Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 08:42 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Hope no other Christians leaders believe that
I do and believe they are doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 08:45 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
In the following video of a dialogue between Robert Schuller and Billy Graham, Rev. Graham admits that Muslims and Buddhists go to Heaven too. What made Rev. Graham change his beliefs??

Graham has been listening to Pope Francis.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:41 PM

1,146 posts, read 649,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
What a load of hooey.
You hooify that which you do not understand, fishMan. Case in point is your choice of generic utterance. Since you made no specific reference, I presume you were searching for and failing to find a handle on the implications of my statement.

Which leads me to redirect my remarks to my original post. Which part do you consider hooey and why? My guess is that you don't even understand what I wrote. I could be wrong. Enlighten me, pilgrim.

and that's just me, hollering from the choir loft....

PS
As a clue, my reference to scientific proofs of the existence of God are those evident in the observable red shift of galactic body movement as well as the CMB (cosmic microwave background radiation) measured at 160.2 GHz. Further, atheistic mathematicians objections (Stephen Hawkins, et al.) are based upon incoherent unobservable babblings such as string theory (a one dimensional construct). The basis for their calculations are emotional reactions to theists rather than dispassionate 'observation' of the known universe, which USED TO BE CALLED 'the scientific method'. This is why I made reference to a new dark age. Emotional reactionary speculation has replaced dispassionate observable fact.

Instead they invent their own to fit their calculations WHICH DO NOT CONFORM to the known universe - in other words they invent their own godless universe(s). God is not there simply because it was invented in their own mind. It's rather like arguing that there is no such thing as Friday on a Monday morning - fiction, stuff and nonsense.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:34 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I listened to it just now.

He says that these Buddhists and others can be saved when they are called out of that religion. this is true. God calls us out of any place we are in, of course, we are no longer buddhists or whatever but we have been called out, to the new life in Christ.

he is speculating about some people having an inner sense of Jesus even though they might not know the name "Jesus". I really dont know about that. I do know that you must be saved ONLY thru Jesus because Jesus said "I AM THE Way" (not just "a way" or "one of many kinds of ways).

I have heard the stories (i cannot verify if they are true but they are intersting to think about - stories of Muslims in Asia and Middle East who have visions of Jesus telling them that they need to come out of that religion and follow Him. some of the muslims were very radical, and when they get the vision, they are changed and now willing to suffer and die for Jesus. So i cannot say if this IS God, but it could be possible that God is reaching them, because that is what they need. I do not believe all these american preachers who have these signs and wonders allegedly saying its of God. I think some of that is malarkey, but perhaps the Muslim in the middle East needs that to be saved. I dont know, its just a thought. I cant prove if it is of God or not, but for them to make taht much of a change, it is possible.

I have no idea how God reaches some people in remote places, where a person has never phyiscally brought the gospel, but i think God knows how to message them in some way, i dont know, but it is possible. again i cannot speculate, only guess.

but if he meant that a buddhist can be saved and still remain a buddist, that would be WRONG.
Finn_Jarber made a point earlier to which I agree.

Two things seem clear to me in scripture:

"For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior; Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth" --1 Timothy 2

"The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance" -- 2 Peter 3

One is that God is biased toward salvation. God is not impartial on the subject, uncaring whether a man is saved or not, but sincerely wants every person to be saved. He is not equally balanced so that one has a fifty-fifty chance of going either way, but tilted toward salvation so that one has to purposefully run away from Him in order to miss it.

And should I not have concern for the great city of Nineveh, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty thousand people who cannot tell their right hand from their left. -- Jonah 4

The servant who knows the master's will and does not get ready or does not do what the master wants will be beaten with many blows. -- Luke 12

Jesus said, "If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin; but now that you claim you can see, your guilt remains. -- John 9

Two is that--correlating with point One--God takes ignorance into consideration in His judgment. To what extent, I don't know, nor do I need to know--I should not know a person who I've left ignorant of God, so it's not relevant to me how He judges the ignorant.

With regard to infants who die, the point is not that they are perfectly innocent, the point is that they are perfectly ignorant.

The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. -- Romans 1

What leaves them without excuse is their knowledge. They are condemnable by what they knew and how they responded to what they knew, not their ignorance.

We have heard how the Lord dried up the water of the Red Sea for you when you came out of Egypt, and what you did to Sihon and Og, the two kings of the Amorites east of the Jordan, whom you completely destroyed. When we heard of it, our hearts melted in fear and everyone’s courage failed because of you, for the Lord your God is God in heaven above and on the earth below.

Now then, please swear to me by the Lord that you will show kindness to my family, because I have shown kindness to you. Give me a sure sign that you will spare the lives of my father and mother, my brothers and sisters, and all who belong to them—and that you will save us from death.”
-- Joshua 2

Again, condemned by how they responded to what they knew, not by what they didn't know. But how can one respond?

Speaking to pagans, Paul said:

People of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: to an unknown god. So you are ignorant of the very thing you worship—and this is what I am going to proclaim to you.

The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by human hands. And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything. Rather, he himself gives everyone life and breath and everything else.

From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands. God did this so that they would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from any one of us. ‘For in him we live and move and have our being.’ As some of your own poets have said, ‘We are his offspring.’
-- Acts 17

So it's possible to be ignorant of exactly who God by name--and yet God has made it possible to "seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him."

Job is a man who worshiped God in ignorance, which is much of what the book is about. He had no gospel of John or even a Mosaic Law. He was doing stuff he thought should be proper, making sacrifices "just in case."

Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have a covenant, do by nature things required by a covenant, they are a covenant for themselves, even though they do not have a covenant. -- Romans 2

Job was a man with an individual covenant with God.

If only there were someone to mediate between us, someone to bring us together, someone to remove God’s rod from me, so that his terror would frighten me no more
. -- Job 9

Job did not know the name of Jesus, but he knew he needed a mediator between him and God.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:17 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post
You hooify that which you do not understand, fishMan. Case in point is your choice of generic utterance. Since you made no specific reference, I presume you were searching for and failing to find a handle on the implications of my statement.

Which leads me to redirect my remarks to my original post. Which part do you consider hooey and why? My guess is that you don't even understand what I wrote. I could be wrong. Enlighten me, pilgrim.

and that's just me, hollering from the choir loft....

PS
As a clue, my reference to scientific proofs of the existence of God are those evident in the observable red shift of galactic body movement as well as the CMB (cosmic microwave background radiation) measured at 160.2 GHz. Further, atheistic mathematicians objections (Stephen Hawkins, et al.) are based upon incoherent unobservable babblings such as string theory (a one dimensional construct). The basis for their calculations are emotional reactions to theists rather than dispassionate 'observation' of the known universe, which USED TO BE CALLED 'the scientific method'. This is why I made reference to a new dark age. Emotional reactionary speculation has replaced dispassionate observable fact.

Instead they invent their own to fit their calculations WHICH DO NOT CONFORM to the known universe - in other words they invent their own godless universe(s). God is not there simply because it was invented in their own mind. It's rather like arguing that there is no such thing as Friday on a Monday morning - fiction, stuff and nonsense.
More hooey - but with a soupcon of sciency-sounding stuff.

That's just me, speaking softly from reality.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP52462 View Post
Everyone born into this world is born under the curse of Adam. When Adam sinned the whole human race was cursed by God and every one born after him was born into sin. They don't have to commit sin, just being born as a human in itself is sin. But God has a made a way out of the curse. The way out is to put the curse and all our sins on the death of Jesus Christ.. The price that was paid for our sins is the blood spilled on the cross. This blood negates the original curse and all our past and future sins. How can one death be enough to pay for everyone sins? Because the blood that was spilled was so valuable as it was the blood of God himself spilled for us. The meaning of this is : I know that mankind sinned against me and the punishment is the curse I put on them but I love this creature that I created so much that I myself will take on the punishment I cursed them with as to set them free from my own curse. All he asks of us is to by faith believe in your heart that this is true. You don't have to be superman, just have to believe.. This is what the bible teaches, not my words.. Once you believe this to be a true fact is the day you are saved and born again..This in a nut shell is Christianity.. This is the starting point of being converted to a Christian. From this point on you become a spiritual child of God and he will lead you..
You have obviously read the book 101 on christian doctrine, written by men and believed by most christians.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Everyone born into this world is born under the curse of Adam. When Adam sinned the whole human race was cursed by God and every one born after him was born into sin. They don't have to commit sin, just being born as a human in itself is sin. But God has a made a way out of the curse. The way out is to put the curse and all our sins on the death of Jesus Christ.. The price that was paid for our sins is the blood spilled on the cross. This blood negates the original curse and all our past and future sins. How can one death be enough to pay for everyone sins? Because the blood that was spilled was so valuable as it was the blood of God himself spilled for us. The meaning of this is : I know that mankind sinned against me and the punishment is the curse I put on them but I love this creature that I created so much that I myself will take on the punishment I cursed them with as to set them free from my own curse. All he asks of us is to by faith believe in your heart that this is true. You don't have to be superman, just have to believe.. This is what the bible teaches, not my words.. Once you believe this to be a true fact is the day you are saved and born again..This in a nut shell is Christianity.. This is the starting point of being converted to a Christian. From this point on you become a spiritual child of God and he will lead you..
Actually, this is the starting point of letting go of reality and embracing a belief system that rewards unquestioning credulity and punishes those who question.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:58 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Actually, this is the starting point of letting go of reality and embracing a belief system that rewards unquestioning credulity and punishes those who question.
True, Trout . . . but there is no reasoning with unreasoning credulity . . . so there is little point in trying. It is the lurkers alone who might benefit from any attempt to do so.

Old 08-02-2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
True, Trout . . . but there is no reasoning with unreasoning credulity . . . so there is little point in trying. It is the lurkers alone who might benefit from any attempt to do so.
It's for them I keep banging my drum.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
You have a better theory? Lets hear it..
And all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself by Jesus Christ and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation,
to wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto Himself, NOT imputing their trespasses unto them, and hath committed unto us the Word of reconciliation.
Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were beseeching you by us: we pray you on Christ’s stead, be ye reconciled to God.

Go tell the people God is not mad at you and hating upon you nor holding your sin against you.

Reconciliation is done the world just needs to know it, not the dross that God is against them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity