Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2014, 02:31 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,993,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Hopefully you don't believe God is going to send His wrath upon our country because you now have to lock your car and people get divorced.
First of all where did I say God was going to send His wrath on our country? The question was in regards to moral decay. You claim to be Christian so tell me, what Scriptures states God is going to send His wrath on the USA?

Better yet, tell me what the Scriptures do say about God's wrath. Who, when, where, and why?

Matter of fact the entire world is in moral decay, and those who deny it are walking around with their heads in the sand, and say things such as, "Oh, but it will never happen here, not in this country!!This is the great US of America!!"

And it's ppl that say that, as to why, this once great country, is and has been allowed to fall into a down hill spiral. It's exactly why it could, and has happened because ppl don't pay attention or deny the truth, and/or refuse to see what's going on right in front of their eyes.

And BTW, I'm a 'the glass is 1/2 full' kind of person, but I'm also a realist and have my eyes wide open.

Last edited by mshipmate; 05-28-2014 at 02:56 PM..

Old 05-28-2014, 03:50 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,221,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post

Matter of fact the entire world is in moral decay, and those who deny it are walking around with their heads in the sand, and say things such as, "Oh, but it will never happen here, not in this country!!This is the great US of America!!"
Actually.....

I thought we were an immoral country when we denied Blacks the right to vote simply because of the color of their skin. I thought it was immoral when the Klan was lynching black men and bombing church basements. I thought we were an immoral country when we drafted 19-year olds and sent them to fight and die in an illegal war that made millions of dollars for Bell helicopter.

So there ya go. (I don't remember anyone proclaiming God was going to wipe out America when there were laws making Black men, who had jobs and were supporting their families and paying taxes, use "colored" bathrooms and their kids go to segregated, inferior schools. More things on my "immoral" list.)

Old 05-28-2014, 05:18 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,000,510 times
Quote:
That was my way of saying I'm optimistic by nature. Alas, I failed to fully employ the benefits of proper punctuation and sentence structure.

p.s. I use anecdotes because I like using anecdotes. Though, technically, those weren't anecdotes. An anecdote would be if I told a charming story about meeting Bristol and saying to her, "What an adorable baby! What are your thoughts on God wiping out America?" And she replied, "Mom wouldn't be pleased."
Out of everything I said, that is the only thing you wanted to speak on? I would honestly love to have a rational, level-headed, civil discussion with you, but I don't think you are interested in having that discussion.

I understand you like using anecdotes, but understand that anecdotes are just that, examples that do not in any way illustrate the point you are trying to make. You want to prove that society is not bad but the problem, who's standard are you basing it on, the Bible or your own?

Old 05-28-2014, 05:21 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,000,510 times
Quote:
Actually.....

I thought we were an immoral country when we denied Blacks the right to vote simply because of the color of their skin. I thought it was immoral when the Klan was lynching black men and bombing church basements. I thought we were an immoral country when we drafted 19-year olds and sent them to fight and die in an illegal war that made millions of dollars for Bell helicopter.

So there ya go. (I don't remember anyone proclaiming God was going to wipe out America when there were laws making Black men, who had jobs and were supporting their families and paying taxes, use "colored" bathrooms and their kids go to segregated, inferior schools. More things on my "immoral" list.)
The Bible is very clear as to the signs of fallen world. The things that you have listed are indeed bad, but there aren't other things that were going on collectively at that time that match what the Bible list as the signs that we should look out for. I think that is the problem. You are giving your personal opinion, but really it's the Biblical standard of what is fallen that really matters because no matter what if we inject our own personal opinion on how bad the world actually is then we will never agree.

Again I ask, for the 3rd time, do you believe what the Bible has prophesied about the signs of a fallen world?

Old 05-28-2014, 05:38 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,706,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
The Bible is very clear as to the signs of fallen world. The things that you have listed are indeed bad, but there aren't other things that were going on collectively at that time that match what the Bible list as the signs that we should look out for. I think that is the problem. You are giving your personal opinion, but really it's the Biblical standard of what is fallen that really matters because no matter what if we inject our own personal opinion on how bad the world actually is then we will never agree.

Again I ask, for the 3rd time, do you believe what the Bible has prophesied about the signs of a fallen world?
True, anyone can have an opinion about the treatment of blacks in the past, but their situation kept improving, going from horrible to better. Today we are seeing things going from good to bad, and that's why many people are alarmed.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:42 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,426,251 times
Quote:

Matt 24 and 2 Tim 3

Old 05-28-2014, 07:10 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,221,051 times
Quote:
Out of everything I said, that is the only thing you wanted to speak on?
Yep.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:40 PM

63,901 posts, read 40,178,831 times
Default America's Moral Collapse

Frankly . . . I don't see a moral collapse . . . just a moral adjustment toward a more agape loving standard of morality based in our state of mind . . . not behaviors. The basis of judgment is changing from rigid and absolute 1st century mandates to more nuanced understanding of the state of mind that is associated with true evil and sin. Instead of just absolute judgments about specific behaviors . . . we are also focused on the state of mind that is associated with the behavior. If you do not have an evil or unloving state of mind . . . you are not sinning. As Paul said .. . . it may not be edifying . . . but it is not sinning. This requires a change from an absolute focus on external behaviors . . . because they in themselves do NOT necessarily contain the evil or sin. The evil or sin is a combination of the state of mind and the behavior . . . with primary emphasis on the state of mind.

I realize that this is all very disturbing to those wedded to the absolute standards of a 1st century morality. But it is hardly moral collapse. There will ALWAYS be immoral people doing immoral things no matter what standards are involved. As population increases the more people there are . . . and the more immorality will occur. Our 24/7 news cycles and the ubiquity of communication media simply makes the instances more visible. I'm more of a glass is 3/4 full kind of guy.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:19 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,608,502 times
America is a country of the world. It is a super power no less.

The lie that America is a Christian nation, is an oxymoron. Would Christ put His name on a country that is steeped in war and genocide?

The fact that it is failing morally, should come as no surprise to a follower of Christ.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:50 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,426,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Frankly . . . I don't see a moral collapse . . . just a moral adjustment toward a more agape loving standard of morality based in our state of mind . . . not behaviors. The basis of judgment is changing from rigid and absolute 1st century mandates to more nuanced understanding of the state of mind that is associated with true evil and sin. Instead of just absolute judgments about specific behaviors . . . we are also focused on the state of mind that is associated with the behavior. If you do not have an evil or unloving state of mind . . . you are not sinning. As Paul said .. . . it may not be edifying . . . but it is not sinning. This requires a change from an absolute focus on external behaviors . . . because they in themselves do NOT necessarily contain the evil or sin. The evil or sin is a combination of the state of mind and the behavior . . . with primary emphasis on the state of mind.

I realize that this is all very disturbing to those wedded to the absolute standards of a 1st century morality. But it is hardly moral collapse. There will ALWAYS be immoral people doing immoral things no matter what standards are involved. As population increases the more people there are . . . and the more immorality will occur. Our 24/7 news cycles and the ubiquity of communication media simply makes the instances more visible. I'm more of a glass is 3/4 full kind of guy.
And this is why it is getting worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.