Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 02:53 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,283,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
Abraham's righteousness was in his works because he did what God told him to do.
This is completely contrary to what the bible teaches. I think the interpretation that's flawed is yours, not Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 02:56 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,502,937 times
John 6:27-28
"Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For on him God the Father has placed his seal of approval.”

Then they asked him, “What must we do to do the works God requires?”
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
what was Jesus' answer?
  • Matthew 5:16 ?? .... nope
  • John 10:32 ?? ....... nope
Jesus' answer in John 6:29, was it these or sounded something like :
"He who acts in truth comes to the light so his deeds are revealed as works of God." ..... nope

"All those who do good to the resurrection of life." .... nope

"The man who believes in me shall do the works I do" .... nope

"The words I speak are not my own it is the Father who lives in me performing His works." ....... nope

Jesus said; Follow me. He said ; "He who hears you hears me." Why? Because the words are suppose to be His words. That is why he said; "As the Father sent me so I send you." .... nope

So what is the will of the Father ??
"Not everyone who cries to me Lord, Lord shall enter the kingdom of heaven but only those who do the will of my heavenly Father."
So what is the will of God... the "food that endures to eternal life" ??

answer: John 6:29

Old 05-18-2014, 03:28 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,788,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
"Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For on him God the Father has placed his seal of approval.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
what was Jesus' answer?
"He who acts in truth comes to the light so his deeds are revealed as works of God." ..... nope

"The words I speak are not my own it is the Father who lives in me performing His works." ....... nope

Jesus said; Follow me. He said ; "He who hears you hears me." Why? Because the words are suppose to be His words. That is why he said; "As the Father sent me so I send you." .... nope

"Not everyone who cries to me Lord, Lord shall enter the kingdom of heaven but only those who do the will of my heavenly Father."

Very good, even though you misunderstand that to achieve the food that endures to eternal life is walking in the paths of the Lord as the son of man has commanded. All the scripture in the OP is in the paths of the son of man.

Walk in the ways of the son of man and you will be free.

If the son frees, you shall truly be free.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:31 PM

As it is written; My food is doing the will of my heavenly Father and bringing His work to completion.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:

what was Jesus' answer?

Quote:
Very good, even though you misunderstand that to achieve the food that endures to eternal life is walking in the paths of the Lord as the son of man has commanded. All the scripture in the OP is in the paths of the son of man.

Walk in the ways of the son of man and you will be free.

If the son frees, you shall truly be free.
There is not much to misunderstand in Jesus' answer in John 6:29
“The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.”

and for those who are including their works as part (or all) a requirement other than John 6:29 will not enter heaven, for they are rejecting the "wedding clothes" as Jesus taught it in a parable in Matthew 22:11-14

Old 05-18-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
There is not much to misunderstand in Jesus' answer in John 6:29
“The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.”

and for those who are including their works as part (or all) a requirement other than John 6:29 will not enter heaven, for they are rejecting the "wedding clothes" as Jesus taught it in a parable in Matthew 22:11-14
To believe is as Jesus said, to do the works He did. If you do the works He did you believe, if you don't do those works you, do not believe.

That is why ,"All those who do good to the resurrection of life"

The wedding clothes are the words for the works.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
To believe is as Jesus said, to do the works He did. If you do the works He did you believe, if you don't do those works you, do not believe.

That is why ,"All those who do good to the resurrection of life"
Hebrews 11:6
"And without faith it is impossible to please God, .. " ---- "those who do good" do so because of faith.

Quote:
The wedding clothes are the words for the works.
As long as you understand that it was customary in Jesus' day for the host to provide wedding clothes for the guests without cost. Thus the man that was not allowed in was rejecting the proper clothes (Jesus' works) provided by God and instead was attempting to enter in using his own clothes (works).

The message you're speaking is contrary to what Jesus said will occur to one who relies on their own "wedding clothes" in Matthew 22:11-14

Old 05-18-2014, 06:31 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,043,132 times
There are so many flaws in the OP....

First what Jesus and Paul both stated we are saved by Grace. Not works or the law, but of Faith alone. This does not mean works are not important, of course they are and anyone who says otherwise is dead spiritually (Faith without Works is Dead), but Works are not the way to obtain Salvation.

But.... Let's just pretend for the sake of argument that you are correct. What ''works'' are you referring to? Just good deeds in general? Or following the Law of Moses?

If the former than that would render God's love to be heresey. That would be like a parent telling their kids ''I only love you if you do these things''. Does that make sense? No, God's love is unconditional just like a parent's love for their children. If the latter, meaning Works of The Law of Moses, then you are trying to live an impossible life and doomed for failure. Many aspects of The Law are outdated and do not apply to our world today, if you are wearing mixed fabrics than you have already broken the law and have failed, if you have Children and they have ever sworn at you in their teenage years (and they ALL do) than you must put them to death, as commanded by the Law . You must make a sacrifice as you are denying that Jesus fulfilled The Law.

Grace saves, it's that simple. But works are still one of the Fundamentals of being a Christian, however it is not the road to salvation. That is the road to legalism.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:40 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,418,048 times
Quote:
Hebrews 11:6
"And without faith it is impossible to please God, .. " ---- "those who do good" do so because of faith.

As long as you understand that it was customary in Jesus' day for the host to provide wedding clothes for the guests without cost. Thus the man that was not allowed in was rejecting the proper clothes (Jesus' works) provided by God and instead was attempting to enter in using his own clothes (works).

The message you're speaking is contrary to what Jesus said will occur to one who relies on their own "wedding clothes" in Matthew 22:11-14
Nope,

Matthew 22: 11 “When the king came in to inspect the guests he caught sight there of a man not clothed with a marriage garment. 12 So he said to him, ‘Fellow, how did you get in here not having on a marriage garment?’ He was rendered speechless. 13 Then the king said to his servants, ‘Bind him hand and foot and throw him out into the darkness outside. There is where [his] weeping and the gnashing of [his] teeth will be.’

He had to have it on before he came in. It wasn't given to him when he wasn't there.

NIV Colossians 3:10 and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:42 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,418,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
There are so many flaws in the OP....

First what Jesus and Paul both stated we are saved by Grace. Not works or the law, but of Faith alone. This does not mean works are not important, of course they are and anyone who says otherwise is dead spiritually (Faith without Works is Dead), but Works are not the way to obtain Salvation.

But.... Let's just pretend for the sake of argument that you are correct. What ''works'' are you referring to? Just good deeds in general? Or following the Law of Moses?

If the former than that would render God's love to be heresey. That would be like a parent telling their kids ''I only love you if you do these things''. Does that make sense? No, God's love is unconditional just like a parent's love for their children. If the latter, meaning Works of The Law of Moses, then you are trying to live an impossible life and doomed for failure. Many aspects of The Law are outdated and do not apply to our world today, if you are wearing mixed fabrics than you have already broken the law and have failed, if you have Children and they have ever sworn at you in their teenage years (and they ALL do) than you must put them to death, as commanded by the Law . You must make a sacrifice as you are denying that Jesus fulfilled The Law.

Grace saves, it's that simple. But works are still one of the Fundamentals of being a Christian, however it is not the road to salvation. That is the road to legalism.
If you do not know what the works (Plural, not just one) that follow faith are, you are in trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity