Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 09:33 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,407,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Al View Post
While I think our physical body will one day resurrect, it in no way means I will not one day die, expire, take my last breath.

Suggesting somehow that I can beat the call of my last numbered day given me by God though I do not believe.

1 Corinthians 15:

22, For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive. 23 But each in turn: Christ, the firstfruits; then, when he comes, those who belong to him. 35 But someone will ask, “How are the dead raised? With what kind of body will they come?” 36 How foolish! What you sow does not come to life unless it dies.

When Jesus said, “he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day” John 6:54, he then said, “This is the bread which came down from heaven, not such as the fathers ate and died; he who eats this bread will live for ever” John 6:58. What the Lord is saying is that among those who believe in Him, some will die and be raised up while others will not pass through death at all. The only way to beat death is to be raised up before it occurs. If the obits are any indication there are none being raptured alive.
and yet we sit in heavenly places in Christ.

All that die in Adam will be made alive in Christ, however that does not mean all die in Adam, it just means all that die in Adam. We as the body of Christ do not die in Adam, we die in Christ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 09:34 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,245,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
no I don't believe it is a semantics thing sisters, I see no reason but sin that our physical body need die.

why in your opinion does our physical body need die? does it state this anywhere in scripture?

If our physical body is of no use to us after we expire as mystic and Jer seems to be saying how come Jesus' body rose again from death?

Why does Paul tell us that bodies are to be redeemed?

why do scripture tell us God wants our whole being, spirit, soul and body to be preserved blameless?

are you sure you guys are not putting asunder something God has joined together?
Why do you think scripture trumps common sense?

Old 07-03-2014, 09:35 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,424,287 times
Quote:
would that not be planting a seed within a seed?
If this is refering to our physical body, how is it that anyone, including Jesus, spirit live?

To me the belief that our physical body needs to die in order for us live is just a twist on the OT blood laws of sacrifice, for the life of the flesh is in the blood. So instead of some animal needing to die so we can live now we have people believing we have to die so that we might live. Yet Christ tasted death for all men. Seems to me the focus is again taken off of Christ and put upon man instead of animals.

And just to make this clear for everyone I am speaking of physical death here not the death to self that is required.

I guess I worded it wrong. I don't believe that my body needs to die in order for me to live, but rather for my spirit to be freed from this earthly existence, to go onto whatever comes after this.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I guess I worded it wrong. I don't believe that my body needs to die in order for me to live, but rather for my spirit to be freed from this earthly existence, to go onto whatever comes after this.
But either way you are saying that our body needs to die physically in order to set your spirit free. The need of a blood sacrifice, for the life is in the blood, just does not compute with me. Do you not believe that our spirit can be set free in this life? whom the son sets free is free indeed.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Why do you think scripture trumps common sense?
the scruiptures are common sense so you question to me is moot.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
But either way you are saying that our body needs to die physically in order to set your spirit free. The need of a blood sacrifice, for the life is in the blood, just does not compute with me. Do you not believe that our spirit can be set free in this life? whom the son sets free is free indeed.

I think you know I don't believe in blood sacrifice to appease God. But that is not what I'm talking about here. I don't think my body dying has anything to do with appeasing an angry God.

I don't know if my spirit can escape the bonds to my earthly body while I'm still in it, pneuma. I've never tried. Some people talk about out of body experiences (which I actually had once as a little child). But they also talk about a cord that ties their spiritual body to their physical one. That's all way beyond me. Maybe they are right and maybe they are wrong and its all a bunch of hooey.

All I know is, the physical body dies. I've never personally known anyone who lived beyond the age of 100ish. My experience tells me, it's a natural part of life. Animals die, plants die, everything dies. The earth we live on needs that to happen in order for it to replenish itself, and it's been that way since long before humanity (and presumably, sin) entered the picture. It is our physical reality. Some day, we will leave this physical existence behind. Why is that a bad thing?

Old 07-03-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I think you know I don't believe in blood sacrifice to appease God. But that is not what I'm talking about here. I don't think my body dying has anything to do with appeasing an angry God.

I don't know if my spirit can escape the bonds to my earthly body while I'm still in it, pneuma. I've never tried. Some people talk about out of body experiences (which I actually had once as a little child). But they also talk about a cord that ties their spiritual body to their physical one. That's all way beyond me. Maybe they are right and maybe they are wrong and its all a bunch of hooey.

All I know is, the physical body dies. I've never personally known anyone who lived beyond the age of 100ish. My experience tells me, it's a natural part of life. Animals die, plants die, everything dies. The earth we live on needs that to happen in order for it to replenish itself, and it's been that way since long before humanity (and presumably, sin) entered the picture. It is our physical reality. Some day, we will leave this physical existence behind. Why is that a bad thing?
I never said the blood sacrifice was to appease God sis, just that the blood sacrifice is needed.

I am not talking about an out of body thing sis, I am talking about the freedom of the whole man, spirit, soul and body. As some of those scriptures I gave show sis our body is more the just clothing to be discarded.

I understand the delema sis, everyone gains perspective from the past or present, however if you keep looking at the past/present you will fail to see the future.

Because then death claims victory over our bodies.

Did Jesus leave his physical body behind? No. Why? because no matter how we slice it our physical body is a part of our makeup and must be redeemed, not cast aside.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:38 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,533,117 times
Quote:
[color=darkgreen]
All that die in Adam will be made alive in Christ, however that does not mean all die in Adam, it just means all that die in Adam. We as the body of Christ do not die in Adam, we die in Christ
I thought the premise of your thread was that we don't die any physical death at all, not in whom we die, for you wrote, "Growing up I always believed that death was an unnatural thing and that man in Christ could live forever and never needed to die. I thought this was a standard principle of those who believed in Christ. So it came as a bit of a shock to find out that I seemingly am the only one here who believes that man does not have to die a physical death."

Maybe I'm not seeing what you're getting at.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I never said the blood sacrifice was to appease God sis, just that the blood sacrifice is needed.
Then why call it a sacrifice at all? A sacrifice implies giving up something you would prefer to hold onto. I don't have a preference for holding onto this physical body I'm in beyond what it's needed for.

Quote:
I am not talking about an out of body thing sis, I am talking about the freedom of the whole man, spirit, soul and body. As some of those scriptures I gave show sis our body is more the just clothing to be discarded.
Well, you might not be talking about that, but I am. I am not my body. My body has a purpose, and it's serving that purpose. I absolutely do believe that it is something that I will discard when that purpose has been served.

Quote:
I understand the delema sis, everyone gains perspective from the past or present, however if you keep looking at the past/present you will fail to see the future.

Because then death claims victory over our bodies.

No, our physical bodies die and become a part of the earth, bringing new life to the earth. There's no "victory" for death, because it's just a part of the life cycle.

Quote:
Did Jesus leave his physical body behind? No. Why? because no matter how we slice it our physical body is a part of our makeup and must be redeemed, not cast aside.
Well, you're barking up the wrong tree with me here. I'm not convinced that the Jesus narrative is literally true, Pneuma. I'm not convinced that, even if it is based on literal history, all of the things that are included in the bible actually happened. And, no I don't think Jesus rose up out of the grave with a physical body.

Why does the physical body need to be "redeemed"? If you believe Genesis, the way God created the physical world was good. And physical death is a part of that physical creation. So, it's good too.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Al View Post
I thought the premise of your thread was that we don't die any physical death at all, not in whom we die, for you wrote, "Growing up I always believed that death was an unnatural thing and that man in Christ could live forever and never needed to die. I thought this was a standard principle of those who believed in Christ. So it came as a bit of a shock to find out that I seemingly am the only one here who believes that man does not have to die a physical death."

Maybe I'm not seeing what you're getting at.

No the premisis of the thread is we don't have to die, not that people have never died, some in Adam and some in Christ. What I was pointing out to you was that not all who have died, died in Adam. And that if we as the body of Christ die, maybe be murdered, maybe lay or our own life down for others, we would die in Christ.

However death of our physical body is NOT a requirement or inevitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity