Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2007, 06:52 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,509,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ministers View Post
I'm sorry I lost my grandmother, so I have been pretty busy.
My condolescences on your lost
Quote:
I have been reading some of your responses and I can't believe people who are saying they are christians do not believe in Hell.
I believe in hell
Quote:
I created this thread out of my love for God and people. I do not want anyone to go to Hell but to accept the love of Christ and get saved.
So do I
Quote:
My goal is not to debate people back and forth but to preach the gospel to a lost and dying world.
No offense to you ministers but when you post on a message board you are going to get people who disagree with your intepretation of scripture. You should be prepared to present your interpretation with love and understand that not everyone accepts one particular interpretation. In other words,you have to be a little thick skinned on here sometimes..lol. Also, as you can tell by the response to your previous post,the right tone doesn`t always come across in the typed word. Sometimes you mean things a certain way but people take them differently. that has happened to me and I`m sure still does.
Quote:
I want people to know that no matter how bad you think you have screwed up, God grace and love is sufficient.
Quote:
I agree Just like Hell is real, so is Heaven and I want as many people to go there as possible.
I know what you are saying. But again,I believe God is in control of that. A person can preach until the cows come home but it`s up to God to open hearts and ears. A mere human cannot do that. We can`t get frustrated because it`s up to god who is greater than all. All my posts are created out of love, not self righteousness.
Quote:
I am a sinner saved by grace. God redeemed me, I take no credit. My sins were once as scarlet, now they are white as snow.
Praise God
Quote:
If I have offended any by coming off being self righteous, that was not my intent. I just wanted to make sure believers as well as unbelievers have a proper understanding. God Bless!!!
I`m not sure what you mean by proper understanding. Do you mean a proper understanding about why you post? That you want to help spread the gospel? But again, sorry for the loss of your grandmother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 07:19 PM

420 posts, read 1,238,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
My condolescences on your lost I believe in hell So do I No offense to you ministers but when you post on a message board you are going to get people who disagree with your intepretation of scripture. You should be prepared to present your interpretation with love and understand that not everyone accepts one particular interpretation. In other words,you have to be a little thick skinned on here sometimes..lol. Also, as you can tell by the response to your previous post,the right tone doesn`t always come across in the typed word. Sometimes you mean things a certain way but people take them differently. that has happened to me and I`m sure still does. I know what you are saying. But again,I believe God is in control of that. A person can preach until the cows come home but it`s up to God to open hearts and ears. A mere human cannot do that. We can`t get frustrated because it`s up to god who is greater than all. All my posts are created out of love, not self righteousness. Praise God
I`m not sure what you mean by proper understanding. Do you mean a proper understanding about why you post? That you want to help spread the gospel? But again, sorry for the loss of your grandmother.

Thank you, I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but I think us going back and forth with each other does not accomplish anything. I want people to read the word for themselves, and let God do the teaching. I enjoy talking to all of you. Our goal is to win the lost to Christ, not debate and argue with each other all day. I believe this is what is hindering the church. We are so busy arguing with each other that we are not saving the unsaved. I know it is up to God, but he uses us to preach the word. I believe when the church becomes unified, that is when we will see the glory of God, and millions will come to Christ.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:45 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,559,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ministers View Post
Thank you, I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but I think us going back and forth with each other does not accomplish anything. I want people to read the word for themselves, and let God do the teaching. I enjoy talking to all of you. Our goal is to win the lost to Christ, not debate and argue with each other all day. I believe this is what is hindering the church. We are so busy arguing with each other that we are not saving the unsaved. I know it is up to God, but he uses us to preach the word. I believe when the church becomes unified, that is when we will see the glory of God, and millions will come to Christ.
Minister, I know that you are very sincere in wanting to save all of us, but you don't understand that this is a discussion board about various beliefs, different religions athiesm, agnosticism..Some of us have learned from each other about getting along and have learned that even though our beliefs vary, we can respectfully disagree and still be friends..Most people here are very intelligent at understanding the scriptures, but they realize that others may interpret them differently.. and we mostly respect their intelligence and their faith..What is right for you may not be what another feels is right for him..Many of us here come to visit and fellowship with one another.. If you desire to be a preacher, I commend you and hope that you are successful in finding a ministry, but you have to understand that that is not the reason we are here..Most the posters here attend their own Churches to hear a sermon given by a person of their own faith..I think you will be a valuable poster here if you just relax and fellowship and not come across that we are all lost, because we don't believe in some of your beliefs

Old 12-15-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Minister, I know that you are very sincere in wanting to save all of us, but you don't understand that this is a discussion board about various beliefs, different religions athiesm, agnosticism..Some of us have learned from each other about getting along and have learned that even though our beliefs vary, we can respectfully disagree and still be friends..Most people here are very intelligent at understanding the scriptures, but they realize that others may interpret them differently.. and we mostly respect their intelligence and their faith..What is right for you may not be what another feels is right for him..Many of us here come to visit and fellowship with one another.. If you desire to be a preacher, I commend you and hope that you are successful in finding a ministry, but you have to understand that that is not the reason we are here..Most the posters here attend their own Churches to hear a sermon given by a person of their own faith..I think you will be a valuable poster here if you just relax and fellowship and not come across that we are all lost, because we don't believe in some of your beliefs
Well put. I believe by discussing different views it either helps open your eyes to something you did recogize before,maybe you just didn`t see it that way,but you see how it makes sense. Or, it can strengthen your current view. Either way,it helps in understanding. I know when I was younger,I just couldn`t understand how a person could not see it the way I did.It seemed so clear. Needless to say I`ve come to realize you can never change someone or should you feel it is your place to do so. All you can do is share what you believe and let God do the changing. Sometimes it has been me who changed. The bottom line is,you can`t get frustrated about something that is beyond your control to change. I like sharing my thoughts and hearing various other beliefs. But you are right blue when you say a person can`t come on here with their beliefs thinking they have it exactly right and everone else is in the dark because they don`t see it exactly like you do.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:08 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,909,759 times
Quote:
.....a person can`t come on here with their beliefs thinking they have it exactly right and everone else is in the dark because they don`t see it exactly like you do.
Sure you can, you just can't get upset when they choose to stay in the dark

Old 12-15-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Sure you can, you just can't get upset when they choose to stay in the dark
Well, I suppose you can but it wouldn`t do any good. Darkness flees from the light! That`s why I`m wearing my sunglasses! But one day the light ( Jesus Christ) will reign for a couple of aions or ages. After that we will all be wearing the glasses because we will all be in the light.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:17 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,909,759 times
Quote:
Well, I suppose you can but it wouldn`t do any good. Darkness flees from the light! That`s why I`m wearing my sunglasses! But one day the light ( Jesus Christ) will reign for a couple of aions or ages. After that we will all be wearing the glasses because we will all be in the light.
LOL. I hope you read what you wrote there.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:18 AM

14,921 posts, read 17,252,241 times
Quote:
I have been reading some of your responses and I can't believe people who are saying they are christians do not believe in Hell. Not all of you but some.
Hi Minsters, my prayers and thoughts are with you and your family in the loss of your grandmother. One of the reasons I share about my belief in the restoration of all to God is so that others might realize that this belief shared by many Christians today and since the early days of the church is not so outlandish or outrageous because many believe that it has a scriptural foundation just as many believe that everlasting hell or everlasting death have a scriptural foundation. I was raised to believe in everlasting hell and most people that I interact with believe in this but just because the majority believe in something doesn't make it necessarily true. Or just because many Bible translations have translated the words aion and aionios as eternity and eternal does mean that this is correct. There are many translations which don't translate the words this way. There are valid reasons for this and so I hope that by posting, this will help others to see why I believe the way that I do just as I read to see why others believe the way that they do. I don't believe that whether or not someone believes in everlasting hell is a matter of one's salvation or determines whether or not one is a Christian. Thanks and God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 12-16-2007 at 08:40 AM..

Old 12-16-2007, 07:27 AM

14,921 posts, read 17,252,241 times
Ministers, many Bible translations do translate the word aion as eternity and aionios as eternal. The KJV does. The only Bible that I had access to as a child did (KJV) and so I grew up believing in eternal hell. As I grew older and realized that scholars and translators did not agree on the meanings/translations of these words, I came to understand things differently and I believe with the help of God. Here are some various translations of 2 verses in the scriptures: Matthew 25:46 and Revelation 20:10, examples that many use to try to prove eternal hell.

King James Version, 1611 spelled as in the original
1. And these shall goe away into euerlasting punishment : but the righteous into life eternall
2. And the deuil that deceiued them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night, for euer and euer

Note: This version had thousands of differences in two printings within the same year.

Revised Version, 1881
1. And these shall go away into eternal punishment: but the righteous into eternal life
2. And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where are also the beast and the false prophet; and they shall be tormented day and night* for ever and ever
*Footnotes in the Bible: Gr. unto the ages of the ages

American Standard Version
1. And these shall go away into eternal punishment: but the righteous into eternal life
2. And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where are also the beast and the false prophet; and they shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.*
*Foot notes: Gr. unto the ages of the ages

Emphatic Diaglott, 1942 edition (Greek\English Interlinear)
1. And these shall go forth to the aionian 1cutting-off; but the RIGHTEOUS to aionian Life
2. And THAT ENEMY who deceived them was cast into the LAKE OF FIRE and Sulphur, where both the BEAST and FALSE-PROPHET [were cast,] and they will be tormented Day and Night for the AGES of the AGES

The New Covenant, 1884
1. And these shall go away into aeonian chastisement, and the just into aeonian life
2. And the accuser that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and sulphur, where both the beast and [the] false prophet [are], and they shall be tormented day and night to the aeons of the aeons

Young's Literal Translation of the Holy Bible, 1898
1. And these shall go away to punishment age-during, but the righteous to life age-during
2. and the Devil, who is leading them astray, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where are the beast and the false prophet, and they shall be tormented day and night-to the ages of the ages

The Holy Bible In Modern English (Fenton), 1903
1. And these He will dismiss into a long correction, but the well-doers to an enduring life.
2. And the Devil who deceived them was hurled into the lake of Divine fire, where also were the beast and the false prophet; and they shall be tortured day and night through the ages of the ages.

New Testament in Modern Speech, 1910
1. And these shall go away into the Punishment 1of the Ages, but the righteous into the Life* of the Ages.
2. and the Devil,** who had been leading them astray, was thrown into 3the Lake of fire and sulphur where the Wild Beast and the false Prophet were, and day and night they will suffer torture until the Ages of the Ages
*Footnote: *Of the Ages Greek 'aeonian.'

The Restoration of Original Sacred Name Bible, 1976
1. And these shall go away into age-abiding *correction, but the righteous into **age-abiding life
2. And the Adversary that had been deceiving them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where were both the wild-beast and the false-prophet; and they shall be tormented day and night unto the ages of ages

The Twentieth Century New Testament, 1900
1. And these last will go away 'into aeonian punishment,' but the righteous 'into aeonian life.'
2. and the Devil, their deceiver, was hurled into the lake of fire and sulphur, where the Beast and the false Prophet already were, and they will be tortured day and night for ever and ever

Concordant Literal New Testament, 1983
1. And these shall be coming away into chastening eonian, yet the just into life eonian
2. And the Adversary who is deceiving them was cast into the lake of fire and sulphur where the wild beast and where the false prophet are also. And they shall be tormented day and night for the eons of the eons.

Rotherham Emphasized Bible, 1959
1. And these shall go away into age-abiding correction, but the righteous into age-abiding life.
2. ...and the Adversary that had been deceiving them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where [were] both the wild-beast and the false-prophet; and they shall be tormented day and night unto the ages of ages.

The Companion Bible,1990 A King James Reference Bible
1. And these shall go away into everlasting punishment : but the righteous into life eternal
2. And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever

Many reference in this Bible that Aion which means "age." Aionios-"of or belonging to an age."

Ref: Tentmaker

aion(aeon/eon)= an indefinite period of time

God bless.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:43 AM

420 posts, read 1,238,278 times
Default Good Bye to All and God Bless!!!

I have been on this site for about a couple of weeks, and I have notice most people on this forum pretty much think they have it all figured out. The truth is the Bible, you can't twist scripture to fit what you believe. I don't feel I am accomplishing anything here, so I am going to preach the gospel else where, to ears that want to hear the gospel. I feel as christians that should be our job, and main focus. Don't get me wrong fellowship is important, because most people who are saying they are christians are lost. I can tell by reading alot of these post. I was shocked to see people not believing in Hell, saying Jesus has already came and will not come again, wow! These are elementary truths. I am an ordained minister and I am sent to the lost, to pull as many souls out of Hell as possible. So ask yourself, have I shared my faith today? Am I really a christian? Do I live what I preach about? Do I not believe in Hell because I am not living a godly life? I would like to say God Bless you all!!! I believe the pimp, prostitute, drug dealer, thief, and fornicator will listen and repent more that anyone of this forum. I believe there will be many surprises when the Lord returns, so study to show yourself approved. And remember, "It is appointed once for a man to die, and after that the judgement." May the Lord keep you, bless you, and reveal his self to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity