Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 07:44 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,523,795 times

Advertisements

Interesting, I didn't realize there were other people here who have dropped out of organized religion, yet continue to honor God with prayer, praise personal ministries,and their faithful following of the teachings of ChristGod Bless you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 08:20 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,502,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Interesting, I didn't realize there were other people here who have dropped out of organized religion, yet continue to honor God with prayer, praise personal ministries,and their faithful following of the teachings of ChristGod Bless you!
I believe the church to be the mother of all harlots spoken of in Rev. But that is because of the teachings in the church. I just believe most of the sheep in the church follow organized religions teachings and the doctrines of men. It is so easy to get caught up in the teachings of the church and go with the crowd. But a preacher in the church has no more access to God`s word or understanding then you do. We can all go bodly to the throne of God through Jesus. He has given his word to all. A preacher is not like a doctor,pilot,or some profession where we just take for granted because they are skilled or learned in a particular area then they know more than we do about it. According to God`s word we are all priest. All of our bodies are temples of the Lord. We don`t need a spokesman or someone to interpret scripture for us. Now I`m not saying God doesn`t use people to enlighten us. I have learned most everything I know from listening to other people but not just one person. A preacher is a fallible human being ( as we all know..just read the news)and God can give you just as much wisdom as anybody else. But so many people just believe what they are taught by the church or their sunday school teacher without reading,researching,and praying about it.They just accept the majority view. I`m not saying anyone on here,so please don`t take it personal. I`m sure we all are very discerning about what we believe. should I start another thread on the mother of all harlots.... yikes! Do you guys still love me (spm62... Dave) eventhough you disagree with me on most doctrinal issues....

Old 12-28-2007, 08:36 PM

14,893 posts, read 17,182,682 times
Quote:
Hi Blue, I grew up as a Baptist and became involved with the COC after much searching and praying. When I was in the COC I was very active, very evangelical, you know with the door knocking. I was in it for about 15 years and came out after believing that some of the teachings weren't right, but I think that God put me there to teach me so many things. For one thing, I have done a 180 degree turn on my beliefs about the lost and salvation but I believe that God was showing me many things about Him and about myself. Anyway, thank you for your post. God bless you.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:38 PM

14,893 posts, read 17,182,682 times
Quote:
So as of now, I don`t attend anywhere on a regular basis, mainly because of some of the teachings and doctrines of the church. But I attend occassionally because I love the fellowship of warm friendly people. I wish I could find a christian universal church in my area.
Same here, Dave. I mostly miss singing with others and the fellowship. Thank you for sharing. God bless.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:38 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,335,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANA MANIA View Post
Does one need to belong to a church or a religious organization to live a christian life?
According to my mother u do. My mother and I have this debate quite often. She always quotes the scripture that says "...fail not to assemble yourselves with other believers..." And I always say "I am the church or the church is in me, wherever I am I take the church with me. Sometimes I tell her I have assembled myself with Christian television. I know people who go to church on a regular, but their hearts are far from GOD-they lack love. I also know people who never leave their house, but read and practice the Bible and they have love in their hearts. One may I know can't stand being enclosed or crouds for any length of time, so he does not attend church. He watches Christian TV and if u go to his house if feels like church. His wife on the other hand attends church, but is a carnal Christian at best. Who is right and who is wrong? I just don't believe u have to go to church or be a part of a religious organization to be saved. However, I do think regular church attendence and being a member of a church is a good idea. The right church can help u grow spiritually, provide fellowship and encouragement from other Christians, give u the opportunity to connect with prayer partners and provides the opportunity for pastorial counsel and guidence. I think church is like school. There is a benefit that comes from going to school, but school is not the only place u can be educated. I think it is beneficial to attend church, but I don't think it is necessary for salvation. I could be wrong...but I doubt it

Old 12-31-2007, 11:56 AM

6 posts, read 17,393 times
My church is in the woods and talking to the people I run into. I try my hardest to measure up to my beliefs and realize that I am always less than what I'd like to be.
I hope that I am doing God's Will, but the only thing I have to go by is how well I sleep at night and being able to look people in the eye. That's going to have to be good enough. My God wants me to enjoy what He's given me, help the people I love, and don't abuse either one.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:02 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,199,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
According to my mother u do. My mother and I have this debate quite often. She always quotes the scripture that says "...fail not to assemble yourselves with other believers..." And I always say "I am the church or the church is in me, wherever I am I take the church with me. Sometimes I tell her I have assembled myself with Christian television. I know people who go to church on a regular, but their hearts are far from GOD-they lack love. I also know people who never leave their house, but read and practice the Bible and they have love in their hearts. One may I know can't stand being enclosed or crouds for any length of time, so he does not attend church. He watches Christian TV and if u go to his house if feels like church. His wife on the other hand attends church, but is a carnal Christian at best. Who is right and who is wrong? I just don't believe u have to go to church or be a part of a religious organization to be saved. However, I do think regular church attendence and being a member of a church is a good idea. The right church can help u grow spiritually, provide fellowship and encouragement from other Christians, give u the opportunity to connect with prayer partners and provides the opportunity for pastorial counsel and guidence. I think church is like school. There is a benefit that comes from going to school, but school is not the only place u can be educated. I think it is beneficial to attend church, but I don't think it is necessary for salvation. I could be wrong...but I doubt it
Interesting. Let's say all the churches were corrupt, teaching false doctrine, run by communists, or controlled by the government restricting what can be taught or not (not unlike today ) would she still quote that scripture? Would she still tell you you must go?

Old 01-02-2008, 09:58 AM

22,267 posts, read 19,259,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANA MANIA View Post
Does one need to belong to a church or a religious organization to live a christian life?
No, they do not. It is a way of life not a label or joining this or that religion.
WhenI am walking the path, it is "every step a prayer, every breath a prayer"
It is a radiance, not this or that sect

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 01-02-2008 at 10:09 AM..

Old 01-02-2008, 10:42 AM

479 posts, read 1,142,576 times
I think it's good to go to Church and/or assemble with members of the body consistently. It's also good to devout oneself to independant study and reading of the scriptures.(many of whom who do go to church, don't do this very much)

I try to go to Church semi-frequently, but I must admit nowadays I have felt a bit distant from my brothers and sisters in Christ when attending Church functions. Not that I don't love them, I do seem to have a rather hollow feeling within my heart when attending Church services nowadays - I just don't feel any warmth there. I know that's the major reason as to why I come to forums like these and speak with believers. Kind of helps me fill that void a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity