Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 09:03 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,613,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Do you understand what an opinion is? There is no Biblical reference for my opinion, because well, it's my opinion. It's an observation that I have made. There are people who do not believe in the Bible who have responded and agree that my point has validity. This isn't about the Bible, this is about an observation.
So, this is an exercise for a school project. Your christian opinions are not based on biblical knowledge

I am enjoying the irony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 09:12 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,980,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
So, this is an exercise for a school project. Your christian opinions are not based on biblical knowledge

I am enjoying the irony.
ok. Moving on.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:22 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,613,186 times
Quote:
ok. Moving on.
Interesting for a man who approaches total strangers to evangelize, has yet to give biblical verse or parable.

I'm thinking sociology experiment? You probably did the whole free hug thing, or take a can. The internet makes it easy for other kinds of engagement for school projects.

Here, allow me to assist you in a biblical reference as you seem to be adrift.

Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have put off the old self with its practices -- --- Colossians

Last edited by RonkonkomaNative; 02-18-2015 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: adding.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:27 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,570,234 times
Quote:
You are making my point. This doesn't necessary mean that Christianity is flawed, it means that these people are incapable of following clear teaching. You even said it yourself, that Jesus taught against those things, so if people actions aren't consistent with the teachings, then who fault is that? Is that the teaching that is flawed or the people?
That's right. humans are not "flawed", they are human. For me, I always go to a person. "things" are not accountable, people are. As long as people blame things like fire, cars, and religion the true problems will never be solved.

The other major mistake people make is not trying to look from any other perspective then from earth's surface. The average iq is around 105. "earth bound 105's", yep they know all right. Literalist can't think any different than a horse can think what it means to be a cat. People blame "things" because they think that what they "see" is all there is.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Interesting for a man who approaches total strangers to evangelize, has yet to give biblical verse or parable.

I'm thinking sociology experiment? You probably did the whole free hug thing, or take a can. The internet makes it easy for other kinds of engagement for school projects.

Here, allow me to assist you in a biblical reference as you seem to be adrift.

Do not lie to one another, seeing that you have put off the old self with its practices -- --- Colossians
ok

Old 02-18-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
That's right. humans are not "flawed", they are human. For me, I always go to a person. "things" are not accountable, people are. As long as people blame things like fire, cars, and religion the true problems will never be solved.

The other major mistake people make is not trying to look from any other perspective then from earth's surface. The average iq is around 105. "earth bound 105's", yep they know all right. Literalist can't think any different than a horse can think what it means to be a cat. People blame "things" because they think that what they "see" is all there is.
Well that's just the thing, if you have been taught that a certain religion, like Christianity, is wrong and the things they do are evil then that's your perspective. These same individuals may not have seen good examples of what Christians are supposed to be either. So their idea of what it is, is also going to be limited to what they see.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:46 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,172,280 times
My beef(s) with Christianity has little to do with the behaviour of its adherents and much with the behaviour of the insane, disgusting biblical God.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:51 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,091 times
Seems to me the common flawed arguement against Christianity is the exact same one that Christians use against non believers or people from other religions. Islamic extremists, Stalin and Mao are examples of people behaving rather badly that some Christians have used to show that Islam is a violent terrible religion or that atheists are immoral. Read the Islam forum for examples and some of the posts I have read in other atheists forums.

It is not a flawed arguement or I guess counter arguement, when the Christian (or Muslim or atheist) is claiming that their belief or lack of belief is morally better and uses the actions of members of their group behaving exceptionally well to prove it. For that purpose of a counter arguement it is valid IMHO.

In summary some people from all groups use it against those they disagre with, and wrong as it may be, it is not exclusively used against Christians. You may only notice it more due to your being a Christian.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
My beef(s) with Christianity has little to do with the behaviour of its adherents and much with the behaviour of the insane, disgusting biblical God.
If that were true, then you would never describe people as Fundamentalists. You would just focus on God.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Seems to me the common flawed arguement against Christianity is the exact same one that Christians use against non believers or people from other religions. Islamic extremists, Stalin and Mao are examples of people behaving rather badly that some Christians have used to show that Islam is a violent terrible religion or that atheists are immoral. Read the Islam forum for examples and some of the posts I have read in other atheists forums.

It is not a flawed arguement or I guess counter arguement, when the Christian (or Muslim or atheist) is claiming that their belief or lack of belief is morally better and uses the actions of members of their group behaving exceptionally well to prove it. For that purpose of a counter arguement it is valid IMHO.

In summary some people from all groups use it against those they disagre with, and wrong as it may be, it is not exclusively used against Christians. You may only notice it more due to your being a Christian.
I never suggested that it was. Look at the language that I used in my OP:

Quote:
I rarely hear that argument for what others belief systems [are], only for the belief system they disagree with.
Isn't that essentially what you said here?

And the problem with your first point is again, you are using a select group of individuals to prove a point. It doesn't address Christianity, it just addresses the people who claim it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity