Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 09:06 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,284,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlyservant View Post
It is a pagan holiday. I would go as an angel to shine a light on the truth....
It's also the eve of a Catholic holy day, All Saints Day, which is followed by All Souls Day on Nov. 2. And in Mexico it's the eve of the Day of the Dead, celebrated Nov. 1 and 2 to coincide with All Saints Day and All Souls Day. If it's not a sin to celebrate Christmas Eve, then it's not a sin to celebrate Halloween.

All Saints' Day - All Saints' Day - Saints & Angels - Catholic Online
All Souls' Day - All Souls' Day - Saints & Angels - Catholic Online
Day of the Dead - Day Of The Dead - Saints & Angels - Catholic Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 11:04 PM

6,674 posts, read 4,300,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
No different than building a golden calf and calling for a celebration to the God, Jehovah,who save them.

How did that work out?
What did I tell you? See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
There are many here who will tell you that if you celebrate Halloween, you're in for it. You'll be struck by lightning, cast into hell, brought out of hell so you can be struck by lightning again and cast back into hell for good measure.

If you're OK with celebrating it, go for it. It's not a sin. Many churches celebrate by having children come in costume, hand out candy, etc. They just change the name to "Havest Festival" instead of Halloween. Same thing.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:21 PM

18,255 posts, read 16,992,673 times
Quote:
Is it a sin to enjoy Halloween?
Didn't you know?

When you're a Christian everything, except praising and worshipping God, is a sin.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:18 AM

310 posts, read 263,116 times
Give the devil his do.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:06 AM

88,860 posts, read 85,274,311 times
Quote:
Give the devil his do.
As in "hairdo?"

Old 09-03-2014, 08:31 AM

101 posts, read 86,377 times
Quote:
If the truth be told... Christians should not celebrate Halloween. It is an unholy holiday. We should celebrate that which God has given us, such as Christmas and Easter.
God did not give us Christmas and Easter!

Old 09-03-2014, 08:33 AM

101 posts, read 86,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
Pumpkin Spice.

Halloween may not be a sin but dropping a microphone is!

Old 09-03-2014, 08:43 AM

399 posts, read 686,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There are a great many people who actually think you can celebrate or worship something you do NOT INTEND to celebrate or worship. I do not know how they come to accept such an absurd notion . . . but I think it has to do with physical objects having powers or some such! Most of us sane people realize it is NOT possible to celebrate what you have no intention to celebrate. Same for worship. It is a mystery for sure.

I think there is a separation here that you are missing. I would not be worshipping demons or evil, but celebrating the thought of scaring them away. There is a big difference in the two.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:12 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,303,333 times
Free will is not a sin. Unless you are a Jehovah's Witness

Old 09-04-2014, 09:37 AM

2,169 posts, read 3,147,085 times
Heck, my church holds a Trunk or Treat in the church parking lot. Parents are encouraged to decorate their cars and hand out candy. Kids are encouraged to dress up in a costume. The youth group puts together a "Haunted House" in the youth center (and it's actually pretty scary.) We give prizes for best adult costume, best decorated car. Only church families and their guests are allowed to attend. Gates open at 5 to begin decorating. Gates close at 6:30 so it's a safe enviroment where kids can roam around freely. We serve hot dogs, drinks and chips in the hall for free. Festival ends around 9.

I guess my whole church is going to hell!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity