Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2015, 02:03 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,419,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
But, Finn, try to remember that that wording was the second revision of your original challenge, and the point being made here is that the Spirit DOES contradict what is said in the Bible.
I believe its called moving the goal posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Is that an example of a verse where the Spirit told you something which contradicts the words of Christ as recorded in the Bible? No, therefore it is not an answer. You might as well tell me the score of a basketball game and insist it's an answer. You are quoting historical events from the old testament, so there is nothing to contradict even if I had asked about the entire Bible, not just words of Jesus, which I have been asking about recently.
By the way, don't you believe that Jesus is God, and that the bible is God's word? So, in your view, everything written in the bible are the words of God/Jesus, including the OT, right?

76,971 posts, read 47,731,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I believe its called moving the goal posts.
I believe I can ask any question I want.

I take it this is another dodge, and I should not expect an answer

18,513 posts, read 9,194,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Ah, so the possibility exists that the Spirit is voluntarily subject to the book.
You really don't like the idea of the "spirit" never contradicting the Christian bible. Why is that? Is it too confining?

What exactly is the "spirit" anyway? Is it a feeling? An overwhelming emotion? Part of the Christian God (like I was taught?)

The Holy Spirit doesn't even show up much in the Christian bible. He makes a cameo during the baptism of Jesus, where he takes the form of a dove. And then he takes the form of a violent wind and tongues of fire at Pentecost. That's about it. The New Testament mainly talks about the Father and the Son. The Holy Ghost doesn't get much airtime.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:15 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,731,758 times
Quote:
By the way, don't you believe that Jesus is God, and that the bible is God's word? So, in your view, everything written in the bible are the words of God/Jesus, including the OT, right?
Answer the question, or admit you do not have an answer. Don't ask others to explain stuff to you when they asked you a simple question. It's called dodging.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:27 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,546,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You obviously have not been following what i have been saying Gary. Not once have i underestimated the scriptures, i am highlighting what they are and what they are not. Highlighting the mind set of the christian fundamentalist that although he cannot see it, speaks like the spirit and the bible are the same. They are not. Simple as that.
Yes, I have been following what you are saying. What you think you are saying and how many of us interprete what you are saying, are two differant things.

We see you condemning and calling us "Biblians" if we say that all of the Bible is the Word of God and you say that we worship the Bible. Well, I for one do say that all of the Bible is the Word of God but not all of the Word of God. Jesus had many things to say that were new but not contridictory except to those who misunderstand. He also verified that the Old Testament is the Word of God.

Jesus also said that much more is to be said by Him but it would take the Spirit speaking to those born of the Spirit to understand. It is written, JN 16:12-13 "I have yet many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. Howbeit when He, the Spirit of Truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for He shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever He shall hear, that shall He speak: and He will shew you things to come."

The Bible is fundamental to explain some of ways of God's thoughts and actions in the world through example and through doctrine and nothing that God does in the future will contradict the examples that are written. The written word was insired by the Spirit and is now interpreted by the Spirit to those who have the Spirit but not all at once and only what you need as an individual. We are all in the growing process.

God is not in the business of changeing His ways or else who could we trust Him.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:35 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,823,451 times
Quote:
It is not illogical when you understand that the bible is not infallible nor inerrant.

And, if God was ever in the habit of giving revelations, and God is unchanging, then why would you say God has changed into a God who doesn't give revelations anymore?
Because Jesus said, "It is finished!"

Old 03-30-2015, 02:37 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,350,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
Yes, I have been following what you are saying. What you think you are saying and how many of us interprete what you are saying, are two differant things.

We see you condemning and calling us "Biblians" if we say that all of the Bible is the Word of God and you say that we worship the Bible. Well, I for one do say that all of the Bible is the Word of God but not all of the Word of God. Jesus had many things to say that were new but not contridictory except to those who misunderstand. He also verified that the Old Testament is the Word of God.

Jesus also said that much more is to be said by Him but it would take the Spirit speaking to those born of the Spirit to understand. It is written, JN 16:12-13 "I have yet many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. Howbeit when He, the Spirit of Truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for He shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever He shall hear, that shall He speak: and He will shew you things to come."

The Bible is fundamental to explain some of ways of God's thoughts and actions in the world through example and through doctrine and nothing that God does in the future will contradict the examples that are written. The written word was insired by the Spirit and is now interpreted by the Spirit to those who have the Spirit but not all at once and only what you need as an individual. We are all in the growing process.

God is not in the business of changeing His ways or else who could we trust Him.
I do not think you have, i have not used the word biblean on this thread. In fact i have been calling you christian fundamentalists rather than just fundamentalists, and not once on this thread have i said you worship the bible.

I have been highlighting the error of what you believe the bible is and the error of equating it to be the same as the spirit.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Because Jesus said, "It is finished!"
So, should everything in the bible after that, be deleted?

Old 03-30-2015, 03:11 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,947,173 times
^Wow! THIS claim is even more restrictive than the one about anything written after Revelation or the one where the writings of Paul "complete" the inspired word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity