Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 08:49 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,458,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I choose to believe the Bible is inspired in its entirety.
Correct.
Translations and even copies in the original language can contain errors, but we have so many copies from so far back, that the main "errors" are seen to be spelling and do not impact teaching. The so-called contradictions are man's efforts to denigrate the Bible in favor of their own desires, and really show a lack of comprehension of scripture.

It is the Bible or man's faulty reasoning. History shows us the Bible is the best guide, especially modern history as the efforts of so called Rational man has shown tremendous irrationality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 09:28 AM

802 posts, read 455,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Not as official dogma, but privately some priests tell you a different story. Surprisingly whether all the mythology is true or not does not change anything for me and other Catholics. This is our cultural heritage and as such may be filled with exaggerations and myths.
Somehow it seems important to separate fact and fiction when building a belief system.

But I'd agree that many if not most Catholics are what are called "cultural Catholics." They just continue what their parents (or background) taught them. If one is born Catholic one stays Catholic. If one is born Protestant, one stays Protestant. Etc.

They frequently know little about Catholicism.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:36 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,369,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galileo2 View Post
Somehow it seems important to separate fact and fiction when building a belief system.

But I'd agree that many if not most Catholics are what are called "cultural Catholics." They just continue what their parents (or background) taught them. If one is born Catholic one stays Catholic. If one is born Protestant, one stays Protestant. Etc.

They frequently know little about Catholicism.
Yeah, the ones that are well versed in Catholicism tend to be very pious. Interestingly, the most famous Catholic apologists tend to be highly educated former Protestants. These guys are much better apologists than Catholics form the cradle.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:37 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,557,336 times
those things that inspire me are the inspirational???
btw it might be different for somebody else, in fact i am sure it will be

Old 12-01-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Correct.
Translations and even copies in the original language can contain errors, but we have so many copies from so far back, that the main "errors" are seen to be spelling and do not impact teaching. The so-called contradictions are man's efforts to denigrate the Bible in favor of their own desires, and really show a lack of comprehension of scripture.

It is the Bible or man's faulty reasoning. History shows us the Bible is the best guide, especially modern history as the efforts of so called Rational man has shown tremendous irrationality.
On the contrary, they do impact biblical teaching. The "virgin birth" and the physical resurrection of Christ are examples.

Of course one must question the credibility of Matthew and Luke in having the birth of Christ 10 year apart. And there is the business of Matthew having Jesus send for and ride two differentanimals of unequal size when entering Jerusalem so Matthew can claim fulfillment of a "prophecy" from the OT that he misinterpreted. Clearly, these impact teaching!

Old 12-01-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
those things that inspire me are the inspirational???
btw it might be different for somebody else, in fact i am sure it will be

Biblical inspiration is the doctrine in Christian theology that the authors and editors of the Bible were led or influenced by God with the result that their writings may be designated in some sense the word of God.

Reference: Biblical inspiration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-01-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
On the contrary, they do impact biblical teaching. The "virgin birth" and the physical resurrection of Christ are examples.

Of course one must question the credibility of Matthew and Luke in having the birth of Christ 10 year apart. And there is the business of Matthew having Jesus send for and ride two differentanimals of unequal size when entering Jerusalem so Matthew can claim fulfillment of a "prophecy" from the OT that he misinterpreted. Clearly, these impact teaching!
It has easily been explained (Again and again and again and ...) and the explanations rejected by those who do not want to accept it.

Many want to claim the Bible is of no value so their values can be dominate. That itself fulfills prophecy.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
It has easily been explained (Again and again and again and ...) and the explanations rejected by those who do not want to accept it.

Many want to claim the Bible is of no value so their values can be dominate. That itself fulfills prophecy.
Yes. Quite a few people will reject explanations that are unfounded, and logically and historically untenable. I like to think that I am one of them.

Last edited by Aristotle's Child; 12-01-2014 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-01-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Yes. Quite a few people will reject explanations that are unfounded, and logically and historically untenable. I like to think that I am one of them.
The Last line explains the problem for many.

The explanations are historically accurate, correct according to the original language meaning and application. Some can't accept being wrong.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:29 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,369,636 times
I am glad that Jesus often spoke in proverbs as well as parables(so that which is spirit and life did not get into the wrong hands), and it would not in the slightest hinder me seeking the Lord through the scriptures if it was proven what is recorded in them were not actually real events. In saying that, in my former days as a fundamentalist it would have shaken my faith to the core.

There are many who have turned atheist that were bible fundamentalists, you can dismiss that as being they were never of you or whatever other excuse you want for them walking away from bible fundamentalism, if you ask me it was faith in the wrong thing, we were deceived into believing that which proceeds from the mouth of God is the bible,a grave error in my opinion. Scripture is a sign post that when opened up to us reveals Christ and further more reveals that Christ is in us(Col 1:17).

Scripture makes more sense to me now having forsaken my fundamentalist beliefs then they ever have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity