Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 12:26 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,697,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post
That the gospel has become illegitimate in America is correct. TV preachers in the 1980's began to make it so and are continuing to make a carnival act out of it to this day. Theologians and Christian writers such as Francis Schaeffer and Malcolm Muggeridge agree on this point.

In the United States many have been led astray by false shepherds. They have the form of religion, but deny the power of it.

"If there is a decay of conscience, the pulpit is responsible for it. If the public press lacks moral discernment, the pulpit is responsible for it. If the church is degenerate and worldly, the pulpit is responsible for it. If the world loses its interest in Christianity, the pulpit is responsible for it. If Satan rules in our halls of legislation, the pulpit is responsible for it. If our politics become so corrupt that their very foundations of our government are ready to fall away, the pulpit is responsible for it."
- Charles Finney

Why is it that the closer I get to Christ, the farther I seem from church?

and that's me, hollering from the choir loft...
Quote:
Originally Posted by john233 View Post
Praise be to God for the wisdom He has blessed you with
Amen, totally agree with you about Choir Loft post !! Also may I humbly say that your post are just as bless with the wisdom of our Lord God also !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Ainasoja View Post
But also must add this, that I see in this tread some charismatic influence, which is not the way of the Spirit, but the way of the flesh.

Beware all kind of charismatic way's, they do not represent the way of the Lord.

Be holy, as God is holy.
Mikko, Amen !
Yes the flesh is so deceiving and one (all of us) should always keep themselves checked through the Holy Spirit to make sure their hearts line up with the will and love of God, amen !!

BLESSING'S TO ALL OF YOU !
It is so wonderful to read the post of men in whom God has sent here to speak on behalf of our God and to be a testimony of His will for all to know !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 12:30 AM

335 posts, read 219,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
None of that makes sense. Why make the relationship with God obscure and difficult? Your parable really fell short, and the above reads more like a quatrain.

There is no real effort to connect. Every thing means something else. Layer upon layer between you and God. One misstep and your a goner. What purpose does that serve?
I don't see it as difficult or obscure. Though it does fall short in some ways, but I see it like this:

If you really are God's friend, then stop sinning against Him. Sin and the flesh are wicked and leads you and the people in your life to destruction. Love God, love His ways and love people enough to become a mature Spiritual being. We are supposed to be like God, He gives us what we need to make that happen because He loves us. It's not all about us, there is alot of work to do in this short life. A lot of people who need guidance and need encouragement. The sinful mind is self centered and cannot please God. We have to reject our flesh and become holy like God is holy.

If you claim to follow Jesus, then actually follow Him. You first have to stop your sinning before you can move on to the greater things. The greater faith, the greater works which save people from perishing.

Don't run around and try to save people from perishing while you yourself are still perishing. That is what a hypocrite is. Just repent and actually turn from wickedness and He will draw near to you and guide your steps, He will prune you as a gardener prunes a tree to make it more fruitful.

The alternative is that you take advantage of Him and His mercy. That will not benefit you or anyone else.
Do what is good simply because it is good.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:27 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hezakial Malanoch View Post
What do you have against the Word of God?
Nothing. It is his followers I am not so fond of and their continued interpretation that we are all broken despondent pieces of trash just sitting around waiting for LORD JESUS to come down from the sky and kick some evil ARSE.

There are some who see the BEAUTY in this world and are warriors against oppression and discrimination here on earth and are constantly running up against the DOOMS-DAY WHOA IS ME mentality.
There aren't many contemporary Christian writes or preachers that are worth quoting, but one such person is Tony Campolo. He refuses to see the DOOMS DAY purpose sop many fundamentalists preach which seems to be--REPENT OFTEN AND ALWAYS and should you smile of laugh, you are EVIL and of this world...
If we believe Genesis, GOD CREATED THIS WORLD and while the concept of "heaven" is not of this world, the idea that this world belongs to some goat headed demon really seems to be an INSULT to God.

Man has taken this image of evil and given it a face, much as we have done fore Jesus. We have depicted satan as being DARK and BLACK, with horns and fire and eyes that glow. Seriously, how can any image this terrifying TEMPT anyone? Personally, most people would turn and run as fast as they could to get away from this "beast."
While Jesus is depicted as being CAUCASIAN, BLUE-EYED and the best looking man on earth. Just the image people would want to be associated with and cling to as a saviour. Literally, the GREAT WHITE HOPE.

So we as a people already realize that to be successful and attract others, one has to be appealing in appearance whereas evil is grotesque and repulsive...(so why is evil so successful?)

When did Jesus become this BLUE-EYED BLONDE caucasian?

So many people see the institution of christianity as a self-serving club where a group of society's elite (or those who think they are the up-and-coming elite) gather and translate a book that is suppose to tell people suffering and misery is our loot in this life and 10% tithing will help alleviate this and make us feel better.

The Bible is a book just as the flag is just cloth. Neither is the absolute definition of their respective concept.

38 As he taught, Jesus said, “Watch out for the teachers of the law. They like to walk around in flowing robes and be greeted with respect in the marketplaces,
39 and have the most important seats in the synagogues and the places of honor at banquets.
40 They devour widows’ houses and for a show make lengthy prayers. These men will be punished most severely.
â€

Old 02-21-2015, 08:59 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,313,737 times
Quote:
I don't see it as difficult or obscure. Though it does fall short in some ways, but I see it like this:

If you really are God's friend, then stop sinning against Him. Sin and the flesh are wicked and leads you and the people in your life to destruction. Love God, love His ways and love people enough to become a mature Spiritual being. We are supposed to be like God, He gives us what we need to make that happen because He loves us. It's not all about us, there is alot of work to do in this short life. A lot of people who need guidance and need encouragement. The sinful mind is self centered and cannot please God. We have to reject our flesh and become holy like God is holy.

If you claim to follow Jesus, then actually follow Him. You first have to stop your sinning before you can move on to the greater things. The greater faith, the greater works which save people from perishing.

Don't run around and try to save people from perishing while you yourself are still perishing. That is what a hypocrite is. Just repent and actually turn from wickedness and He will draw near to you and guide your steps, He will prune you as a gardener prunes a tree to make it more fruitful.

The alternative is that you take advantage of Him and His mercy. That will not benefit you or anyone else.
I believe that we do not receive the Holy Ghost until we have a mind to OBEY HIM. The Apostles said in Acts 5:32 that God gives the holy ghost to those who obey him.

If we truly love Jesus, we will keep His commandments. We must then grow in holiness. We cannot sit back passively and say that we believe and so we will not lose our salvation whatever we do. That doctrine has deceived multitudes of people who think they are on the way to obtaining eternal life.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Nothing. It is his followers I am not so fond of and their continued interpretation that we are all broken despondent pieces of trash just sitting around waiting for LORD JESUS to come down from the sky and kick some evil ARSE.

There are some who see the BEAUTY in this world and are warriors against oppression and discrimination here on earth and are constantly running up against the DOOMS-DAY WHOA IS ME mentality.
There aren't many contemporary Christian writes or preachers that are worth quoting, but one such person is Tony Campolo. He refuses to see the DOOMS DAY purpose sop many fundamentalists preach which seems to be--REPENT OFTEN AND ALWAYS and should you smile of laugh, you are EVIL and of this world...
If we believe Genesis, GOD CREATED THIS WORLD and while the concept of "heaven" is not of this world, the idea that this world belongs to some goat headed demon really seems to be an INSULT to God.
[/b][/color]â€
Life is beautiful friend. And we are not to be pitied. The person to be pitied is the man who continues in his sin, believing he has "eternal life" yet his conversion and repentance is false. When you are born again, you repent of your sins, which means stop doing them.

If you have not done that, then you must stop what you are doing and truly repent. Do not even consider yourself a Christian until your repentance is complete. Once it is complete, then you can worry about removing the speck in another brothers eye.

Old 02-21-2015, 12:22 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
Quote:

I do not sin. There is no wickedness in my life. I have an easy simple relationship. I do not fear heaven or hell.

I totally crush on Jesus the man. He must have been quite the radical. I like what he stood for. He was poor ministering to the poor. Nothing I see in the current state of evangelism has anything to do with Jesus. Jesus was a poor simple man.

Again. Your faith is rife with meaningless sayings. Honestly it is obscure.

Old 02-21-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I do not sin. There is no wickedness in my life. I have an easy simple relationship. I do not fear heaven or hell.

I totally crush on Jesus the man. He must have been quite the radical. I like what he stood for. He was poor ministering to the poor. Nothing I see in the current state of evangelism has anything to do with Jesus. Jesus was a poor simple man.

Again. Your faith is rife with meaningless sayings. Honestly it is obscure.
If the parable is a stumbling block to you, then forget it. If you truly do not submit to the wickedness that is natural to the flesh and you do not love the world and its ways, but instead have been born-again and love the ways of God and choose to live by the Spirit, then praise be to our Lord for you are my brother. Yet, just to be sure, read what God has said on sin, wickedness and the flesh.

Matthew 5:27
“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ 28 But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Matthew 5:21
“You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.’ 22 But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the fire of hell.

Matthew 5:38
“You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ 39 But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. 40 And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. 41 And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. 42 Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you.

Matthew 5:43
“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47 And if you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? 48 You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Ephesians 6:22-23
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law."

1 Corinthians 13:4-7
"Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5 or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; 6 it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. 7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things."

John 15:13
"Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends."
[/i]

Galatians 5:19
"Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, 21 envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God."

James 1:1-4
"What causes quarrels and what causes fights among you? Is it not this, that your passions are at war within you? 2 You desire and do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have, because you do not ask. 3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions. 4 You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.

Luke 9:23-25
And he said to all, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. 24 For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. 25 For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses or forfeits himself?

1 Corinthians 6:9-10
Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, 10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Matthew 7:12
“So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.
13 “Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. 14 For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.

Matthew 7:21
21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

2 Timothy 3
But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. 2 For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, 4 treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, 5 having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people.

1 John 1:5
This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin. 8 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

1 John 2:15
Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride of life—is not from the Father but is from the world. 17 And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever.

1 John 2:9
Whoever says he is in the light and hates his brother is still in darkness. 10 Whoever loves his brother abides in the light, and in him there is no cause for stumbling. 11 But whoever hates his brother is in the darkness and walks in the darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

Last edited by john233; 02-21-2015 at 12:55 PM..

Old 02-21-2015, 01:14 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
Quote:
If the parable is a stumbling block to you, then forget it. If you truly do not submit to the wickedness that is natural to the flesh and you do not love the world and its ways, but instead have been born-again and love the ways of God and choose to live by the Spirit, then praise be to our Lord for you are my brother. Yet, just to be sure, read what God has said on sin, wickedness and the flesh...................
Thank you for that read. I have no problem doing no harm to others.

Adultery, lusting, stealing, coveting, murder, cursing, hitting, fornicating, wickedness, idolatry, and drunkenness are not part of my life and never have been.

Not sinning, does not make me perfect. My imperfections are not evil. They are not sins. It is the flaw of Christianity.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:22 PM

1 John 1:8
If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Old 02-21-2015, 02:38 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Good technical writing cannot be misinterpreted.

God should have taken a technical writing course before he wrote the bible. If he wants his creatures to avoid his eternal wrath, why didn't he communicate his message in a way that could not be misinterpreted by fallen humans?

Instead we have a long confusing bible which is subject to interpretation. And 10,000+ Christian denominations as a result.

It's all very confusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity