Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the BIBLE be the only standard for truth?
YES 20 28.99%
NO 49 71.01%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 04:44 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
I am giving a qualified "yes" as everything non Biblical must be tested against it when it comes to Biblical/religious truth, Doctrine, etc.

Do individuals receiving direction from God receive true understanding, yes, but NEVER in contradiction to the Bible, or the spirit giving it is Satan's, not God's.

The "Touchstone cannot be what we believe is true or what we believe we have received.
You know, I have been getting the strangest silence on a question I posed that would test this perception, perhaps you would like to respond?
In Leviticus the instruction is given that would allow the owner of a slave to beat him nearly to death, Paul clearly says for masters to treat their slaves with respect, and the current perception of most Christians based on the Golden rule is that owning a slave at all is not right. How do you explain the discrepancies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 04:47 PM

296 posts, read 238,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Where in your bible does it say this ?. The spirit is not the bible, and the sooner you understand that the better, for it sounds like what you are saying through your mind already made up, if i am hearing something that does not fit with what i believe, i reject as being non biblical. They tested Jesus Christ and what he had to say in the same way and ended up crucifying him.

He that has an ear to hear let him hear what the spirit has to say.
You only know and believe in the Spirit from the Bible do you not? We're getting into your circular argument again.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel A. Pettinicchio View Post
You only know and believe in the Spirit from the Bible do you not? We're getting into your circular argument again.
No.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:14 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
By reality(experience) i know the spirit. When Jesus said my peace i give to you he was imparting himself to us, that is the Spirit of God.

Just as Jesus was coming up out of the water, he saw heaven being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove.And a voice came from heaven: "You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased."

The peace of God is all over that which is Spirit.

Again Jesus said, "Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you."

Probably wasn't what you wanted to hear

Old 04-03-2014, 05:15 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,990,472 times
Quote:
If it were the only standard for the Truth, why are their so many denominations, each different from the other, claiming to possess that one truth?

There is NO answer to that.

In [fact, the book itself doesn't claim to be the one standard. That very claim that either it does, or that it is, is a tradition of man.

Quote:
In fact, the book itself doesn't claim to be the one standard. That very claim that either it does, or that it is, is a tradition of man.

Oh really? How about these:
Isa 8:16 Bind up the testimony (te'uwday), seal the law (torah) among my disciples.KJV
Isa 8:20 To the [1]law and to the [2]testimony: if they speak not according to this [3]word, it is because there is no light in them.KJV
[1] the law=the first 5 books of the OT.

[2] the testimony[ te'uwdah]=the prophets

[3] word=Scriptures

Did you get that? If someone doesn't speak according the the Scriptures there's no light in them!

There's an identical phrase in the NT; "Moses and the prophets", found in Luke 16:29,31, Luke 24:27,44, John 1:45, Acts 26:22, and Acts 28:23.

The book of Rev. also defines 'testimony for us:
Rev 19:10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.
From the Catholic Living Bible:
Isa 8:16 Write down all these things I am going to do, says the Lord, and seal it up for the future. Entrust it to some godly man to pass on down to godly men of future generations.
From the New American Bible for Catholics:
Prov 30:5 Every word of God is tested; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.
Prov 30:6 Add nothing to his words, lest he reprove you, and you be exposed as a deceiver.

John 10:35 If it calls them gods [judges] to whom the word of God came, scripture cannot be set aside,{broken}

Last edited by mshipmate; 04-03-2014 at 05:28 PM..

Old 04-03-2014, 06:36 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,902,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Jesus clearly taught that the Bible is ultimate and only standard of truth, So I think it is pretty clear the BIBLE is the standard for truth, not SDA, RCC, or JW traditions, but what is found in scriptures.
I voted "No"... No one can understand the scriptures apart from Christ opening their eyes to understand them.

Luke 24:45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,

Old 04-03-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
Oh really? How about these:
Isa 8:16 Bind up the testimony (te'uwday), seal the law (torah) among my disciples.KJV
Isa 8:20 To the [1]law and to the [2]testimony: if they speak not according to this [3]word, it is because there is no light in them.KJV
[1] the law=the first 5 books of the OT.

[2] the testimony[ te'uwdah]=the prophets

[3] word=Scriptures

Did you get that? If someone doesn't speak according the the Scriptures there's no light in them!

There's an identical phrase in the NT; "Moses and the prophets", found in Luke 16:29,31, Luke 24:27,44, John 1:45, Acts 26:22, and Acts 28:23.

The book of Rev. also defines 'testimony for us:
Rev 19:10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.
From the Catholic Living Bible:
Isa 8:16 Write down all these things I am going to do, says the Lord, and seal it up for the future. Entrust it to some godly man to pass on down to godly men of future generations.
Prov 30:5 Every word of God is tested; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.
Prov 30:6 Add nothing to his words, lest he reprove you, and you be exposed as a deceiver.
John 10:35 If it calls them gods [judges] to whom the word of God came, scripture cannot be set aside,{broken}
You would have a point if word actually DID equal scriptures....at least you would for those following the Mosaic Covenant. For the New Covenant, Jesus promised a "Comforter" which is the Holy Spirit to guide and there are some excellent tools to check leadings of the Spirit.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
By reality(experience) i know the spirit. When Jesus said my peace i give to you he was imparting himself to us, that is the Spirit of God.

Just as Jesus was coming up out of the water, he saw heaven being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove.And a voice came from heaven: "You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased."

The peace of God is all over that which is Spirit.

Again Jesus said, "Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you."

Probably wasn't what you wanted to hear
I wanted to hear what you believe. It's all good.

The problem is that you are still quoting the Bible to prove what is in the Bible.

If it were not for the Bible you would not know the Spirit.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:47 PM

[quote=expatCA;34203703]
Do individuals receiving direction from God receive true understanding, yes, but NEVER in contradiction to the Bible, or the spirit giving it is Satan's, not God's.quote]

In contradiction to who's interpretation of the Bible? Don't you see that your statement makes you out to be judge & jury upon someone else's soul?

Old 04-03-2014, 08:09 PM

13,602 posts, read 4,929,902 times
Default Why?

Why do you all think the Bible is the only source of truth about God? Could the Koran, the Book of Mormon and the Hindu scriptures not also contain truth about God?

Can someone explain why they believe that only the Bible contains truth, (without quoting the Bible)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity