Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 04:26 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,526,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Sarge, this whole paragraph is so fallacious that I cannot even respond to the rest of your post.
Stop stating what "should" or "shouldn't" offend me. Your logic does not compute.
I can use a form of logic to tell you what you should or shouldn't feel too, (for instance: You are LDS and many other Christians don't believe that you are a true follower of Christ. Therefore, you shouldn't be concerned about the Christian issue of whether crosses can be worn by government officials. See what I'm doing here?) but I think, in that case, the fallacy would be quite obvious to you.
I as a Mormon don't care whether other religions believe we are Christians. Their beliefs are of no consequence to me. I let them do their thing to their hearts content, and as long as they do not interfere with my right to worship as I choose, we won’t have any problems. I wonder why Atheist can’t do the same thing. I mean, after all, a Crucifix doesn’t interfere with a person’s right not to believe, and it doesn't matter where it is. Having Santa Claus as a symbol for Christmas doesn’t interfere with my right not to believe in him. Having the Ten Commandments in a courtroom display doesn't force me to believe in the Bible. Then again, perhaps people are more mindless than I think.

Finally, b, the basis for this entire Crucifix debate is fallacious and has no root in law. The government made no law respecting the establishment of religion. You will find no ordinance mandating Chaplain badges will have a Crucifix. It is a tradition, having nothing to do with government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 10:43 PM

2 posts, read 5,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Crosses will be removed from badges worn by Spokane Police chaplains under terms of an out-of-court settlement between the city and a former Lutheran pastor-turned-atheist who sued over the government agency’s use of the insignias and Christian prayers.

SR.com: Crosses to be removed from police chaplain badges (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/breaking/story.asp?ID=12629 - broken link)
Great Info!
I think you'd appreciate The American Center for Law and Justice because the are hard at work fighting for our freedom as christians and are ready to take on new cases for Christ. They also have info about our rights to worship as christians, so don't be in the dark about this, pass it on.
Here's the website (http://www.aclj.org/)and don't forget to sign petitions because they need our help to keep our freedom from being slowly taken away. By the way, does Target support christians? It seems this store doesn't because I don't hear staff say "Merry Christmas" (but only Happy Holidays) and it's nowhere to be found in their products. I don't buy there anymore.
God Bless and Merry Christ-mas!
Jerome

Old 12-13-2007, 10:39 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,077,615 times
1. The presumption that the cross indicates a Christian faith is wide assumption.

2. A 'Cross' can represent many religions (not just Christianity)

I agree it is stupid that a chaplain has to remove it from his badge. On the other hand there could be officers of other faiths in that dept.

I see both sides.. In the time I took to write this post .. something much more important in the world (other than crosses being removed from a badge) happened.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:36 AM

30,403 posts, read 52,016,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
1. The presumption that the cross indicates a Christian faith is wide assumption.

2. A 'Cross' can represent many religions (not just Christianity)
What other faiths does it represent? Seriously, I'd like to know, since I only associate it with Christianity (and it's associated denominations)... it certainly doesn't represent Judaism, Islam, or Buddhism, as far as I know.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I see both sides.. In the time I took to write this post .. something much more important in the world (other than crosses being removed from a badge) happened.
Now that, I can understand... this is certainly not an important issue, and quite frankly I don't care either way! It's just something to debate, since it was brought up here.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:47 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,077,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
What other faiths does it represent? Seriously, I'd like to know, since I only associate it with Christianity (and it's associated denominations)... it certainly doesn't represent Judaism, Islam, or Buddhism, as far as I know.

Occitan cross
Red Cross
Sun Cross
Thieves Cross

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross

From a religion standpoint I would say probably pagan and some norse affiliations also used it.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:13 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,649,036 times
The cross did not become a Christian symbol until the 7th century if I am correct . It used to be the Fish didn't it ?
I know most Christians over here have the Fish symbol on their cars.
The cross was an ancient symbol long before Christianity ( from the sun representations of Bronze age Europe to the Egyptian Ankh , it is found in Crete, Mycenae and of course throughout Etruscan Italy).

However this is rather irrelevant nowadays as it is accepted a symbol of Christianity now !

Old 12-14-2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Occitan cross
Red Cross
Sun Cross
Thieves Cross

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross

From a religion standpoint I would say probably pagan and some norse affiliations also used it.
How many people in the United States today practice such religions?? According to that article, most of the other examples were from ancient religions - primarily in Egypt, Rome, and Great Britain. Here & now, the cross represents Christianity.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:39 AM

33 posts, read 196,241 times
Just to clarify, police chaplains still can wear lapel pins to advertise religious affiliation, same as in the military.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:53 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,652,904 times
I am just waiting for the nation's backlash against all of this.

What ever happened to the inane controversy over the city name of Las Cruces?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity