Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 02:22 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,350,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I want to go to Heaven, rather than Hell. That's why I'm a Christian. I love Jesus and want to be with Him. As I said earlier, that doesn't mean I'm sitting on the curb waiting for Him to come get me. I'm working for Him in this life, but anticipating the next life.
OK, I hear you!

As for me, I don't worry about it. I just try to love my neighbor. What do you mean when you say "I am working for him"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 02:30 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,801,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
OK, I hear you!

As for me, I don't worry about it. I just try to love my neighbor. What do you mean when you say "I am working for him"?
In general, love God and love others. Specifically, I lead worship music, teach an adult Bible study class, make hospital visits, pray for others, etc.

Old 11-28-2014, 02:33 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,312,904 times
Quote:
I want to go to Heaven, rather than Hell. That's why I'm a Christian. I love Jesus and want to be with Him. As I said earlier, that doesn't mean I'm sitting on the curb waiting for Him to come get me. I'm working for Him in this life, but anticipating the next life.
Hell is never mentioned in the preaching of the gospel in the book of Acts. So it begs the question to those who claim the bible is not only inspired but innerant, infallible and cannot be added or taken away from, what is this gospel of being saved from hell that cannot be found in the scriptures ?.

Old 11-28-2014, 02:47 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
Quote:
So, if I don't accept Jesus' offer of salvation, because I don't want to be selfish, but I do good deeds, what is my ultimate fate?
You get a Stay Out Of Hell card!

Old 11-28-2014, 03:05 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,875,129 times
Quote:
You mean this?

Romans 10:9

If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
Why do you think that verse was inspired?

Ignoring the fact that it means nothing in its context, to people not already familiar with many other parts of the New Testament.
It doesn't say what they are supposedly save *from*.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:11 PM

802 posts, read 454,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
They picked books from the apostolic era. Since the Church was Catholic, the books are a gift to the Sola Scriptura folks.

If Ralph lived in that era he could have done the job.
Lets take another approach,

" For all the books which the Church receives as sacred and canonical, are written wholly and entirely, with all their parts, at the dictation of the Holy Ghost; and so far is it from being possible that any error can co-exist with inspiration, that inspiration not only is essentially incompatible with error, but excludes and rejects it as absolutely and necessarily as it is impossible that God Himself, the supreme Truth, can utter that which is not true."

Is this true of all "inspired" scripture?

Or does God make "infallible" errors"

Old 11-28-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Hell is never mentioned in the preaching of the gospel in the book of Acts. So it begs the question to those who claim the bible is not only inspired but innerant, infallible and cannot be added or taken away from, what is this gospel of being saved from hell that cannot be found in the scriptures ?.
Whatever you call it, I don't want to go there!

Matthew 25:41

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

Rev. 20

11 Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. From his presence earth and sky fled away, and no place was found for them. 12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Then another book was opened, which is the book of life. And the dead were judged by what was written in the books, according to what they had done. 13 And the sea gave up the dead who were in it, Death and Hades gave up the dead who were in them, and they were judged, each one of them, according to what they had done. 14 Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. 15 And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Why do you think that verse was inspired?

Ignoring the fact that it means nothing in its context, to people not already familiar with many other parts of the New Testament.
It doesn't say what they are supposedly save *from*.
It's inspired because it was written by an apostle.

Romans 5:9

9 Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:21 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,312,904 times
Quote:
It's inspired because it was written by an apostle.

Romans 5:9

9 Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God.
Why does the wrath of God to equate to hell Jimmie ?.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Why does the wrath of God to equate to hell Jimmie ?.
Well, Rev. 20 is a good place to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity