Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2014, 12:54 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,797,983 times

Advertisements

Jesus said a number of different ways how to know the word of God, that is to understand it, I mean. He said that He came to do Gods will and that anyone who chooses to do Gods will shall know about His teaching whether it comes from God or not.

Here is what the son of man says; 'I came down from heaven to do the will of him who sent me not my own. Anyone who chooses to do His will shall know about this teaching ,namely whether it comes from God or I am merely speaking on my own."

Another way He said it is; "If you continue in my teaching you are truly my disciple then you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free."

"The man who keeps the commandments he has from me is the man who loves me and the man who loves me will be loved by my Father, I too shall love him and reveal myself to him."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 01:12 PM

20,465 posts, read 12,866,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galileo2 View Post
RESPONSE:

Again, if the writer of a book claims it is divinely inspired, then you have only his word, not God's.
Not if it's at least partially inspired, as you said is a possibility.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:16 PM

45,822 posts, read 27,470,187 times
Quote:
RESPONSE: Matthew 21:1-8, Mark 11:1-10, Luke 19:29-36, John 12:12-14
OK - so Matthew reports two animals. Two animals validate prophecy given in Zechariah 9 - which is important to Matthew's Jewish audience, but not the other audiences. The other authors chose to report that He rode on the colt - doesn't mean the donkey wasn't there. Matthew never said he rode on two animals at the same time as you suggest. Maybe the donkey was the mother of the colt, and it was necessary to keep them together. Who knows. The point is neither account is untrue.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:17 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,260,900 times
Quote:
RESPONSE:

Not really. Which books of other major religions have you read? Have you read The Book of Mormon for example?
Actually, yes---I have. It doesn't compare.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:21 PM

45,822 posts, read 27,470,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
When you don't have the Holy Spirit - they probably do all look the same.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:13 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,766,837 times
Quote:
I have read it too, along with the Quran and many different religious writings. It seems that some in here think others are ignorant when it comes to religion. I think they like to project their own ignorance.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:23 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,260,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
I have read it too, along with the Quran and many different religious writings. It seems that some in here think others are ignorant when it comes to religion. I think they like to project their own ignorance.
Could you elaborate? What exactly do you mean?

Old 09-17-2014, 03:07 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,893,760 times
Quote:
RESPONSE:

Most of the world's major religions have their Holy Book which they claim is inspired by God. Obviously contradictory, they all cannot be.

For example, a Muslim would consider the Koran to be of divine origin. A Christian would consider the Bible as of divine origin. Because the books are quite different, both views cannot be true, can they?
That's often the assumption, but, not really true. The Koran is comprised of the teachings of the 'prophet Mohammad' and does not claim to be inspired by God. The Bible alone claims to be the inspired Word of Almighty God ... It is the only one of the 'holy books' that repeatedly (3000 times) declares "God Says/Said".

The Bible is comprised of scripture that was compiled over a period of almost 1500 years by approximately 100 authors - all writing under direct inspiration. Jesus, whom many 'Bible-bashers' claim to believe in, repeatedly referenced Old Testament Scriptures and accurately fulfilled 300 OT Messianic prophecies.

The truth is that many 'Bible-detractors' claim to have an excellent or 'scholarly' knowledge of the Bible and what it says, but, the things they say often reveal an entirely different reality. Yet, those on the forum who have actually studied and taught the Bible for many years - are often painted as 'fundamentalists' or 'Bibleans'.

It's not about "worshiping the BOOK" as some weakly suggest to justify rejecting scripture. It's about worshiping and loving God ... who has revealed himself and his plan and interaction with mankind through the prophets who recorded it in scripture which has ultimately been compiled in the Bible.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:51 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,978,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
The answer is in ..... the Bible.

One parable explains it, the wheat and weeds fr one. The knowledge that what we have now would exist is in the ....... Bible.
Yes, the tares are the people who pushg Satan's great program for minimizing the reliance on the Spirit of God's love by making a religion out of the faith and relying on a book instead of what God promised. Got it.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:22 PM

28,151 posts, read 30,127,217 times
Quote:
I would like you to tell me enough about the Book of Mormon (what it's about, what it teaches, what time period and place it takes place in, etc.) that you can convince me that you've actually read it (I'm assuming you mean from cover to cover and not just a half dozen pages). Then I would like you to tell me very specifically in what way it "doesn't compare" to the Bible. I'm looking for something a bit more concrete than, "The Bible comes across as true and the Book of Mormon comes across as false." I'm calling your bluff on this one, Vizio. I hope you're prepared. (I'll be able to tell if you just got your information off Wiki.)

Last edited by Katzpur; 09-17-2014 at 06:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity