Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2014, 06:02 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,312,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I agree with your posts in this thread, pcamps. I have long thought that satan/the adversary in the book of Job was symbolic of Job himself. And representative of what I believe is a misconception many people had (and still have): that God intervenes in our physical world.
Very true Pleroo, Yet man is born to trouble as surely as sparks fly upward(Job 5:7), then comes to his senses, remembers who he is and who his Father is and finds that God is his ever present help in times of trouble and not some entity outside of himself bringing trouble upon him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 06:19 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,980,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Why do some of you have such a low view of God? How could God who is infinite goodness be remotely related to the murder of children? DO you realize that the primitive barbaric men from that era humanize God?
I have a higher view of God because I believe God is working ALL together for good. I would never humanize Him. I might from time to time anthropomorphize Him as the Bible does from time to time but, no, I would never have a low view of God.
Quote:
The story paints God as a frivolous God
No it doesn't. You personally and wrongly think that but the book of Job does not portray Him as frivolous.

Quote:
who simply makes a Bet with Satan as though is Satan was someone that important. And, yes in this story God comes out as a killer of children. But, you somehow rationalize this murders.
Sure, uhuh, the whole point to take away from Job is God is frivolous, makes bets and kills children. It's people like you who turn people into atheists.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You might as well posted "if you do not believe what i do you are believing wrong" . Could you at least have a go at explaining what it possibly could have been Job was fearing and give your reason why it was not the woes he was experiencing at the time he said "that which i greatly fear came is come upon me" ?.
Job feared his adult sons and adult daughters might have sinned and scorned God:

Job 1:5 And it came to be when the feast days were concluded, that Job would send and have them hallowed. He would rise early in the morning and offer up ascent offerings in number as them all. For Job said, Perhaps my sons have sinned and have scorned Elohim in their heart. Thus Job was doing for all these days.

He thought if they did sin and scorned God in their heart during their party that bad would come.

He wrongly thought that the fear he feared concerning his adult sons and daughters had come true and that one of them had done a sin or scorned God and thought initially that that is why all the evil. That's all.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:39 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

Sure, uhuh, the whole point to take away from Job is God is frivolous, makes bets and kills children. It's people like you who turn people into atheists.
There is serious important message which can be delivered without taking the book literally. If the book is allegoric the children do not get killed. That is the point! I do not deny the theological significance of the book of Job.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:40 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,350,015 times
Quote:
Job feared his adult sons and adult daughters might have sinned and scorned God:

You just said you do not humanize God and now you say God is scorned!!!!!!!!

Old 11-16-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:

Job 1:5 And it came to be when the feast days were concluded, that Job would send and have them hallowed. He would rise early in the morning and offer up ascent offerings in number as them all. For Job said, Perhaps my sons have sinned and have scorned Elohim in their heart. Thus Job was doing for all these days.

He thought if they did sin and scorned God in their heart during their party that bad would come.

He wrongly thought that the fear he feared concerning his adult sons and daughters had come true and that one of them had done a sin or scorned God and thought initially that that is why all the evil. That's all.
No Eusebius, he was right in his fears, he by faith in the wrong thing brought about the the things that he feared. If God is doing what you believe, faith is totally pointless, because we have no idea how to appropriate it, never knowing whether our faith is accordance with his lunatic ways you ascribe to.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
You just said you do not humanize God and now you say God is scorned!!!!!!!!
Read what I wrote again. I never said God was scorned.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
No Eusebius, he was right in his fears, he by faith in the wrong thing brought about the the things that he feared. If God is doing what you believe, faith is totally pointless, because we have no idea how to appropriate it, never knowing whether our faith is accordance with his lunatic ways you ascribe to.
That's just not true. God said Job was righteous like no other man on earth. He didn't deserve anything that came upon him.

Since Job is a type of Christ, I would not say Christ got the beatings, spit on and crucified because He feared it might happen. Christ too was righteous like no one on the earth and did not deserve what came upon Him. You just read too much into the Bible.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:08 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,948,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djmagnum View Post
A man who is better then me, according to the book of Job didn't get a fair deal, whether we like to admit it or not. It shows Gods sovereignty and shouldn't be questioned. I get all of this. But this makes me not able to trust God. Even if I lived a good life, he can still choose to bring trouble. People say God doesn't cause evil, but in this story the devil was obeying God in carrying out disaster to Job, and not taking responsibility. But in reality that is the exact same thing. And I think about how our punishment in the end times is going to be horrible. How can I love someone, someone who claims he is love itself and not have my needs or comforts met? How do we live in love and peace knowing that our trust, hope, faith, works won't save us from trouble in this life. It's a dark side
Your thinking is backwards God knew Job would endure the suffering and put his faith and trust in the Lord. The devil on the other hand is saying it is easy to endure things when times are easy and so the reason for the testing by God. The devil was fooled, thinking no way Job would last through this pain and suffering and yet Job's return was more

Old 11-16-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
That's just not true. God said Job was righteous like no other man on earth. He didn't deserve anything that came upon him.

Since Job is a type of Christ, I would not say Christ got the beatings, spit on and crucified because He feared it might happen. Christ too was righteous like no one on the earth and did not deserve what came upon Him. You just read too much into the Bible.
Don't you believe there are none righteous?.

David was a man after God's own heart if you want to talk up bible characters, yet God did not put David through the same s**t that Job went through, David's learning was upon the hills tending the flocks and meditating upon the word of God, not being brought to his knees in distress.

Last edited by pcamps; 11-16-2014 at 07:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity