Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 12:44 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,026,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathizer View Post
Hmm... This seems inherently contradictory to me. Interpretation is subjective, so if there is only one path, how can it be found via interpretation?

Perception of god is also subjective, so wouldn't knowing what's godly and not also be individually variable?
Do you consider yourself to be a Christian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 12:47 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,290,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
John 14:6

Not a way, a possible way, or an option, but he said "the" way
The guy who wrote that was wrong.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:24 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,972,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
You may be struggling with taking a step onto your path but Jesus teachings of love and with the guidance of the Holy Spirit and what is written in your heart will eventually bring you the peace you are seeking.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:38 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,026,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
The guy who wrote that was wrong.
Because you were there right?

Tell us what was said then.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:45 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,442,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
Lisa, first let me say I mean no offense by my first words. But, see, I don't understand your reaction to finding the truth [others have said pretty much what you're saying too]. What do I mean by that? I too discovered the truth about the tithe and, and the Pentecostal teachings. Did I get upset? No, I was very thankful to know the truth.

Did I feel like I had been lied to? Yes, by men, but not by God. Also I didn't blame God for it; He's the one who said, "You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free."
Mshipmate, I understand your point, really. And I'm also now glad to know the truth about the things I had been taught. But if you've been indoctrinated all your life (or for a good chunk of it) with the doctrines of your religion and you suddenly realize it was all a lie, it can be difficult at first to separate God from those doctrines in your own mind. It can be intense having the rug pulled out from under you like that. There's a mourning process that some of us have to go through. Fear, anger, confusion, a desire to protect oneself from being duped again ... I'm sure those aren't abnormal responses.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:53 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,290,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Because you were there right?

Tell us what was said then.
Christ said "I am one of the ways to the Creator's house."

But, as you can plainly see - he was misquoted by the anonymous scribe. But let's give the poor ******* a break. It's tough being accurate when you're scribbling on parchment with a feather. And it's quite possible that Christ mumbled, or had a lisp - making errors in transcription completely understandable.

Glad I could help.

ETA: Apparently, sch-muck is a no-no word on CD.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:08 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,484,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathizer View Post
I won't intentionally denigrate believers, but will denigrate what seems like stupidity.
Thank you. Keep in mind however that stupidity can also be in the mind of the beholder and ........he can be wrong. Just sayin.

Quote:
I do know the last passages were written about 2K BP. And I also know that it wasn't originally written in English. Consequently, literal interpretation the bible does seem ridiculous.
OK, what is 2K BP???

Now as to a a literal interpretation, two points.

1. The Bible is not totally literal, and the context helps us see when it is and when it isn't.
2. The Bible can interpret itself, it is men who make a mess of it.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:39 PM

9,703 posts, read 10,071,699 times
Christianity is the only way to God ..... Faith in God is always hard but is a lot better than wasting your time on other belief systems that will not have God but will only give you a legalism to rules with will lead you nowhere ................ One way to get God attention is to pray for others and or help other to Jesus , as Jesus helps those who helps others ............... Some people have said God helps those who helps them selves , but it is more for helping others ...............See Heaven is agape selfless charity as God will bless the unblessable people , so God is looking for people who will help others ................Like people can pay tithes till the cows come home and never get ahead in the world , but if you help others along then God will move you forward and you would be in the program of God interest and not selfish looking to be the only one blessed which would be a pride

Last edited by hljc; 04-10-2014 at 03:48 PM..

Old 04-10-2014, 03:45 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,110,289 times
Ask yourself why you "want" to believe if you really don't.

I finally, after decades, had the nerve to ask that question of myself, and for me, the answer was that 1. I was terrified that hell might exist and 2. I couldn't bear the thought of nothing after death.

Once I realized these motivations, my fears, which I'd been hiding from myself, suddenly weren't as huge after all. I really think you should ask yourself why you want to believe. I think it is important.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:53 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,484,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Ask yourself why you "want" to believe if you really don't.

I finally, after decades, had the nerve to ask that question of myself, and for me, the answer was that 1. I was terrified that hell might exist and 2. I couldn't bear the thought of nothing after death.

Once I realized these motivations, my fears, which I'd been hiding from myself, suddenly weren't as huge after all. I really think you should ask yourself why you want to believe. I think it is important.
But those questions should have nothing to with knowing, loving or believing God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity