Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2015, 06:58 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,709,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Maybe. There are also those who do the works just for the appearance. There are even people who make a profession out of "working for God", but have never been saved.
Would that be kind of like that Good Samaritan who knew nothing about orthodoxy but, according to Jesus, everything about orthopraxy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 10:05 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
What makes you think they were believers at all? I'd say they probably weren't. At any rate, I believe they'll be "saved" (i.e. resurrected and welcomed into Heaven). I just believe that when Jesus Christ rewards every man according to his works, He'll look at these lip-service Christians and will ask them why they failed to keep His commandments if they claimed to love Him so much.
It's an example, and in that example they were born again believers (saved people). So, what happens to them when Christ asks them why they failed to do enough works?

Old 03-12-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Would that be kind of like that Good Samaritan who knew nothing about orthodoxy but, according to Jesus, everything about orthopraxy?
Did he make a profession out of "working for God"?

Old 03-12-2015, 10:52 AM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Maybe. There are also those who do the works just for the appearance. There are even people who make a profession out of "working for God", but have never been saved.
This reveals that you do NOT believe that Jesus saved us. You actually think WE save ourselves by what we do or do not do . . . think or do not think . . . believe or do not believe. Try to understand . . . we have nothing to do with our salvation . . . Christ did that. It is finished. We are responsible for our sanctification under His love for us all. That is why we are to love God and each other every day and repent when we don't.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:51 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
It's an example, and in that example they were born again believers (saved people). So, what happens to them when Christ asks them why they failed to do enough works?
For starters, I don't think that's what He'll ask them at all. I don't think there is such a thing as "enough works." At any rate, here's what Matthew 25:32-45 says about it:

And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats: And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:03 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,387,358 times
Quote:
For starters, I don't think that's what He'll ask them at all. I don't think there is such a thing as "enough works." At any rate, here's what Matthew 25:32-45 says about it:

And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats: And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
The problem is in distinguishing between "good deeds" and the "work" assigned to Christian. They are different issues. As an example Charitable deeds/works are to be done in hiding as it were, while the works Christ commanded are to be done in public view.

Look at the apostles as examples and recount their good deeds and what their works publiclly were. Two different things.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This reveals that you do NOT believe that Jesus saved us. You actually think WE save ourselves by what we do or do not do . . . think or do not think . . . believe or do not believe. Try to understand . . . we have nothing to do with our salvation . . . Christ did that. It is finished. We are responsible for our sanctification under His love for us all. That is why we are to love God and each other every day and repent when we don't.
Thanks for throwing in the universalist spin. Hope you have a great day.

PS Your statements about my beliefs are not correct.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
For starters, I don't think that's what He'll ask them at all. I don't think there is such a thing as "enough works."
Your words: He'll look at these lip-service Christians and will ask them why they failed to keep His commandments.

So, what happens to them?

Quote:
Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels
Quote:
Thanks for sharing your view.

I do not agree that happens to born again believers, but we can agree to disagree.

Did it happen to the thief on the cross? His only "work" was believe Jesus was the messiah.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:19 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,914,157 times
Quote:
Did it happen to the thief on the cross? His only "work" was believe Jesus was the messiah.
Right on schedule.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:20 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,914,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
The problem is in distinguishing between "good deeds" and the "work" assigned to Christian. They are different issues. As an example Charitable deeds/works are to be done in hiding as it were, while the works Christ commanded are to be done in public view.

Look at the apostles as examples and recount their good deeds and what their works publiclly were. Two different things.
At last we get an indication of the sophistry that may be used to excuse "true believers" from doing the things that we all know to be "good deeds."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity