Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2008, 06:25 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,119,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Momtofour, I am curious how long you were a member and how active you were before you asked to have your name removed from the rolls of the church. And also Urbanlemur.
For 18 years. I was quite active and was a sunday school teacher and ward clerk. They were working with me to become a counselor at the ward I attended.

My reasons for leaving parallel what MomtoFour mentioned. The more I read into the history, the less the doctrine made sense to me. Plus, I lost all sense of spirituality with the church. There were some other factors involved also but that's pretty much it.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:53 AM

479 posts, read 1,142,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
For 18 years. I was quite active and was a sunday school teacher and ward clerk. They were working with me to become a counselor at the ward I attended.

My reasons for leaving parallel what MomtoFour mentioned. The more I read into the history, the less the doctrine made sense to me. Plus, I lost all sense of spirituality with the church. There were some other factors involved also but that's pretty much it.
That's really a blessing urban. I think God sometimes puts us in situations for various reasons, so we can use what we've learned to help others gain knowledge of the truth. Take myself for example, I grew up in a secular school system which taught evolution and a lot of worldly convuluted doctrines - however, I grew up in a Christian home. All of the education I received has really benefited me in determining the falsity of some of the stuff I hear today on the news and various media groups regarding the origins of man. Had I not learned these things at a young age - I'd have no ability to really understand why they were false.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:16 AM

479 posts, read 1,142,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoFour View Post
Why did you and your husband leave the church?

I'll try to keep this brief, in the interests of not derailing the thread too much.

In a nutshell, it started when we began reading more about Mormon history. We knew there were some skeletons in the closet, but we felt confident that when we looked at the history in depth, there would be good explanations. What we found instead was issue after issue that just didn't jive with the idea that the church was The One True Church. In a period of about six weeks, I no longer believed in the First Vision as the church promotes it now, the divine origin of the Book of Mormon, the divine origin of polygamy, Joseph Smith's prophethood, etc., etc. Then I spent another two-three months trying to decide if I should stay Mormon because it was a good church. I discovered that the Mormon church didn't really fit with what I felt God would want in a church as well as other churches I found, and that I would grow more spiritually in a different church.

Luckily, DH felt the same way. So we left.
This is something I'm hearing from more and more Mormans and Muslims nowadays. The Lord is truly working within the Mormon Church to open eyes that were blinded. One thing I might add though is that be careful not to get to complacent with studying the doctrines of the Protestant denominations - or any Church that preaches the gospel for that matter nowadays. Not to say run away from fellowship with other members of the body or anything, but always study everything you hear when being preached to - or test the spirits.

My sister and I actually went to a Baptist Church where a preacher stated some pretty innaccurate stuff about the gospels in which she had to challenged him about, and he had to change his stance on what he was preaching. What type of Church do you attend now?(urban if you answer this question to that would be great)

Last edited by simpleton; 01-05-2008 at 07:40 AM..

Old 01-05-2008, 07:24 AM

255 posts, read 608,978 times
Right now I attend a United Church of Christ church.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:48 AM

I attend an Assembly of God church now.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:17 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,509,974 times
Those who research the history are following the advice of due "Dilligent research is the hallmark of intellectual honesty." Some believe what they read, others not.
The day I see the true message of the cross being preached in the LDS as the means Heavenly Father required for salvation, then I might believe that LDS and Christianity can be used in the same sentence.

23but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, 1 Corinthians 1:23

Jesus [being perfect] said John 3:14 -21

14Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert, so the Son of Man must be lifted up,

15 that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life.

18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

19This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil.

20 Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed.

21 But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God."

This is how I know that I'm "interpreting" correctly. There is no need for another "gospel". These passages either free you or condemn. Love the light, or hate it. I live by the truth, into the light [verse 21].
Need more light? visit thecityofzion.com

Old 01-05-2008, 12:01 PM

250 posts, read 503,872 times
Default Different experience

Frankly, my experience with the Mormon church is completely the opposite from Momtofour. I also grew up in the church, etc, etc. As I study the history of the church and the scriptures, ancient and modern, I become more and more convinced that Joseph Smith was a prophet and that Christ lives and is our Savior. The history of the church is glorious. The people, of course, are imperfect and may not always live up to the expected conduct of christians, but it is the sick that need a physician and not the whole.

The fact that people leave the church is nothing new today or in the past (and it is not unique to the Mormon faith). In fact, Paul had to deal with it in his day. The scriptures also report that there were those who no longer walked with Jesus--- being offended at some of His doctrine. I do not say this to impy that Momtofour and urbanlemur are in that class. God will make that judgement. I only bring this up to defend the Church.

The jews in Rome came to Paul and asked to hear his teachings concerning this new sect "for as concerning this new sect," they said, "we know that everywhere it is spoken against." (Acts 28:22)KJV Paul was not part of the "mainstream" and was persecuted and eventually gave his life for it. Jesus was not a part of the mainstream religion of His day and consequently offended many. Since when does truth win popularity contests? It seldom does.

The compliants against Jesus were endless. One reason the jewish leaders of His day opposed Him was that they wrongly believed He was born in Nasareth. Everyone knew the Messiah would come from the city of David which was Bethlehem. Had our Lord produced for these jewish leaders a birth certificate, signed and sealed by their Roman overlords, documenting His birth in Bethlehem, do you think that would have changed their minds at all? No, not one iota. They would have moved on to their next complaint.

And so it is today. There is no dissuading these anti-Mormons because their hearts and minds are closed. They send people to our meetings to literally yell and scream and desecrate things that are sacred to us, calling us names and mocking us. Do you think that is Christian behaviour? There were those who mocked Christ in a very similar way.

There are many good Christian people today who do not indulge in this war of words. I percieve that Simpleton and Coolcat are among them. These are the kind of people I want for neighbors, and my faith doesn't condemn them to Hell just because they don't believe exactly the way I do.

How do the honest in heart determine if Mormonism is true or not? Read the Book of Mormon. It is tangible evidence that God called a prophet in these latter days. Read in the privacy of you own home. Ponder its message and then ask God if it is not true? It will not be flesh and blood that manifests the truth of it unto you, but the Holy Spirit of our Father in Heaven. I love the Book of Mormon as I love the Bible.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:42 PM

255 posts, read 608,978 times
Zimbabwe, I definitely agree with you that people who shout things at people attending Conference, disrupt meetings, etc., are not acting in a Christ-like manner.

I do, however, think that people who are trying to determine if the Mormon church is true should read more than the Book of Mormon.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:55 PM

Zimbabwe, most of us have probably known someone who has left a church that we belong to and it leaves us scratching our heads and wondering why but it happens. Our own convictions and faith may be very strong but we don't know what causes folks to walk away from something that we and others hold very sacred and dear. The best thing we can do is to pray for them and be there if they wish to talk.

This made me wonder if someone here has made a great leap of faith from one belief to another like a muslim becoming a buddhist or a catholic becoming a hindu. But then, maybe that's for another thread someday.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:25 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,160,394 times
Default No One True Church

In my opinion(and that's all it is or anyone else's) there is no one true church. People can say that their interpretation is the correct interpretation, but when it comes to the bible no one really knows what the correct interpretation is. Churches are man made institutions making up organized religion. Each and every one of these Churches is the result of a man or men's interpretation of the bible, other religious text, oral history or announced communication from God. Every one of these churches/denominations/sects is imperfect since man created them. For anyone to make the statement that their's is the only true church or that people who don't believe as they do cannot go to heaven, they are either naive, ignorant, or somewhat brainwashed.
I am both amazed and saddened by all of the hate and killing done in the name of God, by all religions. How ironic that something that is supposed to be all about love and peace is responsible for so much hate and death in the world.
I believe in God. I believe in the teachings of Jesus Christ. I probably interpret some of His teachings differently than others. The odds of my being correct in my interpretation is no greater nor no less than anyone else's interpretation.
Bottom line-forget about all of the hate, bickering, who's right, who's wrong. Concern yourself with what you believe and live your life in such a way that you believe God wants you to. Then let others do the same for themselves. God Bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.