting what you don't deserve

To understand grace you also understand justice and mercy. Grace is not a stand alone concept, grace must be understood in context. Notice a parent and a spoiled child. Parent extends "grace" in spite of unruly behavior but at what cost to a child's development? Is it still grace if that's the only pattern of parental discernment? and what would happen if justice was then instituted unexpectedly? rebellion? weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth? accusations? I can hear it now.... "this is so unfair"!

We must also answer; Does grace extend to anyone who blasphemes the Holy Spirit?

...just sayin'
Dave n Tenn,

I like that. But if the child loved their parents they wouldn't WANT to do anything that goes against their rules, regulations, standards, morals, etc... And if they do they will come to the parents openly and honestly and no punishment would be necessary because the relationship that the parents and child have. Now, on the contrary if that child is deceitful and plans to be unruly and disobedient or they are just out right are unruly I can understand the need for justice and mercy.

I truly believe that a person is going to do what they want, even believers, the difference to me is the heart's motive. I am sure there were times in many of our lives where we wanted to do the right thing and we didn't regardless of how small it was. And this is why God has Grace for us believers who desire to live and walk in His will and ways.

I also believe Grace and its fullness is hard for us to understand and grasp b/c we read about the God of the OT and man's laws say punish a person for their wrong-doings, so when Grace is talked about we have a hard time truly just accepting it for what God meant it to be........ A FREE Gift that shows us how much He loves us.

Think about this.... God is omniscient, All-Knowing, so if He knew that mankind was going to fall short of His goodness before the foundation of the earth, through knowing this was prepared to give His only Son, and even though every person would not believe in Jesus... Yet He still created us!!! If that isn't Love, what is it? Grace is the largest form of God's Love toward those who believe.

Understand?? Sorry so long...

Last edited by wiseman0; 02-26-2014 at 02:09 PM..

Old 02-26-2014, 03:37 PM

758 posts, read 848,316 times
Grace - greek word "Charis" - unmerited favor.

The divine intervention in the heart & the reflection through the life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity