Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 03:56 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,216,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Can you locate an innocent 25 year old person? I've never met one.
Ever met a person with Down Syndrome?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 06:58 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,213,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Can you locate an innocent 25 year old person? I've never met one.
I can. He's a much-loved young man who suffered a traumatic brain injury when he was still in diapers.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:12 PM

My first wife, my mother, two of my sisters and two of my best friends all worked at group homes for folks with Down. Some had been abandoned by their families when young, most were placed there when at-home caregivers died and no one else would take them.

So, every Thanksgiving/Easter/Christmas/Ukrainian Christmas and other special occasions, we would have one or two of the clients at our houses.

I've never met people who enjoyed life more. I'm so grateful to them for teaching me so many valuable lessons.

Most died in their 20s or early 30s but some reached 40+. All were innocent as children.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:34 PM

950 posts, read 694,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
My first wife, my mother, two of my sisters and two of my best friends all worked at group homes for folks with Down. Some had been abandoned by their families when young, most were placed there when at-home caregivers died and no one else would take them.

So, every Thanksgiving/Easter/Christmas/Ukrainian Christmas and other special occasions, we would have one or two of the clients at our houses.

I've never met people who enjoyed life more. I'm so grateful to them for teaching me so many valuable lessons.

Most died in their 20s or early 30s but some reached 40+. All were innocent as children.
Bless your heart, Trout, and you're of course correct about their innocence, and so also is Dewdrop mentioning about the young man with traumatic brain injury. Even though they were Not Christians, they still went to Heaven.

While I'm at it, let me tell you about a pastor I spoke with. I mentioned to him about a high school girl who was brutally raped, which then made her commit suicide. The pastor replied that the girl had already reached the age of accountability so that suicide made her soul wind up in the Lake of Hellfire. I could hardly believe my ears, but that's what the pastor said. I don't know how you would have reacted, but it really disturbed me. With all due respect to the pastor, he had prayed for me, which I appreciate. So I feel somewhat hesitant about posting what he said about the suicide, but since this is a forum for getting things off our chests, I still had to post this. When something disturbs me as much as the pastor's statement, it's therapeutic for me to post this. I still respect and even love that pastor, but, honestly, what he said about that rape-suicide really disturbed me.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:55 PM

63,891 posts, read 40,164,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
While I'm at it, let me tell you about a pastor I spoke with. I mentioned to him about a high school girl who was brutally raped, which then made her commit suicide. The pastor replied that the girl had already reached the age of accountability so that suicide made her soul wind up in the Lake of Hellfire. I could hardly believe my ears, but that's what the pastor said. I don't know how you would have reacted, but it really disturbed me. With all due respect to the pastor, he had prayed for me, which I appreciate. So I feel somewhat hesitant about posting what he said about the suicide, but since this is a forum for getting things off our chests, I still had to post this. When something disturbs me as much as the pastor's statement, it's therapeutic for me to post this. I still respect and even love that pastor, but, honestly, what he said about that rape-suicide really disturbed me.
There are far too many Pastors who teach a corrupt doctrine of hellfire and an egomaniacal hateful God. They are focused on all the wrong things . . . thinking that believing the right things about Christ and God are paramount for a Christian. It could not be further from the truth. Following Christ's instructions to His Disciples to "love God and each other" daily and repent when we don't is the paramount thing for Christians to do. God IS agape love and we are to produce as much of it in our lives as possible . . . 100 fold, 60 fold or 30 fold. THAT is how we follow Christ and are sanctified under His love for us all. The less agape love in your life . . . the less cover for your imperfections under Christ's grace.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:56 PM

950 posts, read 694,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There are far too many Pastors who teach a corrupt doctrine of hellfire and an egomaniacal hateful God. They are focused on all the wrong things . . . thinking that believing the right things about Christ and God are paramount for a Christian. It could not be further from the truth. Following Christ's instructions to His Disciples to "love God and each other" daily and repent when we don't is the paramount thing for Christians to do. God IS agape love and we are to produce as much of it in our lives as possible . . . 100 fold, 60 fold or 30 fold. THAT is how we follow Christ and are sanctified under His love for us all. The less agape love in your life . . . the less cover for your imperfections under Christ's grace.
In that case, do I conclude that you believe that suicides go to Heaven?

Old 07-26-2014, 03:10 PM

63,891 posts, read 40,164,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Quote:
In that case, do I conclude that you believe that suicides go to Heaven?
Ask yourself, Monastic. If your child was so desperately hurting and pained that he ended his own life . . . if you could would you punish him with more pain and hurt?????

Old 08-01-2014, 09:33 PM

1,146 posts, read 650,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
- I once heard Billy Graham say on TV that he would like to Evangelize other Planets!
I bout fell on the floor. I always wondered what he meant by that. As he did not explain that comment.
Graham appears to have lost, if not his mind, then his continuity of ideology. In a much earlier year, during one of his spoken crusades, Graham stated that the Bible indicates Planet Earth was the only planet in rebellion against the Most High....the only place in the universe where sinners live.

Personally, I think there's something to that earlier statement. The Bible does indeed seem to suggest exactly that. As far as evangelizing other planets, such abodes must first be discovered. So far, none has. Further, a method for traveling to those distant places must be devised. So far, none has.

We live in a new age. A time where dispassionate science has died from the land, replaced by a new dark age. It is an age not of logic and proof but of conjecture and foolishness accepted as fact - of doubt expressed as laws of nature - as hatred masquerading as love. Disbelievers and scoffers stand upon the crumbling walls of civilization and shake their collective fist at a god they claim does not exist. If ever there were an act of hypocrisy, this is it.

Yet despite the adamant emotional denials of those who hate the very thought of God, there are scientific proofs for His existence, His works and His laws. Even cultures of those who may dwell in distant reaches of interstellar space would recognize these truths. On earth, though, fools and sinners rule......for now.

and that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...

Old 08-01-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post
Graham appears to have lost, if not his mind, then his continuity of ideology. In a much earlier year, during one of his spoken crusades, Graham stated that the Bible indicates Planet Earth was the only planet in rebellion against the Most High....the only place in the universe where sinners live.

Personally, I think there's something to that earlier statement. The Bible does indeed seem to suggest exactly that. As far as evangelizing other planets, such abodes must first be discovered. So far, none has. Further, a method for traveling to those distant places must be devised. So far, none has.

We live in a new age. A time where dispassionate science has died from the land, replaced by a new dark age. It is an age not of logic and proof but of conjecture and foolishness accepted as fact - of doubt expressed as laws of nature - as hatred masquerading as love. Disbelievers and scoffers stand upon the crumbling walls of civilization and shake their collective fist at a god they claim does not exist. If ever there were an act of hypocrisy, this is it.

Yet despite the adamant emotional denials of those who hate the very thought of God, there are scientific proofs for His existence, His works and His laws. Even cultures of those who may dwell in distant reaches of interstellar space would recognize these truths. On earth, though, fools and sinners rule......for now.

and that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...
What a load of hooey.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:16 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,608,571 times
Quote:
Bless your heart, Trout, and you're of course correct about their innocence, and so also is Dewdrop mentioning about the young man with traumatic brain injury. Even though they were Not Christians, they still went to Heaven.

there are many aspects to God, and some are far beyond our puny human comprehension, but I imagine He has compassion far beyond what we can comprehend.

In this case, I think compassion would not send that person to hell.

Remember Jesus on the earth constantly harped on the Pharasees who put the letter of the law above the spirit of the law.

Jesus was very holy - you better believe he did not allow sin

but, he always allowed compassion over rules and regulations.

he wont excuse sin, but yet, He used compassion a lot.

he even forgave that woman caught in adultery when she should have been pummedled with stones and ought to have been sentenced to death, right there, but what did He do? he did not throw any rocks at her. He let her escape death. Does that give you a clue? Maybe you can apply that to your real person there.

I think your friend is in heaven. Not in hell just for suicide in her case.

I think God judges on a case by case basis in situations like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity