Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Role Should Church Have In A Christian's Walk?
Should Be A Large Important Part 15 62.50%
A regular part but no duties or commitments 1 4.17%
Optional 6 25.00%
No Part At All 2 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 04:33 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,536,662 times

Advertisements

Feel free to comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 05:42 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,789,761 times
Church should TEACH. Church should IMPART KNOWLEDGE.

I know that some people feel that church should be a place of worship, and it should, but as for me, it needs to be where I can go to LEARN.

These days I'm very close to losing my Christian faith and it's because so many pastors and church-goers from whatever church I've attended haven't cared enough to impart necessary knowledge to me... or, perhaps worse, they haven't actually HAD the knowledge. My current pastor won't talk theological issues with me because he feels it is his job to present the message, and it's the Holy Spirit's job to convict me of the veracity of the message. Way to cop out of your professional responsibilities, I say.

Church must stop being a place where people hear the same old boring stories in the same old boring sermon format. I don't care about what happened to someone in the Bible - I care about what happens to me. Don't tell me about Abraham's faith - according to the Bible, he was directly contacted by God. Until that happens to me, our two situations are nowhere near the same. Don't tell me about Job - he was directly contacted by God. Don't tell me about how faithful Paul was under adversity - he was directly contacted by God. If you aren't going to make it directly relevant to me, in the same conditions I'm experiencing, at least you can TEACH ME SOMETHING. Provide empirical evidence that cannot be refuted by anyone of any religious stripes (or lack thereof), that what the Bible says is true. That's more powerful than any sermon could ever be.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:21 AM

20,461 posts, read 12,856,127 times
The local church should be the base of a Christian's ministry.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:45 AM

9,702 posts, read 10,070,675 times
The church is a place where people can come together a worship the Lord , it is a place were people can interact with other believers and help others who do not have the gifting and anointing of Christ that they do ...........To be a place where faith in Jesus can be established and stabilities which the Lord desires ................A place where the candle stick of the Lord , which is the Holy Angel of God has in your church can keep your Church in the anointing of Jesus Christ for His purpose According to Revelation 1:20.............. A place in the world where the fruits of the spirit and the Works of the great commission can be exercised ...............A place were selfishness of the world can be resisted and selflessness of the love of God can be developed for all believers

Old 07-06-2014, 08:37 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,971,823 times
A local Meeting should be a fellowship and a source of support to an individual in all areas of his life.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:44 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,318,274 times
The "church" should be a gathering of like minded folks and those who seek clarification. The church is not the last word nor should it be definitive. Our faith plays out differently for each of us.
Some will be inclined to assist the poor, others the hungry, some will interact with the criminal population.
We are NOT all called for the same ministry, but we are all called for the same purpose--

TO LOVE GOD

TO LOVE OUR NEIGHBOR

And if we listen to what Jesus said, we must LOVE our neighbor who we have seen FIRST, because how do we LOVE GOD whom we have not seen if we cannot love our neighbors who are with us?

Now let's all discuss this concept called LOVE?

Does it mean DEPORTING the children or TAKING them in?

Does it mean striping others of the same basic rights 75% of the world enjoys (marriage, adoption, health choices)

Does LOVE mean telling other they MUST have the SAME INTERPRETATION of our god?

Does LOVE mean using oppressive means to raise ourselves up while holding others down until they capitulate our "flock"

Does LOVE mean being obligated to a brick and mortar or WOODEN structure when we can be out in the world influencing change?

Offered as MHO....

I missed the part where Jesus went to church, but when He did, He sure raised a lot of HELL with those who were trying to look good in the eye of the public. (MATTHEW 6:1-8)

Old 07-06-2014, 11:37 AM

1,867 posts, read 1,530,235 times
Default About The Real Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Al View Post
Feel free to comment.

What is church ?
That's the real question.

People say church is unity with love only.
People say church is unity with cross boasting only.
People say church is unity with that and being a former drunk only.
People say church is unity with that and being a tongue talker only .

Why not unity with 100% bible believers only ?

Isn't that what Ephesians 4:5 is talking about with 1 faith in Jesus Christ ?

Instead people say you can have unity with 500 faiths in Jesus Christ.

People are persuaded that the body of Christ never has churches with 100% biblical unity with
each other enough.

That would be calling God a lier if he put 2 Peter 1:20-21 in the bible.

If we call him a lier there we calling him a lier in :

Amos 3:3
John 17:21
Psalms 133:1
2 Cor. 6
Matthew 7:6
Ephesians 4:14
Colossians 2:8
Psalms 1

Only the devil calling any of the bible a lie by God----Rev. 12:8-10 and John 8:44.

Liers calling everybody a lier except themselves---John 8:44 and John 8:32.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:35 PM

9,915 posts, read 9,648,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
Church should TEACH. Church should IMPART KNOWLEDGE.

I know that some people feel that church should be a place of worship, and it should, but as for me, it needs to be where I can go to LEARN.

These days I'm very close to losing my Christian faith and it's because so many pastors and church-goers from whatever church I've attended haven't cared enough to impart necessary knowledge to me... or, perhaps worse, they haven't actually HAD the knowledge. My current pastor won't talk theological issues with me because he feels it is his job to present the message, and it's the Holy Spirit's job to convict me of the veracity of the message. Way to cop out of your professional responsibilities, I say.

Church must stop being a place where people hear the same old boring stories in the same old boring sermon format. I don't care about what happened to someone in the Bible - I care about what happens to me. Don't tell me about Abraham's faith - according to the Bible, he was directly contacted by God. Until that happens to me, our two situations are nowhere near the same. Don't tell me about Job - he was directly contacted by God. Don't tell me about how faithful Paul was under adversity - he was directly contacted by God. If you aren't going to make it directly relevant to me, in the same conditions I'm experiencing, at least you can TEACH ME SOMETHING. Provide empirical evidence that cannot be refuted by anyone of any religious stripes (or lack thereof), that what the Bible says is true. That's more powerful than any sermon could ever be.
Yep! I was thinking of that today. I decided to watch a few church programs on TV and internet, the ones that are excellent ministries. The one I loved THE MOST was David Jeremiah, he was actually interesting, he was doing a teaching (i think its called expository preaching) rather than another one doing a more topical preaching. One i was really drawn to and the other was boring. I DO NOT RELATE TO THE 2ND ONE which may be why i dont enjoy going to this church even though its a highly respected church that alot of people attend, but it doesn't hit me.

I'd rather go to this one little church that happens to have service in the forest preserve in the suburbs here in Illinois (they have a church in the parkhouse and its really sweet). than this other church that is boring and does not reach me. it may be how im wired, nothing wrong per se with that one church but its not for me.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:18 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,536,662 times
“10 Reasons Not to Bathe:”
1) I was forced to bathe as a child.
2) People who make soap are only after your money.
3) I only wash on special occasions like Christmas and Easter.
4) People who wash are hypocrites—they think they are cleaner than everyone else.
5) There are so many different kinds of soap that I can't decide which one is best.
6) I used to wash, but it got boring, so I stopped.
7) None of my friends wash.
8) The bathroom is never warm enough in the winter or cool enough in the summer.
9) I'll start washing when I get older and dirtier.
10) I can't spare the time.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:54 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,287,303 times
11) The people who wash regularly have been known to buy fancy soaps for themselves and give their leftovers to the poor.
12) The people who wash regularly think their type of water is the only type of water that can be used.
13) The people who wash in building A think the people who wash in Building B are still dirty.
14) The people who wash regularly cant agree on showering vs. taking a tub bath.
15) Some of people who wash regularly believe they need to help support their lead washer. Who is convinced he's supposed to tell everyone else how to wash. Even though he has soap in his eyes.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 07-06-2014 at 02:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity