Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 08:48 AM

939 posts, read 794,954 times

Advertisements

You are correct- it's just that for rich folks- putting God above their love of money seems to be very difficult for many. Even Christ Himself spoke of how difficult this would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 08:51 AM

709 posts, read 377,765 times
Default No one can serve two master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
I always thought accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord & Savior, trusting in Him and turning away from our sins is enough to be saved and have Eternal Life in Heaven.
The rich people's heart is in the mammon, instead in to God's will.

13. No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon (Luke 16:13)

Do not serve the mammon, but the Lord and God.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:59 AM

45,541 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Ainasoja View Post

13. No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon (Luke 16:13)

The bold above is an assumption. Abraham was rich... Matthew, being a tax collector in his day, had money and chose to follow Jesus... David, Solomon

Old 03-03-2015, 09:20 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Ainasoja View Post

Now there's a massive assumption. It's also a stereotype..... often made by people who resent or are jealous of the rich.

How can you possibly know what is in the hearts of the rich? I know some very wealthy Christians. They're wealthy because they worked very, very hard and made smart decisions.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 03-03-2015 at 09:46 AM..

Old 03-03-2015, 02:51 PM

368 posts, read 391,325 times
Quote:
I always thought accepting Jesus Christ as your Lord & Savior, trusting in Him and turning away from our sins is enough to be saved and have Eternal Life in Heaven.
You are not correct. This is an error taught by many Protestant sects, but it certainly isn't what Jesus Christ himself told us:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 25:31-46
"When the Son of man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate them one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, and he will place the sheep at his right hand, but the goats at the left. Then the King will say to those at his right hand, `Come, O blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.' Then the righteous will answer him, `Lord, when did we see thee hungry and feed thee, or thirsty and give thee drink? And when did we see thee a stranger and welcome thee, or naked and clothe thee? And when did we see thee sick or in prison and visit thee?'

And the King will answer them, `Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me.' Then he will say to those at his left hand, `Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.'

Then they also will answer, `Lord, when did we see thee hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to thee?'

Then he will answer them, `Truly, I say to you, as you did it not to one of the least of these, you did it not to me.' And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."
Do you see Christ saying anything at all like "accepting me and turning away from sin was good enough, welcome to heaven, even though you you never fed the hungry or gave drink to the thisty"? NO!! You see the exact opposite.

And how about this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 19:16-21
And behold, one came up to him, saying, "Teacher, what good deed must I do, to have eternal life?" And [Jesus] said to him, "Why do you ask me about what is good? One there is who is good. If you would enter life, keep the commandments." He said to him, "Which?" And Jesus said, "You shall not kill, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness, Honor your father and mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself." The young man said to him, "All these I have observed; what do I still lack?" Jesus said to him, "If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me."
The young man asks the question you claim to have the answer to: that is, what must you do to have eternal life? Does the man-made answer that you gave match that of Jesus Himself? Or don't you in fact contradict Jesus' own words?

And how about what Jesus says in Matthew 7:21?
Quote:
"Not every one who says to me, `Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.
Clearly, Jesus teaches us that being saved is not the result of an easy, lazy statement with the lips, but requires DOING something.

And look at this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke 6:46-49
"Why do you call me `Lord, Lord,' and not do what I tell you? Every one who comes to me and hears my words and does them, I will show you what he is like: he is like a man building a house, who dug deep, and laid the foundation upon rock; and when a flood arose, the stream broke against that house, and could not shake it, because it had been well built. But he who hears and does not do them is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation; against which the stream broke, and immediately it fell, and the ruin of that house was great."
All these people who teach that a simple confession of faith is all that is necessary to get you into heaven (and its wicked corollary of "once saved, always saved") are leading you into ruin. If you do not ACT on your proclaimed faith (because faith without works is dead....), you are building a house without a foundation, and Jesus explicitly and directly says that house will be ruined in the end!

Old 03-03-2015, 08:50 PM

283 posts, read 369,778 times
You got a roof? You're rich. You have a shoe? You're rich. You eaten this week? You're rich. It's interesting watching first-worlders discuss "the rich", as if those people were someone other than them.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:08 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWhiteBlue View Post
You are not correct. This is an error taught by many Protestant sects, but it certainly isn't what Jesus Christ himself told us:

Do you see Christ saying anything at all like "accepting me and turning away from sin was good enough, welcome to heaven, even though you you never fed the hungry or gave drink to the thisty"? NO!! You see the exact opposite.

And how about this:

The young man asks the question you claim to have the answer to: that is, what must you do to have eternal life? Does the man-made answer that you gave match that of Jesus Himself? Or don't you in fact contradict Jesus' own words?

And how about what Jesus says in Matthew 7:21?

Clearly, Jesus teaches us that being saved is not the result of an easy, lazy statement with the lips, but requires DOING something.

And look at this:

All these people who teach that a simple confession of faith is all that is necessary to get you into heaven (and its wicked corollary of "once saved, always saved") are leading you into ruin. If you do not ACT on your proclaimed faith (because faith without works is dead....), you are building a house without a foundation, and Jesus explicitly and directly says that house will be ruined in the end!
Jesus also said this:

John 3:16

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

"Easy believism" is not what Protestants believe. We believe this:

Romans 10:9-10

that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:26 PM

368 posts, read 391,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post

"Easy believism" is not what Protestants believe. We believe this:

Romans 10:9-10

that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.
Oh -- so Paul is right (ro rather, your spin on Paul is right...), and the plain words of Jesus Christ are wrong.

Well, that clears everything up.

Except -- which one was God Incarnate, Jesus Christ or Paul (or should I say "you"?)

Old 03-03-2015, 10:05 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWhiteBlue View Post
Oh -- so Paul is right (ro rather, your spin on Paul is right...), and the plain words of Jesus Christ are wrong.

Well, that clears everything up.

Except -- which one was God Incarnate, Jesus Christ or Paul (or should I say "you"?)
Did you not see my quote from Jesus? Why did you cut that verse out when quoting me?

Old 03-05-2015, 11:26 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Quote:
If you save long enough you end up rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity