Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2008, 08:00 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,505,135 times

Advertisements

Sergeant,
Friend, "Refund"? Heavenly Father's truth is free and sets you free. It's the Mormons god that comes with a price. Take a good look, the people in line at the refund counter are ex-Mormons. Hope to see you there!

Old 01-01-2008, 02:27 PM

250 posts, read 503,755 times
Twin, I agree with SergeantL. Your list of contradicting scriptures is nonsensical. Who do you look to for authoritative intreptation of scripture? What makes you so sure you are even interpreting scripture correctly?

Old 01-01-2008, 03:22 PM

5 posts, read 16,540 times
Ok! I'm a mormon and have been since I was born. Let me just clarify to the world that yes, we are christians and very much believe in God. For anybody who has read the entire bible, aren't God the Father and Jesus his Son both Gods? so technically, all christians are polytheists, because we believe and worship both of them, don't we all? the idea of polytheism is kind of foreign, but in reading the bible, any smart christian will realize this truth. I just cannot belive there are so many ignorant people in this world! We are all sons and daughters of our Father in heaven, and therefore, we have been spiritually created by him. I wish I could clarify all the misconceptions about us out there. I have been a missionary for 18 months serving the Lord and helping others, and let me tell you, it was an incredible experience! we did nothing but help people come closer to Christ. If you would like to know more about us, then I would suggest going to the source and becoming educated and not just reading what random people have to say about us.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:20 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,526,166 times
OK, Twin; although, I have not gone through every one of your alleged contradictions—I will continue as time permits—I have compared a sufficient number to draw a few conclusions and opinions:

You have not actually read the entire Book of Mormon, I note that your list stops with the first two books within the Book of Mormon. I have included a complete list for the uninformed, who may be reading this post.

First Book of Nephi: His Reign and Ministry …Second Book of Nephi ...Book of Jacob: The Brother of Nephi …Book of Enos …Book of Jarom …Book of Omni …Words of Mormon …Book of Mosiah …Book of Alma: The Son of Alma …Book of Helaman Third Nephi: The Book of Nephi, The Son of Nephi, Who Was the Son of Helaman Fourth Nephi: The Book of Nephi, who Is the Son of Nephi…Book of Mormon …Book of Ether…Book of Moroni

Next, it appears you have not taken the time to read the verses in context. I have listed a few additional contradictions from your list here to illustrate my point:

1 Nephi 4:13

13 Behold the Lord slayeth the wicked to bring forth his righteous purposes. It is better that one man should perish than that a nation should dwindle and perish in unbelief.

(This is Nephi talking about a wicked man, who attempted to thwart the purposes of God and is not related to John 11:50. We know from the Bible that God will destroy the wicked to prevent the destruction of his people. Ex: Pharaohs army was drowned to prevent the destruction of Israel.)

John 11 50

50 Nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not.

(This is Caiaphas the High Priest talking about having Jesus put to death so that the Jews would not believe in Him, because the Sadducees and Pharisees did not believe Christ was the Savior.)

1 Nephi 8:10

10 And it came to pass that I beheld a tree, whose fruit was desirable to make one happy.

(The tree in this passage is NOT referring to the tree of the knowledge of good and evil in the Garden of Eden. This tree represents the Gospel of Jesus Christ.) (It appears you focused on the word tree and made an assumption they were the same tree.)

Genesis 3 6

6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat

(This is the tree of the knowledge of good and evil in the Garden of Eden and is not even remotely related to the tree referred to in 1 Nephi 8:10.)

1 Nephi 8:25

25 And after they had partaken of the fruit of the tree they did cast their eyes about as if they were ashamed.

(Again, this tree represents the Gospel of Jesus Christ. This passage points out that some people will find Christ, but the world will make them feel ashamed by ridiculing the Gospel and calling it silly stories.)

Genesis 3:7

7 And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.

(Once again, this is not the tree referred to in 1 Nephi 8:25.)

1 Nephi 10:8

8 Yea, even he should go forth and cry in the wilderness: Prepare ye the way of the Lord, and make his paths straight; for there standeth one among you whom ye know not; and he is mightier than I, whose shoe’s latchet I am not worthy to unloose. And much spake my father concerning this thing.

(This is Lehi, the father of the author of the above passage, declaring John the Baptist would prepare the way of the Lord. It does not conflict with Matthew 3:3, 11.)

Matthew 3:3, 11

3 For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.

11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

1 Nephi 10:9

9 And my father said he should baptize in Bethabara, beyond Jordan; and he also said he should baptize with water; even that he should baptize the Messiah with water.

(This passage declares John the Baptist will baptize in many places with water and he would baptize the Savior. It’s obvious this is precisely what John the Baptist did and does not conflict with John 1:29.)

John 1:29

29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

In conclusion, Twin, it took very little effort on my part to find the errors in your alleged list. Dilligent research is the hallmark of intellectual honesty.

Finally, I invite anyone to research these alleged contradictions on their own and not to simply rely on my word.

Last edited by SergeantL; 01-02-2008 at 10:05 AM..

Old 01-02-2008, 11:26 AM

479 posts, read 1,142,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ministers View Post
Let's discuss this mysterious religion and what they really believe. Let's chat. I throw out the first question. Do Mormons believe in polytheism? The belief of more than one God.
I haven't read the entire thread, but I must say that I do have respect for many of the body of believers of the Mormon Churches - particulary their devotion to their church, as well as their ability to go out and witness and bring new people into fellowship. There's a lot many Christians can learn from the Mormon faith, despite not being in agreement with their doctrine.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:16 PM

"Dilligent research is the hallmark of intellectual honesty". The one sentence we can agree on!
Galations 1: 8-9
8But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned! 9As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned!

What did Paul preached? [past tense] 1 Corinthians 1:23, 25

23but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, - - 25For the foolishness of God is wiser than man’s wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man’s strength.
If only Joseph Smith did dilligent research------
Need more help, visit thecityofzion.com

Old 01-02-2008, 08:13 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,526,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
"Dilligent research is the hallmark of intellectual honesty". The one sentence we can agree on!
Galations 1: 8-9
8But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned! 9As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned!

What did Paul preached? [past tense] 1 Corinthians 1:23, 25

23but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, - - 25For the foolishness of God is wiser than man’s wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man’s strength.
If only Joseph Smith did dilligent research------
Need more help, visit thecityofzion.com
This is all very nice, Twin, but it still does not explain the obviously, as Zimbabwe observes, “nonsensical” comparisons you posted. Finally, don’t assume you aren’t the one preaching the “other” Gospel.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:43 PM

250 posts, read 503,755 times
Default Twin, please answer the question.

Twin, we all believe what Paul wrote to the Galations. But you have not answered my questions. As Sergeant pointed out, your interpretation of scripture, at least as far as these comparisons are concerned, seems to be out of whack. How do you know you are interpreting the scriptures correctly and others are not? What source do you look to for help in interpreting the scriptures?

Old 01-03-2008, 08:54 AM

“Proof”

“If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.” - Luke 16:31
“Show me your sources!” “Give me something I can really trust!” There are times when I need proof, times when I have to rely on some hard, cold facts. Why does this happen? Why become so calloused to what people say and promise?

Unfortunately, when I become overly cautious of everyone and everything, it can lead me to become suspicious of the Lord and his Word. How can I be sure he is telling me the truth? How can I avoid being disappointed? How can I be safe from being deceived by an empty promise? I need proof! In this desperate desire for evidence, I approach the Lord with my demands. “Prove it!” “Show me!” “Give me some real evidence!”

This is why I need to go to the Scriptures, or as Jesus called them - "Moses and the Prophets." Today that also includes the writers of the New Testament - the Evangelists and the Apostles. Here God recorded his truth for every generation. Here is the foundation I need for my life. Here is the proof on which I can build my hope.

Show me! Give me something I can really trust! Because I have been disappointed in the past, I need proof! God has provided me with the proof I need in his Word and with his Son. Therefore, I can put my confidence in the Lord, because “anyone who trusts in him [Jesus] will never be put to shame” (Romans 10:11).

Old 01-03-2008, 11:04 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,735,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
“Proof”

“If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.” - Luke 16:31
“Show me your sources!” “Give me something I can really trust!” There are times when I need proof, times when I have to rely on some hard, cold facts. Why does this happen? Why become so calloused to what people say and promise?

Unfortunately, when I become overly cautious of everyone and everything, it can lead me to become suspicious of the Lord and his Word. How can I be sure he is telling me the truth? How can I avoid being disappointed? How can I be safe from being deceived by an empty promise? I need proof! In this desperate desire for evidence, I approach the Lord with my demands. “Prove it!” “Show me!” “Give me some real evidence!”

This is why I need to go to the Scriptures, or as Jesus called them - "Moses and the Prophets." Today that also includes the writers of the New Testament - the Evangelists and the Apostles. Here God recorded his truth for every generation. Here is the foundation I need for my life. Here is the proof on which I can build my hope.

Show me! Give me something I can really trust! Because I have been disappointed in the past, I need proof! God has provided me with the proof I need in his Word and with his Son. Therefore, I can put my confidence in the Lord, because “anyone who trusts in him [Jesus] will never be put to shame” (Romans 10:11).
That’s all well and good, but you are taking scriptures out of context and therefore perverting the Truth to which you claim to cling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.