Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2014, 12:41 PM

17,966 posts, read 16,010,341 times

Advertisements

The original word from which we get salvation is "salve." If one had an infection they would put salve on it to heal it. If it was healed it was because it was salved and hence received salv-ation.

Christ died to salve us from sin and death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 12:42 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,241,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
The original word from which we get salvation is "salve." If one had an infection they would put salve on it to heal it. If it was healed it was because it was salved and hence received salv-ation.

Christ died to salve us from sin and death.
You do realize that there are those that God hates, right? So your original point is moot. God does not love all.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
Since God is Love and love is this:

Love is patient, is kind. Love is not jealous. Love is not bragging, is not puffed up, is not indecent, is not
self-seeking, is not incensed, is not taking account of evil, is not rejoicing in injustice, yet is rejoicing
together with the truth, is forgoing all, is believing all, is expecting all, is enduring all." Love is never
lapsing: yet, whether prophecies, they will be discarded, or languages, they will cease, or knowledge, it
will be discarded." (1Co 13:4-8)

How can eternal torture be compatible with love? Since love never gives up on anyone and always seeks the highest for the person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by domenic View Post
Please tell me, what is this eternal torture you speak of?
It all depends upon which poor translation one uses. For instance here is the KJV:

Mat 25:46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Young's literal has it thus:
Mat 25:46 And these shall go away to punishment age-during, but the righteous to life age-during.'

Old 06-13-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You do realize that there are those that God hates, right? So your original point is moot. God does not love all.
You do realize God loves those he hates, right? So my original point is sound. God does love all.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:46 PM

63,998 posts, read 40,299,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Absolutely preposterous! God IS love. There is no place for hate in love. The anti-Christ (anti-love) apostate Christianity that is in the majority in these "latter days" (as prophesied) will fail. God WILL be all in all.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 06-13-2014 at 01:13 PM..

Old 06-13-2014, 01:03 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,433,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Context clues... you use context clues to determine the correct definition.

You going to tell me Eusebias was praying for RD's healing? Eusebias doesn't even say that... instead he wimped out and took your lead, and you didn't mention anything about healing.

Post 479 from Eusebias...

That's the context - not healing.
No, the context for my post was your response to Lego that, "Salvation is not healing. Are you kidding me?"

---------------------------

Quote:
Eusebias, Pleroo, Legoman - Don't look at me - you suggested praying from RD to be saved (from his sins), which to me is inconsistent with the outcome based religion you have been promoting.
No, I didn't suggest any such thing. As far as I'm concerned, RD's on the right track when he takes issue with worshiping the "god" of the OT that commanded horrendous acts be committed in his name. Further, RD doesn't think Jesus did anything to correct that perception of God. I don't agree with him, but as long as he doesn't, then he's following his conscience which abhors the thought of an evil "god" being worthy of his trust. Makes sense to me.

Quote:
So I am asking questions.

Why pray to be saved from sins, when you believe that will occur automatically at some point?
So, this is what it really comes down to for you. This SAME OLD STRAWMAN. Not a single UR that I know of believes salvation/healing from sin and it's consequences occurs "automatically", as in instantaneously or without a person's willful consent to the process.

Quote:
The wages of sin is death (separation from the source of life - God). Why is death the wage for sin?
As long as people continue to think that God is their enemy, they will believe they are separated from God.

Quote:
So define it. I am going on what you have stated in the past.
No, you aren't going by what I've said. I've never said I wasn't a follower of Christ. I've said I am not a Christian. In my mind, those two things are not equal, though I realize they are in yours. That's why I said that I am not a follower of Christ as you probably define it.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:04 PM

45,750 posts, read 27,380,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Absolutely preposterous! Gos IS love. There is no place for hate in love. The anti-Christ (anti-love) apostate Christianity that is in the majority in these "latter days" (as prophesied) will fail. God WILL be all in all.
Are you saying God hates no one? That He has no ability at all to hate?

Old 06-13-2014, 01:09 PM

45,750 posts, read 27,380,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
No, you aren't going by what I've said. I've never said I wasn't a follower of Christ. I've said I am not a Christian. In my mind, those two things are not equal, though I realize they are in yours. That's why I said that I am not a follower of Christ as you probably define it.
Again - I am asking you to clarify what you believe.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:13 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,433,597 times
Quote:
Again - I am asking you to clarify what you believe.
No, you're not asking, you're demanding, and for what purpose?

No response to anything in the rest of my post, I notice. No acknowledgment that your entire gambit in the past few pages of this thread is based around a tired old strawman argument.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:13 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,241,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Absolutely preposterous! Gos IS love. There is no place for hate in love. The anti-Christ (anti-love) apostate Christianity that is in the majority in these "latter days" (as prophesied) will fail. God WILL be all in all.
You do realize that God hated Esau, right? The Bible says it......err...wait.....you don't actually believe the Bible, do you? You'd rather just make up your own theology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity