Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 12:03 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,891,678 times

Advertisements

Did you just happen to know Big T's wife is a type one diabetic??? Great example!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 12:28 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,283,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
True but diabetes is a physical condition. Calling someone a born sinner borders on psychological abuse.
In the illustration I gave, in that sense we are all born diabetics. If you had diabetes, wouldn't you like to know this so you could begin to treat it? Would being told you needed help be psychological abuse? I don't think so!
Quote:
Anywayz, as far I'm concerned Jesus only focused on positive messages and not calling people born sinners who can’t do no good.
Jesus said "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by me." He also said that you must be born again to inherit eternal life, and that if any would come after Him, they must take up the cross. Hardly a positive or popular message.

(and little thirsty, I hope you don't think I'm trying to belittle diabetes.. I have some good friends with diabetes and I know it's not easy!)

And back to the OP once again... my wife had an uncle who ignored his diabetes and died early from it, leaving his wife a widow with two young sons. If we think this through, why would anyone do this? Similarly, why would we be thankful for anything (sin) that causes spiritual death? In fact, if we don't flee from it our "symptoms" will get worse, and our chances of living a "productive" life will get smaller.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:48 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,891,678 times
My goodness, in no way shape or form did I think that. I thought it was a great example!

Old 12-04-2007, 12:56 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,261,993 times
Originally Posted by cg81
Quote:
In the illustration I gave, in that sense we are all born diabetics.
The thing is that I do not have diabetes.
Nor do I have parents who call me a sinner.
If YOU want to believe that you are a sinner then call yourself a sinner, but do not call ME a sinner because you consider yourself a sinner.

Quote:
He also said that you must be born again to inherit eternal life, and that if any would come after Him, they must take up the cross. Hardly a positive or popular message.
The moment I decided to follow Jesus instead of committing suicide I’m literally born again.
And every day I pick up my own cross.
Do you want to know how?
By not blaming others for my mistakes.
Nor do I call them lost if they do not do the things the way I do them.

Quote:
In fact, if we don't flee from it our "symptoms" will get worse, and our chances of living a "productive" life will get smaller.
If you want to believe that, fine.
I already lead a productive life by the way that I live.
Unless people cannot make decisions themselves, they're primarily responsible for their own actions and decisions.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Unless people cannot make decisions themselves, they're primarily responsible for their own actions and decisions.
... which was what I said at the very beginning! (no, let's not go around the circle again!)

Old 12-04-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
... which was what I said at the very beginning! (no, let's not go around the circle again!)
The problem is that whenever you call someone a born sinner you automatically imply that he is incapable of making the right decision. A born sinner can only make the wrong decision; otherwise he would not be a born sinner at all.

Many 'primitive' aboriginal was forced to give up his 'sinful' primitive way of life in order to live life the Christian way.
Somehow I do not believe that this is what Jesus had envisioned.
And I don't think that Christians should be grateful for having participated in all this.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:22 PM

14,922 posts, read 17,262,418 times
The way that I understand it is that we are sinners because of death operating in us. I believe that when Adam sinned, death entered and because we are dying, we sin as a result. Babies who have never sinned may die as babies because of this. They are not sinners but they become sinners due to the condition into which they are born, which is death. God bless.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:42 PM

Quote:
The problem is that whenever you call someone a born sinner you automatically imply that he is incapable of making the right decision.
Not at all! We are each given the free choice to ignore the disease or accept the remedy.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Not at all! We are each given the free choice to ignore the disease or accept the remedy.
And yet Christians act as if only they can have the remedy, that the remedy of non-Christians can only be fake because you Christians believe to possess the Holy Grail of all remedies.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:56 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,230,132 times
The one thing that bothers me is one poster's reference to all of us being in Satan's bondage.

This implies that our only choice is that of going along with Satan, or accepting Jesus. I can't see that. The choice to be good or evil is OURS. Satan doesn't MAKE us sin.

We overlook the fact that usually the "good" way is the most practical and reasonable way to live in this world. Your neighbor is usually a lot easier to live with if you treat him as you would like to be treated. If you steal or kill, then you give the same right to steal and kill to others. It's common sense to do the best you can. It will pay off in the long run.

Even "Thou shalt not covet" can be reduced to: It's easier to go through life being satisfied with what you have rather than staying upset because you can't have everything you want. Common sense again....people shouldn't need a commandment to tell them that.

Putting Satan or God into every action seems to me to take responsibility for our own behavior away, and blaming everything bad on Satan, and giving God credit for the good things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity