Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 08:23 PM

335 posts, read 410,858 times

Advertisements

At the risk of encouraging replacement theology I feel compelled to share a belief that
God is not at all gender neutral but directs gender via His triune albeit Godhead mystery. The claim by a mix of christians, gentile/ jewish messianics and theologians
is a position that the Holy Spirit (Ruach Ha' Kodesh) wind/ breath has a female conno-
tation. The Greeks got it wrong in translation of hebrew she to "he" within a man con-
trolled influence. I believe Jesus (a he) is the image of God ™but yes God is spirit and
the question remains can His spirt be male gender? ..,.or a motherly conforter extension of Gods roles.?

Old 09-24-2014, 09:12 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,825,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inattentive View Post
At the risk of encouraging replacement theology I feel compelled to share a belief that
God is not at all gender neutral but directs gender via His triune albeit Godhead mystery. The claim by a mix of christians, gentile/ jewish messianics and theologians
is a position that the Holy Spirit (Ruach Ha' Kodesh) wind/ breath has a female conno-
tation. The Greeks got it wrong in translation of hebrew she to "he" within a man con-
trolled influence. I believe Jesus (a he) is the image of God ™but yes God is spirit and
the question remains can His spirt be male gender? ..,.or a motherly conforter extension of Gods roles.?
King James Bible
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
This thought has occurred to me also. But that is off topic. You should start a thread. I would love to give my thoughts on the subject.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:12 PM

28,136 posts, read 30,062,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
If you want to read some very interesting thoughts by an actual textual critic, Daniel McClellan, go to thread 400,000 textual variants. No big deal. He is literally taking the OP apart on this and a few other cardinal doctrines, stating there is no shred of evidence to support the Trinity.
So Daniel's back, huh? I haven't seen him in over a year and a half. Yes, he is extremely well-read and always presents a very convincing argument. I used to be surprised to see how many people just brushed him off. He knows his stuff.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:59 PM

12,688 posts, read 6,756,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
King James Bible
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
This thought has occurred to me also. But that is off topic. You should start a thread. I would love to give my thoughts on the subject.
One of the many groups of Gnostics had a very simple answer for this one: There is God the Father and there is also God the Mother. One of those groups actually went so far as to believe in a Trinity constituted of Father, Mother, Son. This Celestial Mother figure was not Mary mind you. To them, Mary was a mortal woman and not an object of reverence. This Celestial Mother was co-equal and co-eternal with the Father. Her Greek name was Sophia. If there is some sort of divine feminine figure that is part of Elohim (the Gods) in the Old Testament, then this passage would say "So the Gods created man in their own image, in the image of the Gods created he him, male and female created he them." And with Sophia as an already existent female prototype, this passage would make a ton more sense.

There were a lot of very interesting things in Gnostic belief, but they did not survive the purges of "heretics" by the Roman Empire.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Katzpur, while I believe in the Trinity, it is not a cardinal belief for me because there is so little textual evidence for it. If you want to read some very interesting thoughts by an actual textual critic, Daniel McClellan, go to thread 400,000 textual variants. No big deal. He is literally taking the OP apart on this and a few other cardinal doctrines, stating there is no shred of evidence to support the Trinity.

The few conservative, apologetic textual critics have to put spin on the extant manuscripts to make an attempt at protecting it. There are actually several manuscripts with different wording on the very portion that pinnacled writes about, but no translator has been willing to publish "older" document sources for fear of losing readership.
Ephesians 2:1-22 ESV / 4 helpful votes

And you were dead in the trespasses and sins in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the (SPIRIT) that is now at work in the sons of disobedience— among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the (BODY) and the (MIND), and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind. But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved—

This is before you are saved. Notice the trinity where the spirit is one that is not holy.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:06 AM

One thing I found to be absolutely gorgeous and profound is the saying the Old testament is a shadow of things to come. This implication. That future events will have The light to cast a shadow back in time. Wow.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:35 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,614,437 times
the Trinity is not a "notion".
God has manifested in only 3 ways on this planet.
As Father. As Son. and as Holy Spirit.
hope this helps.
next.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:43 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,519,627 times
Quote:
because there is so little textual evidence for it. .
That is simply not the case ....
https://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...s-trinity.html
Our coined word "Trinity' which closely resembles the first century coined word which was revealed by God is found in the Bible Colossians 2:9 is "Godhead"
KJV For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily

G2320
èåüôçò
theoteôs (pronounced) ...theh-ot'-ace
Derives from the Greek word G2316; divinity (abstractly):—godhead.
and the Greek word (G2320) derived from the Greek word (G2316)
G2316
èåüò
theos (pronounced) theh'-os

Of uncertain affinity; a deity, the supreme Divinity;
by Hebraism very:—X exceeding, God
The Trinity \ Deity \ Godhead shown itself when Jesus was baptized: Matthew 3:16-17
  • The Father of the Godhead spoke
  • The Son of the Godhead was in the water
  • The Holy Spirit of the Godhead descended
in the Bible, God revealed

Old 09-25-2014, 10:51 AM

3,671 posts, read 2,251,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
the Trinity is not a "notion".
God has manifested in only 3 ways on this planet.
As Father. As Son. and as Holy Spirit.
hope this helps.
next.
this is a good assessment, but, can you please explain how God manifested as the Son, and at the Same time manifest as the Father?. thanks for your coming answer, in advance.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:52 AM

802 posts, read 455,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
One thing I found to be absolutely gorgeous and profound is the saying the Old testament is a shadow of things to come. This implication. That future events will have The light to cast a shadow back in time. Wow.
RESPONSE:

Have you considered the obvious possibility that the writers of the later writings having knowledge of the earlier ones wrote their material to "fulfill" the older prophecies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.