Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 12:17 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
It shouldn't be damaging to a child to teach them to accept responsibility and make amends in a good way. Even young children have a marvelous capacity to understand and empathize with the need to make things right, on an age appropriate level. It takes good parenting skills to teach that quality in a loving way, and to model it for them in daily life.

In what sense are you asking this question? From the standpoint that it's part of some forgiveness cycle, where the wronged party is required to forgive the wrong, and the bad actor is required to reciprocate with an apology? Otherwise the wrong is not really forgiven?
I should have been more clear in my OP. I meant asking for forgiveness from God not others. I agree that it is a good thing to make amends with others, more for your sake than theirs.

So that is why the question of is it fair to teach that you must ask God for forgiveness for every perceived wrong to children who may not even understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 12:20 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,785,792 times
Asking forgiveness is showing God you love Him by keeping His word and walking in His teaching.

"Keep the commandments of the Lord by walking in His ways and revering Him."

Old 05-16-2015, 12:34 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
The hardest word to say (and mean) in the English language is.... I'm sorry. Saying I'm sorry is admitting a wrong (perceived or true) and asking for forgiveness. Teaching a child to overcome selfishness (natural) and pride (learned) can only serve them in the future. However... Not all parents "teach" well nor do we all remember our lessons.

Forgive your parents and ask God to help you understand (wisdom). You do not have to be a Christian for that... but it does require faith.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:50 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Forgiveness sets you free from the bondage imposed by others.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:27 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Forgiveness sets you free from the bondage imposed by others.
"The son of man has the power to forgive sin."

Old 05-16-2015, 06:35 PM

63,812 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
You don't have to verbally ask for forgiveness or even tell another person you forgive them as some sort of silly Biblical requirement for God to forgive you. If it's from the heart it's a done deal, although there are certain psychological and emotional benefits for you and the other person when you do make it a verbal thing.
People describing NDE's life reviews said the No. 1 thing they were called on was hurting another person but they weren't judged for it. Nobody gets judged by God after death. Countless NDE'ers say they judge themselves by being put in the shoes of the people they hurt to learn how painful their victims felt.
Excellent observation. This is what I believe reaping what we sow actually means.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I think it is a wonderful thing that lifts off all forms of condemnation from us so to know that our Heavenly Father's forgiveness is continually flowing unconditionally, by the knowledge of this we cannot help but be likewise. The knowledge of the the unconditional forgiveness of God frees us from the burden placed upon us by orthodox religion, and guides us into the path of peace.
It IS freeing indeed to know the perfect agape love for us ALL of God and Jesus, pcamps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
God wants your love! and parents want your love!... but parents are fallible. Think a bit more rudimentary... Love your God with all your heart and honor your mother and father, then re-ask the question.... not as a requirement but an exercise. Does it sound different? does it feel different?
I know that God wants your heart but I also know He wants your actions and words to honor Him. This not "religion"... it's a relationship. In the Lords prayer we ask God for forgiveness, both for what others have done and then ask for our own forgiveness, out loud. Our "confession" can be best done (IMO) between Jesus and our self. For me, I like the Holy Spirit to "take over" in a quiet place and let the conversation flow... sometime out loud and sometimes in thought. I find driving a back road with no traffic, windows open, is good for me.
It's good to ask a child about their behavior and help them understand what is right and wrong but it isn't good to render guilt and consequences. Learn to live and pass it on.
...just sayin'
Well said, Dave . . . but I suspect you misunderstood Kat's OP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Outstanding post. The only thing wrong with the OP, IMO, is that it looks like an exercise practiced to keep them from going to Hell if they die before they perform it. This may just have been a child's understanding. A period of reflection on the day is not at all a bad idea for anyone, not just the shortcomings, but the joys.
Amen, nate! But I think you also misunderstood Kat's OP. I do NOT think she believes in an eternal torment hell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I should have been more clear in my OP. I meant asking for forgiveness from God not others. I agree that it is a good thing to make amends with others, more for your sake than theirs.
So that is why the question of is it fair to teach that you must ask God for forgiveness for every perceived wrong to children who may not even understand.
QED.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Excellent observation. This is what I believe reaping what we sow actually means.
It IS freeing indeed to know the perfect agape love for us ALL of God and Jesus, pcamps.
Amen, nate! But I think you also misunderstood Kat's OP. I do NOT think she believes in an eternal torment hell.
QED.
Yes Mystic, I was referring to asking God when he should already know if you want to be forgiven or are remorseful. I was taught as a small child that I would burn in hell if I died without asking for forgiveness. It caused me to be so fearful every day and night.

I have since then studied and know that is a false doctrine but I worry about the practice of it damaging kids in mainstream Christianity.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:07 PM

63,812 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
QED.
Quote:
Yes Mystic, I was referring to asking God when he should already know if you want to be forgiven or are remorseful. I was taught as a small child that I would burn in hell if I died without asking for forgiveness. It caused me to be so fearful every day and night.
I have since then studied and know that is a false doctrine but I worry about the practice of it damaging kids in mainstream Christianity.
And it is indeed a VERY damaging belief to foist upon innocent children, Kat. It is a TRUE sacrilege! The majority anti-Christ apostate churches are indeed misleading many as was prophesied for these "latter days." Jesus cannot be pleased at the damage being done to such tender and innocent souls He asked to be taught of Him.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:11 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
In all I have read from Christians and my experience as a Christian, it is always a requirement to ask for forgiveness. My family made it a bedtime ritual in case you died in your sleep.

Why would God, who sees and knows all, need that verbal declaration?

AND...

Isn't that damaging to a child who may not fully understand?

Thoughts?
He doesn't. Jesus died once for all. Our sin debt was nailed to the cross. We were forgiven at the time of the crucifixion...not when we ask for forgiveness of each individual sin.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
He doesn't. Jesus died once for all. Our sin debt was nailed to the cross. We were forgiven at the time of the crucifixion...not when we ask for forgiveness of each individual sin.
I understand that and appreciate that belief yet I was raised in a strict penacostal environment where threats of hell if not forgiven were common as well as the threat of dying in the tribulation if not raptured. I think these doctrines are damaging to children who really are just forming their concept of right and wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity