Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 07:36 PM

37,343 posts, read 28,415,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
Show me the many OP's on here where Christians are obsessing about anything at all. No. It is the atheists that are totally obsessed with matters of Christianity and the OP's bear this out.
You are obviously reading this forum with your eyes shut.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:39 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,130,932 times
Quote:
Why are atheists so obsessed with the Bible, God, Christ, Christians, and Christianity? Just look at the OP posts on this little forum. Nearly every OP is on whereby an atheists asks "Why would God?, Why do Christians?, Why is God so mean?, A Question for Christians."

Since atheists do not believe in God, the Christ, the Bible, Christianity, and apparently believe Christians are the most ignorant people on earth, why such an obsession with matters of Christians and Christianity among atheists. Don't they have anything better on which to spend their time and vent their hatred? It's totally pathetic.
First: Although I do not believe in a supreme being and do not practice a religion I dislike the label 'atheist' because it leads people to make incorrect assumptions.

I happen to find the Bible to be a fascinating record of the evolution of religious thought. When I engage in debates about the Bible it involves what I see as the reasons the authors wrote the way they did and what they intended the reader to understand. If someone has different opinions on those matters, that is fine by me. But there is no hatred involved. And to the credit of believers only on a few rare occasions has there been any rancor directed my way.

On other sites I have actually been attacked for not 'hating Christianity'. But happily this place is less emotionally polarized. I agree that there are some here that operate mostly in challenge mode. But I do not see it happening to the degree that the OP seems to think.

However I will repeat a suggestion I have made before. There ought to be a forum where (a) the existence of God is assumed and (b) the Bible is taken to be a valid reference source. That is, a place where Christians can discuss/debate among themselves and anyone who does not want to abide by the ground rules is not welcome. I have seen that work rather well elsewhere.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:43 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,486,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
To counter tour question why do churches get involved in trying to ban same sex marriage, abortion rights or what is taught in schools? To me that is more meddling than commenting on this forum.

Well duhhhh, it IS this forum we are discussing. What churches do is of no concern on here. The idea in discussion is why are atheists so overly obsessed with something they swear does not exist. I think we have narrowed it down to a mental disorder though.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:46 PM

9,444 posts, read 6,617,228 times
I think that most Christians and most Atheists simply don't address the issue on CD. Those who do seem to be fanatics and bullies. They enjoy feeling superior and self righteous or more intelligent.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Thinker View Post
First: Although I do not believe in a supreme being and do not practice a religion I dislike the label 'atheist' because it leads people to make incorrect assumptions.

I happen to find the Bible to be a fascinating record of the evolution of religious thought. When I engage in debates about the Bible it involves what I see as the reasons the authors wrote the way they did and what they intended the reader to understand. If someone has different opinions on those matters, that is fine by me. But there is no hatred involved. And to the credit of believers only on a few rare occasions has there been any rancor directed my way.

On other sites I have actually been attacked for not 'hating Christianity'. But happily this place is less emotionally polarized. I agree that there are some here that operate mostly in challenge mode. But I do not see it happening to the degree that the OP seems to think.

However I will repeat a suggestion I have made before. There ought to be a forum where (a) the existence of God is assumed and (b) the Bible is taken to be a valid reference source. That is, a place where Christians can discuss/debate among themselves and anyone who does not want to abide by the ground rules is not welcome. I have seen that work rather well elsewhere.
I agree that it should work for the best but from my own experience I have seen many Christian forums fall to ruin by atheists who hijack each and every thread to promote their own self-imagined superior intelligence and to curse and bash God. I have personally found most all atheists to perceive that they alone are the final intelligence in all matters. It's an ego-feeding frenzy whenever an atheist encounters a stage whereby he can seize the lime lite and showcase himself.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You are obviously reading this forum with your eyes shut.
Feel free to open them for me. I see the OP's just as you see them.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:51 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,266,795 times
Quote:
Well duhhhh, it IS this forum we are discussing. What churches do is of no concern on here. The idea in discussion is why are atheists so overly obsessed with something they swear does not exist. I think we have narrowed it down to a mental disorder though.
Because what some people are pushing in real life (their personal religious beliefs) has an effect on my life. You want to believe in whatever? Great. When those beliefs intrude into my life, we have an issue.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You must have missed the numerous posts made by the CD fundamentalists describing the mechanics of gay sex.
I probably missed a whole lot of OP's in the past. I'm speaking of right now. Look at the OP's on the forum right now.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:52 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,383,036 times
Quote:
Why are they concerned even with fundies? If the atheist is a non-be;iever and hater of all things Christian, why does he even bother with the fundies? Sounds totally stupid to me.
There are fundies in many religion and sometimes they cause trouble. The recent massacre in Paris comes to mind. And do not forget 9-11.

Fundamentalists can cause a lot of problems and it all started in the OT with genocide and the killing of children in the name of God. And do not forget the Crusades and the Inquisition.

Any time a very religious person uses God as an excuse for hate there is a problem. FOr example fundies dislike homosexuals and want school to teach creation.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Because what some people are pushing in real life (their personal religious beliefs) has an effect on my life. You want to believe in whatever? Great. When those beliefs intrude into my life, we have an issue.
Tell me how. Are you a child? I'm a grown man and what folks believe affects me in no way at all. How does this forum effect you or how does what some Christian on this forum thinks effect you. I think you protest too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity