Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 11:32 AM

18,502 posts, read 9,172,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Is that the one that is supposed to be better than Pumpkin Peach Ale?
They have both in hell.

Anyone have a proof text for that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 12:58 PM

335 posts, read 220,040 times
This is a good thread. This is what the Bible says. If you guys are disagreeing with this than it must be because you and all your friends love to sin and be rebellious to God.

Think of it this way.

You have a friend who went to your house when you were at work. He flirts with your girlfriend, takes some of your money and eats some of your food then leaves. When you got home, your girlfriend told you what happened and you became angry at your friend. So you call him and confront him about his sins against you.

He says to you, "I'm really sorry, I feel horrible, I'm such a sinner, please forgive me, I repent. I put my trust in the fact that you are very forgiving and merciful"
So, you forgive your friend.

The next day, while you are at work, your friend returns again. This time he makes out with your girlfriend, wears your clothes, lays in your bed and watches tv while your girlfriend brings him lunch in bed.

You come home, notice his underwear on the floor, the crumbs all over the bed and you discover what went on.

So again, you confront your friend. He says, "Hey, you caught me, im really sorry, i wont do it again. I put my trust in the fact that you are very forgiving and merciful"
So you forgive your friend again.

The next day, the same thing happens, and the next day and the next day. In fact it happens every single day. Your girlfriend spends every moment with your friend while you are at work. They take your money and have all kinds of fun and go on all kinds of adventures. Then when you get home she is always tired and just wants to sleep.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me ask you this. Is your friend actually sorry for his sins against you? Are his actions truly forgivable?

Old 02-20-2015, 01:23 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john233 View Post
This is a good thread. This is what the Bible says. If you guys are disagreeing with this than it must be because you and all your friends love to sin and be rebellious to God.

Think of it this way.

You have a friend who went to your house when you were at work. He flirts with your girlfriend, takes some of your money and eats some of your food then leaves. When you got home, your girlfriend told you what happened and you became angry at your friend. So you call him and confront him about his sins against you.

He says to you, "I'm really sorry, I feel horrible, I'm such a sinner, please forgive me, I repent. I put my trust in the fact that you are very forgiving and merciful"

The next day, while you are at work, your friend returns again. This time he makes out with your girlfriend, wears your clothes, lays in your bed and watches tv while your girlfriend brings him lunch in bed.

You come home, notice his underwear on the floor, the crumbs all over the bed and you discover what went on.

So again, you confront your friend. He says, "Hey, you caught me, im really sorry, i wont do it again. I put my trust in the fact that you are very forgiving and merciful"

The next day, the same thing happens, and the next day and the next day. In fact it happens every single day. Your girlfriend spends every moment with your friend while you are at work. They take your money and have all kinds of fun and go on all kinds of adventures. Then when you get home she is always tired and just wants to sleep.

Let me ask you this. Is your friend actually sorry for his sins against you? Are his actions truly forgivable?
Interesting... change the girlfriend into the wife and you just about got the book of Hosea. Hosea had a prostitute wife and the Lord instructed him to go after her and get her even though she violated her marriage covenant. The Lord's point to Israel through Hosea was that the nation repeatedly forsook the Lord - yet the Lord continued to honor the covenant He made.

Today, God's covenant to His people is sealed with our receipt of the Holy Spirit. He will not break His covenant with us even when we are not faithful. That's His character.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Today, God's covenant to His people is sealed with our receipt of the Holy Spirit. He will not break His covenant with us even when we are not faithful. That's His character.
Yes I agree with you. But I think we disagree on who actually has and lives by the Holy Spirit. It will be evident by the fact that they have turned from the ways of the flesh.

Matthew 18:15-17 “If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses. If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector."

If a brother sins and you correct him, he will turn from his ways or else he was never actually a brother.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:07 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,974,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Are the people of Hebrews 6 vs 4-6 sealed ?__________ or is it ' impossible ' for them?
If one proves unfaithful by committing the ' unforgivable sin ' of Matthew 12:32; Mark 3:29 is he sealed ?

Old 02-20-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Yes I agree with you. But I think we disagree on who actually has and lives by the Holy Spirit. It will be evident by the fact that they have turned from the ways of the flesh.

Matthew 18:15-17 “If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses. If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector."

If a brother sins and you correct him, he will turn from his ways or else he was never actually a brother.
Not necessarily... what you describe is what should happen, but it's not a hard rule. God remains faithful. Salvation is more about God's character than our character.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Are the people of Hebrews 6 vs 4-6 sealed ?__________ or is it ' impossible ' for them?
If one proves unfaithful by committing the ' unforgivable sin ' of Matthew 12:32; Mark 3:29 is he sealed ?
Most people reading Hebrews 6, stop at verse 6. You need to go to verse 8.

Hebrews 6:4-8 - For in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6 and then have fallen away, it is impossible to renew them again to repentance, since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God and put Him to open shame. 7 For ground that drinks the rain which often falls on it and brings forth vegetation useful to those for whose sake it is also tilled, receives a blessing from God; 8 but if it yields thorns and thistles, it is worthless and close to being cursed, and it ends up being burned.

Verse 6 does NOT say those people are not saved... it does NOT say they have lost their salvation. It just says His death is applied to us one time. It is impossible to be applied again.

When you keep reading to verse 8, you see that those people are close to being cursed, but are NOT cursed. They are just burned. That is the judgment seat of Christ that is described in 1 Corinthians 3 that believers will endure after this life on earth.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:03 PM

I think that once in a while, Christians may sin. But that is not the norm. If it is the norm for you, you are not a Christian.

Repentance, crucifying the flesh, being born again, picking up your cross and following Christ etc...
These all speak about the process of turning from your sins. It is the very foundation of the faith.

"Trusting in Christ" while continuing sin is not the foundation of the faith.

Repenting, turning from your sin and trusting in Christ is the foundation of the faith.

Hebrews 6 "Therefore let us leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, 2 and of instruction about washings,[a] the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment. 3 And this we will do if God permits. 4 For it is impossible, in the case of those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, and have shared in the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6 and then have fallen away, to restore them again to repentance, since they are crucifying once again the Son of God to their own harm and holding him up to contempt."

Old 02-20-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
I think that once in a while, Christians may sin. But that is not the norm. If it is the norm for you, you are not a Christian.

Repentance, crucifying the flesh, being born again, picking up your cross and following Christ etc...
These all speak about the process of turning from your sins. It is the very foundation of the faith.

"Trusting in Christ" while continuing sin is not the foundation of the faith.

Repenting, turning from your sin and trusting in Christ is the foundation of the faith.

Hebrews 6 "Therefore let us leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, 2 and of instruction about washings,[a] the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment. 3 And this we will do if God permits. 4 For it is impossible, in the case of those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, and have shared in the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6 and then have fallen away, to restore them again to repentance, since they are crucifying once again the Son of God to their own harm and holding him up to contempt."
Again - I agree it should be the norm. But I will not say those who are in that category are 100% unsaved.

That's all.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:54 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
Quote:

Think of it this way.

After the second offense, I wouldn't have that friend, or that girlfriend.

Or any further problems along those lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity