Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2014, 08:46 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,457,670 times

Advertisements

Man plans his way, but the Spirit directs his steps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 09:03 PM

64,066 posts, read 40,345,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel A. Pettinicchio View Post
That is not the way God wants you to believe in Him. We are called to serve Him according to His plan, not ours.
And YOU know this HOW???

Old 04-10-2014, 09:19 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,971,823 times
Quote:
No, you are incorrect and evidently afraid to look at the historical truth.

Because of your unwillingness to debate on truth and the facts, why debate at all?
The truth of history is that the Bishops of Rome scrambled for power for centuries and the "Great Schism" was really all about that continuous power grab. Revisionsist "history" by Roman Catholic apologists simply doesn't fly.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:42 PM

296 posts, read 239,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
And YOU know this HOW???
I know this because the Bible was never meant for private interpretation. I know this because the Church that wrote and produced the Bible tells me so.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The truth of history is that the Bishops of Rome scrambled for power for centuries and the "Great Schism" was really all about that continuous power grab. Revisionsist "history" by Roman Catholic apologists simply doesn't fly.
Which one are you speaking of Nate?

Old 04-10-2014, 10:08 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,457,670 times
Quote:
I know this because the Bible was never meant for private interpretation.
I know this because the Church that wrote and produced the Bible tells me so.
A private interpretation is a mode of understanding.
Groups of people who congregate are not exempt.

Old 04-10-2014, 10:08 PM

439 posts, read 428,261 times
Quote:
Peter was the pope.

There is a published list of popes dating back to Peter.

Jesus gave Peter the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven. You ought to read the Bible and also maybe brush up on your history.

Anyone know who the 2nd pope was? He is even mentioned in Scripture.
Uuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhh... What??? If that's what you and your church are claiming then there is something seriously wrong here!!

Quote:
I know this because the Bible was never meant for private interpretation. I know this because the Church that wrote and produced the Bible tells me so.
I'm sorry... But I can't help but giggle!!

You do know you're actually misinterpreting the Bible, right??

If Peter was a pope why did the Catholic Church change the way they baptized?

They completely made up their own formula!

Not only did the Catholic Church change the formula, but they changed the method too!!

The Catholic Church adopted the "sprinkle" method. What's up with that?!?!

Peter ONLY baptized in the name of Jesus!!

Peter ONLY baptized by submersion!!

Peter also spoke in tongues!! Do you and the Catholic Church believe in that??

Peter clearly preached water baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost, speaking in tongues, for one to receive salvation.

If you're going to make such wild claims about Peter being the first pope, then you need to stick with his teachings!!

Old 04-10-2014, 11:04 PM

64,066 posts, read 40,345,816 times
Quote:
::Sigh:: As I thought . . . the "precepts and doctrines of men" we were warned about by Jesus. Try getting in touch with the Holy Spirit (Comforter) and query your heart for the real answers. Christ abides with us, Gabriel . . . we do not need the Church to teach us the truth under the New Covenant.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
::Sigh:: As I thought . . . the "precepts and doctrines of men" we were warned about by Jesus. Try getting in touch with the Holy Spirit (Comforter) and query your heart for the real answers. Christ abides with us, Gabriel . . . we do not need the Church to teach us the truth under the New Covenant.
Catholics and Protestants agree that the Bible is the unerring word of God. Where we differ is where the burden of interpretation lies. Protestants follow Martin Luther’s feeling that an individual can interpret the Bible perfectly if they pray first. Catholics agree that the Holy Spirit guides our Bible reading and illuminates our understanding. I have an increased understanding, as well.

However, I'm not sure that every time someone picks up a Bible, prays, and starts reading, that they are surrounded by the Holy Spirit, even if they are sincere. For example, Martin Luther, decided that the Book of James didn't belong in the Bible. That's a problem, because here is a guy prayerfully reading the Bible, who decided parts of it didn't belong there, yet he said the Bible was the unerring word of God. This seems kind of cyclical to me. In the preface to his Bible, Martin Luther said:

"the St. James' Epistle is really an epistle of straw ... for it has nothing of the nature of the Gospel about it."

About the Book of Revelation, Luther said: "I miss more than one thing in this book, and this makes me hold it to be neither apostolic nor prophetic.. . . and can nohow detect that the Holy Spirit produced it . . . there are many far better books for us to keep."

So even for Martin Luther, Scripture alone was not enough, he acknowledged that there needed to be human authority governing it, he just thought that the authority should be him, rather than the Catholic Church.

Scripture says "And the Word became Flesh" (Jn1:1) It doesn't say "and the Word became a book." God became Flesh, He instituted and commissioned his Church. Later He inspired members of his Church to write, then He inspired members of the Church to discern which books to include in the Bible, and He inspired his Church to interpret it. This is what Catholics believe, and that is what all Christians believed for the first 1500 years of Christianity.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:38 PM

439 posts, read 428,261 times
Quote:
Scripture says "And the Word became Flesh" (Jn1:1) It doesn't say "and the Word became a book." God became Flesh, He instituted and commissioned his Church. Later He inspired members of his Church to write, then He inspired members of the Church to discern which books to include in the Bible, and He inspired his Church to interpret it. This is what Catholics believe, and that is what all Christians believed for the first 1500 years of Christianity.
Even though you haven't replied to my last post... Are you now saying you believe "and the word was made flesh" is speaking about the church? Oh... I really hope not!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity