Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2015, 12:43 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,281,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Christ... The word/message/spirit of God who is love ... is available to all, and recognizable by the good fruit it produces.
Right on, Pleroo! I know Christ because I have seen people feed the hungry and visit the lonely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 12:45 PM

64,027 posts, read 40,331,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Christ... The word/message/spirit of God who is love ... is available to all, and recognizable by the good fruit it produces.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Right on, Pleroo! I know Christ because I have seen people feed the hungry and visit the lonely.

Old 02-28-2015, 12:45 PM

335 posts, read 221,025 times
Quote:
Is that how you got all your knowledge of Christianity?

Old 02-28-2015, 12:56 PM

Let's say I were to hold your view that the Bible is not to be trusted. So if I am reading a passage, how do I know what to toss out the window? The "pure agape love" rule of thumb?

I can tell you the entire Bible is full of things I would not know if I didn't have it.
Even if I heard the name Christ and believed He was God, I still wouldn't know anything.

The Old Testament tells us everything about the gospel, God and God's plan for man. I recommend you take the time to understand it.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:06 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,439,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john233 View Post
Let's say I were to hold your view that the Bible is not to be trusted.
What do you mean by "not to be trusted"?

Quote:
So if I am reading a passage, how do I know what to toss out the window? The "pure agape love" rule of thumb?
Yes.
Quote:
I can tell you the entire Bible is full of things I would not know if I didn't have it.
Sure. But there are also things within the bible that you can know without it.

Quote:
Even if I heard the name Christ and believed He was God, I still wouldn't know anything.
My point was that knowing Christ is not about knowing a name. Its about knowing the nature that the name represents.

Quote:
The Old Testament tells us everything about the gospel, God and God's plan for man. I recommend you take the time to understand it.
I dedicated the bulk of my life to understanding the bible. This is where I have landed.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:11 PM

64,027 posts, read 40,331,746 times
Quote:
Let's say I were to hold your view that the Bible is not to be trusted. So if I am reading a passage, how do I know what to toss out the window? The "pure agape love" rule of thumb?
That is your repeated misstatement of the view of the Bible you oppose. The Bible is to be trusted . . . just NOT everything in it. Yes the Spirit of agape love is the Spirit of God and IS the absolute standard by which truth is tested. It is NOT a mere rule of thumb. Christ achieved and demonstrated PERFECT AGAPE LOVE for us all . . . even His torturers and murderers. That is WHY He is the Truth, the Life and the Way!

Last edited by MysticPhD; 02-28-2015 at 01:37 PM..

Old 02-28-2015, 01:18 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,281,476 times
Quote:
Is that how you got all your knowledge of Christianity?
"All" of my knowledge? Lol... I'm still learning. Life is one big adventure in learning. I don't claim to know it all.

Do you?

Last edited by DewDropInn; 02-28-2015 at 01:32 PM..

Old 02-28-2015, 01:53 PM

The problem is, your beliefs are not Christian, your beliefs are that of a new age gnostic.
You want God to fit in a little box where He is cute and fuzzy and you can pet Him when you are bored.

You have no doctrine other than experience. This is completely contrary to Christianity and common sense which tells us our "experience/feelings" can not be trusted for divine knowledge and insight.

And I know for a fact feelings cannot be trusted, because feelings almost always have fleshly motivations.
They are dictated by a persons worldview. You cannot change your feelings without changing your perspective/worldview.
Feelings can change, God does not change.
Just drop the whole "Christ" thing already geez, embrace your faith for what it is

Ultimately, your god ends up being yourself. As your god is based upon how you feel. Saying the name Christ does not change that. Picking out what you like from what Christ said does not change that.
I will not worship a false god named Warden or Mysticphd or even john233. Because whether you like it or not, none of us are gods.

Sure Christians can disagree on minor items that are insignificant, such as full immersion baptism vs sprinkling, speaking in tongues and things of that nature. But Christians should not divide themselves over such things.

You just throw out the whole essence of Christianity completely and call it "liberal" or "progressive" when it is in fact an altogether different thing. It is whatever you want it to be. Your only source of truth is yourself, the only one you are accountable is to yourself and your ideas on morality.

Last edited by john233; 02-28-2015 at 02:07 PM..

Old 02-28-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
"All" of my knowledge? Lol... I'm still learning. Life is one big adventure in learning. I don't claim to know it all.

Do you?
No of course not. But I do claim to know where those answers are found

Old 02-28-2015, 02:07 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,439,701 times
Quote:
The problem is, your beliefs are not Christian, your beliefs are that of a new age gnostic.
The problem shouldn't be about the label you put on beliefs, but on whether or not those beliefs are consistent with love and with truth.

Quote:
You want God to fit in a little box where He is cute and fuzzy and you can pet Him when you are bored.

You have no doctrine other than experience. This is completely contrary to Christianity which tells us our "experience/feelings" can not be trusted for divine knowledge and insight.
Why is it that so many evangelical Christians, when they hear the word "love" equate it to a cute, fuzzy feeling? I don't .

Quote:
And I know for a fact feelings cannot be trusted, because feelings almost always have fleshly motivations.
They are dictated by a persons worldview. You cannot change your feelings without changing your perspective/worldview.
Feelings can change, God does not change.
Just drop the whole "Christ" thing already geez, embrace your faith for what it is

Ultimately, your god ends up being yourself. As your god is based upon how you feel. Saying the name Christ does not change that. Picking out what you like from what Christ said does not change that.
I will not worship a false god named Warden or Mysticphd or even john233. Because whether you like it or not, none of us are gods.
I'm not going to drop the Christ and you can't make me. . Seriously, those of you who have a literal view of the bible, and even Christians on the whole, don't hold the corner market on the Christ, or on the bible either, for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity