Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Role Should Church Have In A Christian's Walk?
Should Be A Large Important Part 15 62.50%
A regular part but no duties or commitments 1 4.17%
Optional 6 25.00%
No Part At All 2 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 05:42 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,233,257 times

Advertisements

My long considered position is that a church is a place to fellowship with fellow believers. We need to get our spiritual batteries recharged from time to time by association with other real Christians. The world and Satan will wear you down if you're separated from the flock. I am very much against "churchianity" where so called churches are operated as money making businesses. I also believe that following Christ's commandment to us to spread the Gospel to all the nations of the world should be our prime concern, even if all we can do is financial support to real missionaries (I'm not talking about the missionaries to Monaco types). If they are missionaries to places that people save up all their lives to take a vacation to, there all probably other more needy missionaries you should support instead. Judge them by their works, not by slick newsletters. Give of your time if you can't afford to give financial support. A fellowship always needs people to give some time to day to day needs. Don't neglect fellowship. Get to know people. They all have needs, if only for a friend to talk to. A church should be a big part of your life. Make sure it's a real church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My priest finds "Love God and Love Your Neighbor" as the theme in every reading. Oh, he might meander around to get there, but that's how it always concludes.

And that to me is utterly amazing!
I'm sure I would like your priest.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
The episcopals-- tell homosexuals they are saved even though they practice immoral sex---antichrist.( 1 Cor 6:9-11--clearly teaches--will not enter Gods kingdom.
This is symptomatic of the increasing apostasy of the church prophecied in the Bible. Many denominations have fallen into apostasy and it is getting harder and harder to find a real church. Satan is hard at work destroying the family and the moral fiber of our society. Much worse is coming.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:07 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,735,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
If my green card comes through, we are hoping to move to your area... who knows.

I preach like the Episcopal Priest - my focus is always on equality, love all, do good deeds and make a change in the world.

When I ministered in California, I set up a skid-row ministry, 4 years later it is thriving; multiple churches take part as well as community groups, organizations, businesses etc. Homeless people are fed a hot meal 2x a month, and community is built as those who come to the meal eat side by side with those who have supplied the meal. I would love to continue to establish those ministries all over, wherever the need is, so to should be Christians rising up and giving them a helping hand.
For a couple of years here 2007-2009, a group of rough looking characters who were part of the Christiam Motorcycle Association (CMA) had a twice a month Sunday afternoon street ministry downtown. They brought food, sometimes they had their own music, and they counseled with many of the homeless. My wife and I heard of it by seeing one of the men in a grocery story and I asked him what CMA was. We became regulars in their meetings. Most folks have no idea what it is like to purchase the food and bread--and then make 300-400 peanut butter or bologna sandwiches, wrap them, put them in coolers and get them ten miles into downtown all before two in the afternoon. That was our Sunday worship. Generally between 150-200 homeless or struggling folks would show up---even in the winter and even with eight inches of snow on the ground.

One particularly cold Sunday, the leader of the CMA group brought in a food truck he had borrowed. He had made chicken noodle soup in anticipation of about 175 showing up. But the line grew long and he began to worry if there was enough to feed everyone, so he paused and got the dozen volunteers together to pray that God would provide food for all. I wasn't there that day because of the snow and the distance to downtown, so I missed my opportunity to see a real miracle. When the last homeless person got to the truck there was just enough soup to fill his bowl to the brim.

We met in the parking lot of an Office Depot, but they asked us to stop after complaints by the good neighbors in the high rise condos. We moved across the street to the gravel parking lot of an old mattress firm. Residents complained about the possibility of crime although not a single crime or any unruliness had occurred. Then a police car arrived each Sunday we met to "keep watch" over activities that had been taking place for nearly two years. Finally the state health authorities came and told us we would have to shut down because of "food safety" concerns. As our leader pointed out, "How dangerous can it be to feed sandwiches made the same day to folks who raid McDonald's trash bins for leftover fries."

But you can be sure that whenever a true church (organized or not) attempts to serve the same people Jesus did, there will be opposition.

Revrandy, I would be happy to go to a church where God's work is proclaimed and practiced. My arthritic back now severely limits my ability to do much but my heart still has a desire to serve in deed, not just words.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:11 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,424,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
It's only July and Halloween haters are already at it?

Fundamentalist have gotten worse over the years. When I grew up, my parents holiness church had a huge Halloween party. Scary, normal Halloween costumes, not bible figures, Not a harvest party. A Halloween party.

Now my parents and one of my sisters have taken a hard turn to the ignorant right.

They sure know how to take the "fun" out of "fundamentalism".

And put the fear in. Feardamentalism?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity