Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 05:45 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,950,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Why is it not absolute authority?
Because it can only be words written in ink. Just like laws which beget lawyers, words written in ink beget theologians. How many of the doctrines men have derived from the bible are undisputed, Jimmy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Yes - there's nothing like using the authority of the Bible to discredit the Bible.
When are you going to wake up to the fact that I am using YOUR standard of authority to demonstrate that you DON'T FOLLOW IT?

Old 09-16-2014, 05:50 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,827,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Because it can only be words written in ink. Just like laws which beget lawyers, words written in ink beget theologians. How many of the doctrines men have derived from the bible are undisputed, Jimmy?
natswift, Jesus quoted from and read from the very Scriptures you call "only words in ink".

Old 09-16-2014, 05:51 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,700,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galileo2 View Post
Many consider that the Bible contains the inspired word of God.

But can this view be proven or is it held only by faith alone?

1. Rationalism holds that truth should be determined by reason and factual analysis, rather than faith, dogma, tradition or religious teaching.

2. Fideism holds that faith is necessary, and that beliefs may be held without evidence or reason, or even in conflict with evidence and reason.

Faith and rationality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is it possible that the Bible is only partially inspired and, if so, how does one determine which parts?
Only by faith alone. There is no proof that a God actually exists. How can any book or anything be proven to be divinely inspired?

With that said, I tend to think there is a God -- that the existence of us, the world, the Universe are not just accidents. But I would hesitate to define that God (outside of the laws of physics -- well, what we think of as 'laws' today -- who knows tomorrow).

Old 09-16-2014, 06:49 PM

7,604 posts, read 6,109,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Yes - actually there were Scriptures.

Luke 4:17-20
- And the book of the prophet Isaiah was handed to Him. And He opened the book and found the place where it was written, 18 "THE SPIRIT OF THE LORD IS UPON ME, BECAUSE HE ANOINTED ME TO PREACH THE GOSPEL TO THE POOR. HE HAS SENT ME TO PROCLAIM RELEASE TO THE CAPTIVES, AND RECOVERY OF SIGHT TO THE BLIND, TO SET FREE THOSE WHO ARE OPPRESSED, 19 TO PROCLAIM THE FAVORABLE YEAR OF THE LORD." 20 And He closed the book, gave it back to the attendant and sat down; and the eyes of all in the synagogue were fixed on Him.
But that was the Hebrew Bible,The Septuagint not the New Testament from which Luke was a part.
Luke was not written until some 80 years after Jesus died, possibly even 100 years later. Luke's gospel was not scripture at the time Jesus was alive, it had not even been written !

Back to the OP. There is no proof. No evidence. I have always maintained that grand claims require grand proof. All I have ever encountered is a few people who say over and over again "yes it is yes it is" as the extend of their argument. Repeating something over and over again does not make it true; it makes it a wish, or propaganda, but it does not make it inherently true.

One question which cannot be answered is, if the Bible is inspired by God, and God is good, then why is the Bible such a bad book ? And for those of us who have tread the whole entire thing, yes it is a bad book. Bad literature for bad literature's sake perhaps? But why would a good god make such a bad book? Or did the god not inspire the book ? Or is the god not so good either?

Some will deny the shortcomings of both the book and the supposed creator and disagree with my points. That is fine. But I have said before, and I will continue to say, that in the 21st century we can do better than reviving ancient myths which have little to no bearing on our lives. In other words, these myths SHOULD have no bearing on our lives. We can do better, and we should do better. .

Old 09-16-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
natswift, Jesus quoted from and read from the very Scriptures you call "only words in ink".
Let's go through it again, jimmy: scripture may be a useful tool FOR the spirit, it is NOT the Spirit nor the authority of the Spirit.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
But that was the Hebrew Bible,The Septuagint not the New Testament from which Luke was a part.
Luke was not written until some 80 years after Jesus died, possibly even 100 years later. Luke's gospel was not scripture at the time Jesus was alive, it had not even been written!

What about Paul's letters, which Peter confirmed?

Old 09-16-2014, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Let's go through it again, jimmy: scripture may be a useful tool FOR the spirit, it is NOT the Spirit nor the authority of the Spirit.
But you natswift decide what is useful, based on some random standard which you decide.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
If this is true, we can reword John 1:1 without changing the meaning: "In the beginning was the Bible and the Bible was with God and the Bible was God...."

Can you see a difference?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
What do you think "Word" means here?
I'm going to assume that you really want to know and are not familiar with the concept of "logos." John was a mystic and he borrowed a term from Greek philosophy. Think of it as "the idea" or "the concept." I also am a mystic and prefer to think of it as "the animating spirit." It was this that Jesus manifested in His life and ministry.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:28 PM

45,707 posts, read 27,325,537 times
Quote:
When are you going to wake up to the fact that I am using YOUR standard of authority to demonstrate that you DON'T FOLLOW IT?
Are you telling me something I don't know? No one follows the precepts in the Bible 100%. What does that have to do with what the Bible is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity