Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2014, 01:59 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,213,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
If Jesus Christ's teachings on the sermon on the mount are not based upon love, i do not know what is, and if we are doing what we are taught(which to anyone who is enlightened by the glorious gospel are learning to be what they have been taught), we are learning to love God with all our heart soul mind and strength and our neighbor as ourselves. How else could you love God any higher than loving your neighbor as yourself.

That is right you scoffers the 2 greatest commandments are love based(not sin based, or right belief based), for love IS of God and everyone that loves is born of God, for God IS love, and one is worthless without the other, for both confirm each other. If you love the Lord your God with all of your heart soul mind and strength you love your neighbor as yourself and vice versa.

Amen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 02:13 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,723,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
So, basically, Marcion was teaching that the perceptions reported in the Old Testament about God were erroneous and the established Church vilified him? Sounds like par for the course. Was this the beginning of the hoop jumping contest now known as "Systematic Theology?"
I'm happy I could enlighten at least one person as to what their belief system actually is.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:19 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,936,334 times
How closely related is it to the Albigensians, would you say?

Old 07-31-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Hmmm..... So God answers your prayer.... by taking the life of a woman? Do you suppose anyone was praying for that woman? Like, "Dear God. Please bless my daughter today and take care of her while she drives and runs her errands."

I pray for the safety of my family and friends every day. The thought that God is up there saying, "Nope! Someone else was sinning and in prayer so I'm answering his prayer, not your's, and your family member dies today" is so bizarre I can barely comprehend it. Sorry. I know you're entrenched in your belief, but I think you've built yourself a narrative to suit what you believe. Which is something we all do so God will fit in with our version of Him. As is evidenced by the never-ending arguments on this thread.
Did I say that I prayed to end her life? Is that your conclusion?

What I learned from that experience is to be careful what you pray for---the answer may not be what you expected--or even desired. Do you not think I died a thousand deaths myself?

So you pray for the safety of your family every day. So does everyone else. But does it always happen? What about the parents of those children in Connecticut? Do you think they also prayed? Why did God NOT answer those prayers?

One of the dichotomies of God is that in many ways He can be viewed deist. He wound up the world and lets it run. In other respects He can be viewed theistically, as in, when His children pray earnestly and fervently to avoid disappointing Him---He answers.

God is more complex than you think. And He is not single sided, nor can He be condensed into a cookie cutter approach about Who the Ground for all Being is. Spiritual simplification is a complication for almost all of us.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:41 PM

63,888 posts, read 40,164,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Decide for yourself what you are.
Marcion's Theology:
Sound like anyone you know, MysticPhD?
Not me, Warden. There is only one God. The two descriptions are the result of human savagery and ignorance. The OT descriptions of God are simply and unequivocally WRONG! They painted God in their savage and barbaric image in their ignorance because they believed that God did absolutely everything by His Will . . . including what they themselves did. Everything that happened to them was God's willful acts . . . including accidents and natural disasters. Sound like anyone you know, Warden?

Old 07-31-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Did I say that I prayed to end her life? Is that your conclusion?

God is more complex than you think. And He is not single sided, nor can He be condensed into a cookie cutter approach about Who the Ground for all Being is. Spiritual simplification is a complication for almost all of us.

Nope. But leaving that aside ......

Really? You're going to tell me what or how I think about God? From some posts on the internet? You might want to re-think things if you believe you know what ANY of us hold in our hearts. I know what I know because, after an incredible but difficult life, I KNOW God loves me and his compassion for us is endless. My answers didn't come from a book or a sermon. They came because God blessed me and loved me. Pretty cool, huh?

Guess what? It IS that simple. Maybe someday you'll find that out.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 07-31-2014 at 03:27 PM..

Old 07-31-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Nope. But leaving that aside ......

Really? You're going to tell me what or how I think about God? From some posts on the internet? You might want to re-think things if you believe you know what ANY of us hold in our hearts. I know what I know because, after an incredible but difficult life, I KNOW God loves me and his compassion for us is endless. My answers didn't come from a book or a sermon. They came because God blessed me and loved me. Pretty cool, huh?

Guess what? It IS that simple. Maybe someday you'll find that out.
Quote:

I don't know your heart, but it appears I did correctly assess your spiritual point of view.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
I did correctly assess your spiritual point of view.
Well, if you're so confident you know all about it.... are you willing to learn from it? I don't think you are. I don't think you're ready to learn from it.

Which is where the wisdom of TroutDude comes into play. I'd urge you to take his advice to heart.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 07-31-2014 at 06:25 PM..

Old 07-31-2014, 08:59 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,397,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Because it's called Law and Gospel.
The basic lie of Satan (which is in the form of a question) still continues ..... "Did God really say Law and Gospel ?"

Satan's alternative answer is 'no' and it's devilish in both ways:
A) 'no, God really said Law and Guilt' .... which lead people to all sorts of conclusions (including suicide)

or the other extreme is
B) 'no, God really said Love and Gospel ... which leads people to all sorts of other conclusions (including UR)
The more seductive and appealing answer Satan puts out to humanity is "B" ... as you can read for yourself.

Before there was any sin \ sinner \death in the world, God proclaimed the law .. "If you eat of it, you will surely die".
And we know that God didn't just mean physical death because Satan is a spirit and those who die spiritually will be assigned to the place designed for Satan and his demons.
Twin the law was given in love not hate.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:08 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,397,591 times
Quote:
Decide for yourself what you are.

Marcion's Theology:

When Marcion was in Rome, he heard the parable of the new wine and the wineskins taught by the priests. He believed it was a parable that taught the worthlessness of the Old Testament and its God and the value of the New Testament and its god. This was the beginning of the church excommunicating him. It was from here that Marcion’s heresy began. Three of Marcion’s major doctrinal differences with Christianity is his belief in Dualism, Doceticism and his exaggerated Paulinism. Dualism is a belief that there are two equal forces in this world:good
and evil.

Marcion saw this tension between the Old Testament and the New Testament. It seemed to Marcion that the Old Testament’s God was a vengeful, jealous God who would tell His people to destroy an entire race, demanded a bloody sacrificial system and severely punished those who were disobedient to Him.

The other god was the Supreme god. This god brought Christ to man. This was a god who taught to “love your neighbor” rather than “an eye for an eye.” In Marcion’s eyes, this god was the only one that could be god. As stated earlier, this dualism affected the shape of Marcion’s canon. The main emphasis of his canon was twofold. First, it completely did away with the Old Testament. Second it emphasized Paul.

---------------
Marcion’s atrocious handling of the Old Testament “impelled Christians to study the relationship between the Old and the New Testament” The patristics were forced to find the
connection between the Old and New Testaments to refute Marcion. The church would do well to do the same today. Finally, Marcion’s folly has taught theologians how not to study
the Old Testament. Marcion greatly influenced his world and those influences still have an impact today.
Marcion Of Sinope

Sound like anyone you know, MysticPhD?
Two threads and you still do not understand, we do not believe there are two God warden, we believe that the people of old wrote about God what they believed. However their beliefs about God were NOT correct, hence Jesus came to reveal to us the truth about God.

Nothing like marcions belief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity