Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 01:17 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,020,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
As far as I can tell, almost if not all such are responses to claims of authority BY Catholics. Maybe your question should be "Why do Catholics claimt to be the "right" church all the time instead of talking about how the Church helps them in following Christ?"
Yes, I agree. I would have the same reaction if any denomination came on here and said, you must become a __________(Assembly of God), (Baptist), (Jehovah's Witness), etc....

There has been a fair increase in Catholic propaganda and proselytizing in the past year as far as I can tell and it has not gone without notice and comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 01:20 PM

1,030 posts, read 841,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Well, vindicate the Catholic pov here. Equating praying to saints to necromancy may be the stupidest thing I have seen yet.
I don't agree. I think the followers of Rome who commit necromancy in violation of scripture is the stupidest thing I have seen yet. But I have an open mind just in case something even more stupid comes up.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I ask you:

Do you believe in heaven?

Do you believe the Mother of God, the Virgin Mary is in heaven?
Julian, I might have you confused with another Catholic on here - please correct me if I do, but didn't you say many times that, while you are Catholic, you don't believe in any afterlife? I may have you confused with another Catholic, if so, sorry about that.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:36 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,346,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Julian, I might have you confused with another Catholic on here - please correct me if I do, but didn't you say many times that, while you are Catholic, you don't believe in any afterlife? I may have you confused with another Catholic, if so, sorry about that.

I believe the afterlife is an unknown. It would be arrogant from my part to pretend i know.

This discussion is withing the context of Christianity.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:12 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
I believe the afterlife is an unknown. It would be arrogant from my part to pretend i know.

So why do you assume ANYONE is there and pray to them?

Old 05-07-2014, 03:13 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
See bold:
Luke 23:39-43

English Standard Version (ESV)

39 One of the criminals who were hanged railed at him,[a] saying, “Are you not the Christ? Save yourself and us!” 40 But the other rebuked him, saying, “Do you not fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? 41 And we indeed justly, for we are receiving the due reward of our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong.” 42 And he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.” 43 And he said to him, “Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise.”

I don't pray to the virgin, but i admire those that do.

If Mary cannot hear, I am certain God can hear the prayers to Mary and that is good enough. God can hear everything!
that has nothing to do with praying to the dead. Try again, please.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
So why do you assume ANYONE is there and pray to them?
Because I hope there is an afterlife.

I do not need to be 100% certain to be a Christian. The message of christ alone is good enough. I don't expect anything in return. However, if there is a heaven i will take it.

Religion is not an exact science.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
that has nothing to do with praying to the dead. Try again, please.
Mary is alive!

She is heaven and she knows the thief that was next to jesus in the cross.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:

Julian,
Thank you for answering. I don't fault you for not claiming CERTAINTY. In fact, it's quite a rare thing to find a Christian who is willing to admit that they are not CERTAIN about everything. Yet isn't this the reason we need to have faith (and hope) because we are not CERTAIN of the mysteries hidden from us. So I commend you and I appreciate that you were not offended by my question.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:20 PM

1,030 posts, read 841,010 times
Quote:

Quote:
Because I hope there is an afterlife.

I do not need to be 100% certain to be a Christian. The message of christ alone is good enough. I don't expect anything in return. However, if there is a heaven i will take it.

Religion is not an exact science.
Quote:
Mary is alive!

She is heaven and she knows the thief that was next to jesus in the cross.
Now excuse me for pointing out the obvious! How can you claim for a fact that Mary is alive and in heaven if you also claim you think it would be arrogant to "pretend i know" concerning the afterlife? Do you not see your contradiction here?

I would also point out you claim you cannot know that which scripture clearly states and then you claim to know for a fact something that scripture does not even mention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity