Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 11:45 PM

336 posts, read 844,887 times

Advertisements

Does one need to belong to a church or a religious organization to live a christian life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 08:55 AM

23,020 posts, read 34,397,699 times
Hebrews 10:25 "And not us not neglect our meeting together as some people do, but encourage and warn each other, especially now that the day of His coming back again is drawing near".

You don't have to belong to a church to be a Christian but I think it is important. We gather together to share our faith and strengthen each other in the Lord and to be there to offer support and help to ones in need. I have never been disappointed by going to church, I alway go way thinking, how blessed I am to have been there.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:27 AM

2,949 posts, read 5,502,019 times
I agree with north carolina

Old 12-28-2007, 11:04 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,275,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Hebrews 10:25 "And not us not neglect our meeting together as some people do, but encourage and warn each other, especially now that the day of His coming back again is drawing near".

You don't have to belong to a church to be a Christian but I think it is important. We gather together to share our faith and strengthen each other in the Lord and to be there to offer support and help to ones in need. I have never been disappointed by going to church, I alway go way thinking, how blessed I am to have been there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
I agree with north carolina
Yep, I agree that ILNC nailed it pretty well! For me, going to church usually gives me "an attitude adjustment!" Let's just call it "chiropractic for my soul!!!"

Old 12-28-2007, 12:35 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,502,606 times
I think we should remember that our spiritual life requires discipline. There are very few people who would be able to sustain a healthy relationship with the Lord without habitually attending church. Our own blue seems to be a rare exception. The sad fact is that most people who attend church do not do anything during the other 6 days of the week to further their spiritual health. If they stop going to church, there is absolutely no spiritual influence in their lives. The other people, who take their walk seriously enough to invest the time to read and study the Word, and spend time in prayer might stand a chance. However, I think church attendance helps one remain balanced. We need the correction that we receive from the messages. I know I need the communal worship service. And the fellowship that we get from our "family" at church is priceless. I gain strength from my brothers and sisters in Christ. We are weaker on our own and more susceptible to the schemes of the devil.

Ecclesiastes 4:12
Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:32 PM

336 posts, read 844,887 times
Meeting And Fellowshipping With One And Other Can Re-enforce Our Strength In Our Lord.it Can Add Or Remind Us Of Godly Teachings And Books From The Bible. That Said, Some Churchs Actually Hurt People.they Put Many Restrictions And Man Made Rules Upon The Lamb,interpreting Scripture To Agree With Their Teachings And When The Lamb Questions Or Can't Live Up To The Expectations,problems Begin.so The Lamb Leaves The Church. Many People On These Forums Are Christians ,yet Are Not Affiliated With A Church, For Various Reasons. Just Joining Up In Another Church Is Not Easily Done After You Have Made Such A Break, After Having Such Strong Ties,(to The Flock And To The Doctrine). You Can Have A Spiritual Life Without A Home Church ,ofcourse We Are Still Children Of God,but It Is Not Easy- It Feels Like Something Is Missing.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:11 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,518,681 times
Well said, Jana..Thank you.. A person who has "dropped out" and feels they have grown in faith by taking their belief matters into their own hands with the help of the Holy Spirit may be afraid of going back to the heartache and headache of being pressured to "join"..They may even be afraid of losing the peace and spiritual maturity they have gained..Answered prayer from God and following the Spirit have led me to the place I am now..If God wants me to be elsewhere, I will do as I feel he is leading me..Maybe God turned the problems in the past between me and "going to church" into a blessing for me..I prayed, studied and prayed alone for many years..At the same time I was losing my hearing due to a genetic thing..However, I was building my faith and beliefs to the point that I was finally able to say "No more will I allow anyone to come between me and God..In reality, I would have a very hard time hearing a sermon or answering questions, or teaching if I did find a place to belong..Maybe He even led me to this forum

Old 12-28-2007, 03:38 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,502,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Well said, Jana..Thank you.. A person who has "dropped out" and feels they have grown in faith by taking their belief matters into their own hands with the help of the Holy Spirit may be afraid of going back to the heartache and headache of being pressured to "join"..They may even be afraid of losing the peace and spiritual maturity they have gained..Answered prayer from God and following the Spirit have led me to the place I am now..If God wants me to be elsewhere, I will do as I feel he is leading me..Maybe God turned the problems in the past between me and "going to church" into a blessing for me..I prayed, studied and prayed alone for many years..At the same time I was losing my hearing due to a genetic thing..However, I was building my faith and beliefs to the point that I was finally able to say "No more will I allow anyone to come between me and God..In reality, I would have a very hard time hearing a sermon or answering questions, or teaching if I did find a place to belong..Maybe He even led me to this forum
Blue, having read many of your posts, I think you are one of the exceptions to the rule. I completely understand where you are coming from and I'm sure there are others like you. My above post was talking about the majority of people who will not take the time to study and pray, thus letting their spiritual life dry up.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:38 PM

14,887 posts, read 17,174,505 times
Spm62, may I ask where you attend? Right now I am not attending anywhere regularly partly because I was in the same situation Blue was in, affiliated with the same doctrines (COC) but I visit various congregations from time to time. God bless.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:31 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,502,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Spm62, may I ask where you attend? Right now I am not attending anywhere regularly partly because I was in the same situation Blue was in, affiliated with the same doctrines (COC) but I visit various congregations from time to time. God bless.
hey shan,
I am much like you. I went to church from the time I was a baby (my mom was active in the church so much of my childhood is centered on the church..my Dad reads the bible daily). But as I grew older I got away from the church and became wordly,indulging in things of the flesh. But God never let go of me and even though I was out running around I always would reflect on the things of God from time to time. Still believing but not living in obedience. As I grew even older I attended several different churches but always read the bible and prayed on my own. I would constantly pray and ask God to help me and show me his truth. But I kept attending different churches and met lots of really nice people but a lot of the teachings of the church just didn`t seem right to me. I`ve been to different bible studies in people homes and churches etc. over the years just trying to learn and understand. So as of now, I don`t attend anywhere on a regular basis, mainly because of some of the teachings and doctrines of the church. But I attend occassionally because I love the fellowship of warm friendly people. I wish I could find a christian universal church in my area. But I do have one particular church that I attend more than the others because I love the people there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity