Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 06:18 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,392,832 times

Advertisements

Apparently, if you quote the Bible (i.e., Scriptures) it must be true?
Although, much of it is a stretch, coming from the precepts of men.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 06:30 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,747,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Post #6 which you are objecting to was in reply to what Katzpur said.

As I said, the purpose of the OP was not to invite debate. Both Protestants, the Roman Catholic Church, and the Eastern Orthodox church recognize that the Bible reveals that there is one God, but that there are three who are that God. Therefore, the Trinity. But if you don't believe in the Trinity, you are entitled to your opinion.
You probably already know this, but I define my belief as what I would call The Informal Trinity. I believe in God the Father, God the Son/Jesus Christ and God the Holy Spirit. Because the Biblical record goes no further in it's description of Deity, I do not feel it is justified for any Bible believing Christian has any business doing so on God's behalf. I have my own conclusions and beliefs beyond this, but I do not have the right to tell others that they must accept my ideas in order to be a "real Christian."

There are many old Christian doctrines that were once almost universally accepted. Ex Nihilo Creation (God spoke and the Earth popped into existence), the Geocentric Universe (everything in the universe revolves around planet Earth), etc. Prior to the Protestant Reformation, all of Christianity accepted the notion that celibate monasticism was a higher, more Godly lifestyle. There are countless things that were once considered absolute truth within all Christendom that just aren't anymore.

Why is the rigidly defined Nicene Trinity so absolute?? The early Catholic Church and Ecumenical Councils were wrong on so many other things, so how can we be so sure they got the Godhead right?? In affirming the absoluteness of the Nicene Trinity, you and others are essentially admitting that Ecumenical Councils are even more authoritative than the Bible itself. The doctrine of the Trinity tells you that you must interpret the Bible in a very specific way after all.

And we both know perfectly well that there have been countless believers in Christ who rejected the Nicene Trinity over the centuries. Many were tortured and massacred for daring to think differently. The unanimity of Eastern Catholic, Western Catholic and Mainline Protestantism is the direct result of the fact that anyone speaking against the Nicene Trinity has been brutalized for doing so.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:45 PM

33,314 posts, read 26,512,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
You probably already know this, but I define my belief as what I would call The Informal Trinity. I believe in God the Father, God the Son/Jesus Christ and God the Holy Spirit. Because the Biblical record goes no further in it's description of Deity, I do not feel it is justified for any Bible believing Christian has any business doing so on God's behalf. I have my own conclusions and beliefs beyond this, but I do not have the right to tell others that they must accept my ideas in order to be a "real Christian."

There are many old Christian doctrines that were once almost universally accepted. Ex Nihilo Creation (God spoke and the Earth popped into existence), the Geocentric Universe (everything in the universe revolves around planet Earth), etc. Prior to the Protestant Reformation, all of Christianity accepted the notion that celibate monasticism was a higher, more Godly lifestyle. There are countless things that were once considered absolute truth within all Christendom that just aren't anymore.

Why is the rigidly defined Nicene Trinity so absolute?? The early Catholic Church and Ecumenical Councils were wrong on so many other things, so how can we be so sure they got the Godhead right?? In affirming the absoluteness of the Nicene Trinity, you and others are essentially admitting that Ecumenical Councils are even more authoritative than the Bible itself. The doctrine of the Trinity tells you that you must interpret the Bible in a very specific way after all.

And we both know perfectly well that there have been countless believers in Christ who rejected the Nicene Trinity over the centuries. Many were tortured and massacred for daring to think differently. The unanimity of Eastern Catholic, Western Catholic and Mainline Protestantism is the direct result of the fact that anyone speaking against the Nicene Trinity has been brutalized for doing so.
It is obvious that you have a problem with the Nicene Creed. However, I didn't mention the Nicene Creed. What I did say is that while there is one true God, there are three who are that God. Therefore, while God is one Being, there are three - the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit who are that one Being.

I do not intend to keep defending what I said in post #6. If you disagree with what I said, then you disagree. And I really don't care about your issues with the Nicene Creed. The purpose of the OP was made clear.

Last edited by Michael Way; 07-26-2014 at 07:00 PM..

Old 07-26-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
It is obvious that you have a problem with the Nicene Creed. However, I didn't mention the Nicene Creed. What I did say is that while there is one true God, there are three who are that God. Therefore, while God is one Being, there are three - the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit who are that one Being.

I do not intend to keep defending what I said in post #6. If you disagree with what I said, then you disagree. And I really don't care about your issues with the Nicene Creed. The purpose of the OP was made clear.
If the entire premise of the thread is that Jehovah = Jesus, then we are 100% in agreement. As it happens, Katzpur is also 100% in agreement. I just don't understand why you made the choice to respond to Katzpur's comment with a bunch of non-Biblical Nicene Trinity garbage when all she did was agree with you. We both know perfectly well that she's LDS. We both know that you quite passionately disagree with her understanding of God. Your response quite clearly lays out, "And here's why are wrong in your beliefs, Katzpur."

To be frank, the LDS concept of deity is an issue that's been beaten to death. Since they obviously affirm that Jehovah and Jesus are one and the same, why muddy this thread with the whole LDS Godhead vs Nicene Trinity debate?? You, me and Katzpur all agree with the underlying premise of this thread, so why not just leave it at that?

Old 07-26-2014, 07:49 PM

33,314 posts, read 26,512,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
If the entire premise of the thread is that Jehovah = Jesus, then we are 100% in agreement. As it happens, Katzpur is also 100% in agreement. I just don't understand why you made the choice to respond to Katzpur's comment with a bunch of non-Biblical Nicene Trinity garbage when all she did was agree with you. We both know perfectly well that she's LDS. We both know that you quite passionately disagree with her understanding of God. Your response quite clearly lays out, "And here's why are wrong in your beliefs, Katzpur."

To be frank, the LDS concept of deity is an issue that's been beaten to death. Since they obviously affirm that Jehovah and Jesus are one and the same, why muddy this thread with the whole LDS Godhead vs Nicene Trinity debate?? You, me and Katzpur all agree with the underlying premise of this thread, so why not just leave it at that?
I made no mention of LDS beliefs. I simply replied to Katzpur's statement. Don't attempt to start contention on this thread.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:59 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,331,204 times
Jesus Christ revealed who I am is. And it was not the tribal pillaging god we were led to believe I am is.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
I made no mention of LDS beliefs. I simply replied to Katzpur's statement. Don't attempt to start contention on this thread.
Sounds good to me.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:03 AM

18,251 posts, read 16,949,336 times
Quote:
Jesus Christ IS YAHWEH
Jesus Christ is <em>YAHWEH</em> | Desiring God

Quote:
Jesus Christ is NOT YAHWEH
Jesus is Not Jehovah (Yahweh) - Jesus and His God

Both opinions come from respected Christian fundamentalist websites, yet both opinions are at odds with each other. Is it surprising that two fundamentalist Christians reading the exact same Bible would come away with completely different opinions on what the Bible purportedly says about Jesus being Yahweh?

It isn't surprising to me.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:23 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,075,267 times
Quote:
This complaint has nothing to do with the intended purpose of the OP. That purpose being simply to show that both the apostle John and the writer of Hebrews recognized the deity of Jesus Christ. They both identified Him as Yah-weh.
That's nice. The Romans identified Yah-weh as Cronus.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:26 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,075,267 times
Quote:
Post #6 which you are objecting to was in reply to what Katzpur said.

As I said, the purpose of the OP was not to invite debate. Protestants, the Roman Catholic Church, and the Eastern Orthodox church all recognize that the Bible reveals that there is one God, but that there are three who are that God. Therefore, the Trinity. But if you don't believe in the Trinity, you are entitled to your opinion.
Do you know why they do that? It's because of the Catholic Church's Nicene Creed, and the subsequent disempowerment of other Christian creeds through political, and thus social, clout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity