Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 01:27 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times

Advertisements

Latin, veneratus, past participle of venerari - "to reverence, or worship."

See Venus, the goddess of love and beauty, exciting desire?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 01:38 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Why are you referring to her as the Virgin. She was married and had LOTS of sex with her husband Joseph. LOTS AND LOTS OF SEX...She was married and had more kids. She was not a virgin.
The obsession with sex, by many fundamentalists, never fails to amaze.

I can't say I've given much thought to the sex life of ANY person in the Bible.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:00 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The obsession with sex, by many fundamentalists, never fails to amaze.

I can't say I've given much thought to the sex life of ANY person in the Bible.
Yes, the obsession with sex is so obvious.

I did wonder how Solomon managed all those wives and concubines. Was there someone in the palace who managed a schedule?

Old 05-10-2014, 02:33 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
Why are you referring to her as the Virgin. She was married and had LOTS of sex with her husband Joseph. LOTS AND LOTS OF SEX...She was married and had more kids. She was not a virgin.
This is an unknown. However, from a theological point of view the mother of Jesus should be pristine and a virgin. An average slutty woman as the mother of Jesus makes no sense to me.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:12 PM

1,030 posts, read 840,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
This is an unknown. However, from a theological point of view the mother of Jesus should be pristine and a virgin. An average slutty woman as the mother of Jesus makes no sense to me.
Why do you think wives and mothers are slutty women? This is very demeaning to women. Does the religion you bow to teach you that wives are sl*ut's for having sex with their husbands?

Old 05-10-2014, 03:16 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,336,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightly Divided View Post
Why do you think wives and mothers are slutty women? This is very demeaning to women. Does the religion you bow to teach you that wives are sl*ut's for having sex with their husbands?
I used the term because some Sola Scriptura folks (not you) love to denigrate the Mother of God.

From a theological point of view the Mother of God has to be a virgin.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:56 PM

368 posts, read 391,325 times
Quote:
There is absolutely nothing in Scripture to support this vile product of a smug and smutty imagination. On the other hand, there is Scripture to contradict it. How do you reconcile the idea that Jesus was just one of a whole bunch of kids with the prophecy regarding Jesus found in Zechariah 12:10:

"And I will pour out on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of compassion and supplication, so that, when they look on him whom they have pierced, they shall mourn for him, as one mourns for an only child, and weep bitterly over him, as one weeps over a first-born."

John 19:37 refers this verse to Jesus. John says that he and Jesus' mother were there at the cross, along with Mary of Clopas and Mary Magdalene. We know that Jesus was a first-born, and no one mourns or weeps over the death of a first-born as much as his mother. Why, then, do you want to ignore the rest of the prophesy?

Old 05-10-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I used the term because some Sola Scriptura folks (not you) love to denigrate the Mother of God.

From a theological point of view the Mother of God has to be a virgin.
Mary the mother of Jesus was a virgin until after Jesus was born and she and Joseph had sex. That is scripture plain and simple.

To claim that the God ordained institution of marriage and the God ordained and created sex life of the married is wrong is not of God and signs of a cult teaching.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:07 PM

368 posts, read 391,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightly Divided View Post
she and Joseph had sex. That is scripture plain and simple.
No, it is not Scripture at all. To claim it is scripture is an absolute falsehood. To repeat this fase claim over and over again is to attempt to add one's own additions to the Bible, and to bear false witness against the inspired word of God Himself.

While such attempts to add new words to the plain text of scripture may be acceptable in some self-aggrandizing cults, it is not accepted by faithful and orthodox Christians.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:20 PM

Matthew 1:25
New International Version (NIV)
25 But he did not consummate their marriage until she gave birth to a son.

Case Closed! Mary and Joseph had sex after Jesus was born.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity