Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2015, 07:37 PM

335 posts, read 220,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
Can a Christian still go to Heaven if they've spent most of their lives indulging in their favorite sins but showed interest in becoming Born Again at the very end of their lives when they're in poor health and wanted to repent of their sins and asked Jesus Christ to become their Lord & Savior? I always thought just accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord & Savior is enough to be saved.
Yes, people can be sinful their entire lives and come to Christ at the end.
However, if this is someones plan... To reject Christ with their thoughts and actions and be disobedient to God their entire lives and indulge all of their fleshly lusts and desires and then just ask for forgiveness at the very end...
Then I think they are missing the whole point and they are taking a huge gamble. God may not allow them to repent after doing such a thing. True repentance and being born again is a gift from God, not something we can just do ourselves whenever we think it is convenient or pleasurable.

Anyone who wants to follow Christ, should want to do so because what Christ stands for is good.
They should want to do so because they want to know God and want to be pleasing and useful to God and help to bring life and love into this world and help others to find salvation.
They should do so because they want to know Christ and be made like Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit.
The Holy Spirit can change our desires and help us to become obedient to Christ, all we have to do is deny our fleshly desires and rely on the Holy Spirit.
If they just accept Christ to avoid destruction... They are missing the point.

I wouldn't recommend that course of action, because

Matthew 7:21
“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

Last edited by john233; 03-01-2015 at 08:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 07:50 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john233 View Post
I wouldn't recommend that course of action, because

Matthew 7:21
“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’
So, are you and the original poster the same person?
And do you always witness with a threat of some kind?

You won't win people over through fear tactics.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
It's just reality. I don't believe the Bible teaches eternal torment, so I do not preach fire and brimstone and neither did the Apostles.

It's just the words of Christ. It is what He is going to do on judgement day.
If someone loves their sin and the world more than God, than so be it. They will have their whole lives to enjoy themselves. But eternal life is only granted to those who love and follow Christ. People are who they choose to be. People are slaves to the master they wish to serve.

If you expect me to lie to him and say everyone is going to live forever in the Kingdom of God... Well then, you're expectations will not be met by me

Last edited by john233; 03-01-2015 at 08:06 PM..

Old 03-01-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
So, are you and the original poster the same person?
And do you always witness with a threat of some kind?

Quote:
It's just reality. I don't believe the Bible teaches eternal torment, so I do not preach fire and brimstone.

It's just the words of Christ. It is what He is going to do on judgement day.
If someone loves their sin and the world more than God, than so be it.

They will have their whole lives to enjoy themselves.
But eternal life is only granted to those who love and follow Christ.

If you expect me to lie to him and say everyone is going to live forever...
Well then, you're expectations will not be met by me.
Apparently, you prefer to avoid directly answering other questions?

As for your view of what happens to humanity?
You are entitled to it, but it doesn't make it truth.

By the way, I do not believe in Universal Reconciliation.
That would require that I believe in separation, which I don't.

However, I do believe that all will come to the knowledge of truth.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:18 PM

Mopac, if people you know are choosing to be slaves to sin, then don't be discouraged.
Study the Bible, learn what God tells us, and share the Words of God with the people you care about. Pray for them. Show them what it means to live for Christ by your actions, thoughts and words. Allow the Holy Spirit to conform you to Christ.

If you lie to the people you care about, they will never know the truth and keep on living in rebellion to Christ until the day they die. The Holy Spirit is obviously putting this on your heart for a reason, He wants to use you to further His kingdom.

Just don't go around pointing out all their sins all the time, that is not productive.
You have to show them Christ through your actions, you have to tell them that they do not have to be slaves to sin and death.
That there is a better way available to us through the power of the Holy Spirit, when we choose to be obedient to Christ.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Apparently, you prefer to avoid directly answering other questions?

As for your view of what happens to humanity?
You are entitled to it, but it doesn't make it truth.

By the way, I do not believe in Universal Reconciliation.
That would require that I believe in separation, which I don't.

However, I do believe that all will come to the knowledge of truth.
Ask yourself if your actions are productive to the kingdom of God or unproductive please brother Jerwade

Old 03-01-2015, 08:26 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:
Ask yourself if your actions are productive to the kingdom of God or unproductive please brother Jerwade
Are you a JW?

Old 03-01-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Are you a JW?
No of course not. I just don't like to say "heaven" because we live on the new earth. Not on clouds in the sky.

Revelation 21
Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. 2 And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. 4 He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”

I am not affiliated with any denomination or sect

Old 03-01-2015, 08:43 PM

Quote:
I am not a deceiver, nor am I an adversary of truth.
Neither, would I cause someone to fear God.

We are accountable, and responsible for our own actions.
Which are inclusive of our thoughts and deeds.

Innately, we have all been given a measure of knowing right from wrong.
Whether, or not, you exercise it is a choice that a person has to make for themselves.

Remember, people reap what they sow. And some will reap more than others.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
I am not a deceiver, nor am I an adversary of truth.
Neither, would I cause someone to fear God.

We are accountable, and responsible for our own actions.
Which are inclusive of our thoughts and deeds.

Innately, we have all been given a measure of knowing right from wrong.
Whether, or not, you exercise it is a choice that a person has to make for themselves.

Remember, people reap what they sow. And some will reap more than others.
I am not accusing you of being a deceiver Jerwade.

We have all been given the full knowledge of right and wrong in the Bible.
Some people just choose to ignore what God says.

God should be feared by those who are not truly in Christ.

Proverb 9:7
7Whoever corrects a scoffer gets himself abuse,
and he who reproves a wicked man incurs injury.
8 Do not reprove a scoffer, or he will hate you;
reprove a wise man, and he will love you.
9 Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be still wiser;
teach a righteous man, and he will increase in learning.
10 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom,
and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight.

11 For by me your days will be multiplied,
and years will be added to your life.
12 If you are wise, you are wise for yourself;
if you scoff, you alone will bear it.

But for those who abide in Christ, there is no more reason to fear.

1 John 4:18
18 There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.

Those who profess Christ yet reject Him in their thoughts and actions...

Hebrews 10
26 For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a fearful expectation of judgment, and a fury of fire that will consume the adversaries. 28 Anyone who has set aside the law of Moses dies without mercy on the evidence of two or three witnesses. 29 How much worse punishment, do you think, will be deserved by the one who has trampled underfoot the Son of God, and has profaned the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has outraged the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know him who said, “Vengeance is mine; I will repay.” And again, “The Lord will judge his people.” 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity